It'd be nice if the game could detect when I field a weakened side

I won the league five games ahead of time and the only trophy left to compete for was a cup final. However there was only a three day gap between the final and end of the season. In this league (the Welsh Premier) money is tight, squads are small and players are unfit. So resting players before a big final is very advantagous.

In this case I said 'sod it' to my unbeaten run and rested the entire to side to maxmize my team's freshness. I fielded a side that included only fringe players, transfer-listed reserves and unblooded youth in an otherwise meaningless game.

I was somewhat disappointed when the game failed to take any notice of my changes and expressed shock at my subsequent away defeat. Neither the fans or pundits took notice beforehand. All I got was a measily press conferance response.

It's been a while since i've done something this extreme, but I had hoped FM 11 would have progressed to the point where it could tell the difference between a team that includes the league's top stars and wee Jimmy Mc'Hoofit, Alan Nohoper and Michael Hiscareerwillneverreallytakeoffitwasprettymuchdeadbeforeitstarted.

I sometimes get questions in press conferences that relate to me fielding a weakened team...............normally it just says..........'you must be pleased having won when resting some of your first team'.................or words to that affect so it must register somewhere.

I agree if they insist on keeping media interaction in and expanding it, this is definately an area which they should improve. I did a similar thing, rested some players before a big CL match (im playing Ajax) then went on to draw that game and my entire team were devastated, there was a media feeding frenzy and we proceeded to go on to the worst run I had all season as a result. Really the senior players who did play should have coped with the draw almost as if nothing happened, it was clear why I fielded a weakened side and with a 15 point lead in the league over 2nd place it was hardly a problem, likewise the media should have noticed the upcoming CL game and realised why I did it.

I get this the other way round - continuously being asked about my feelings having fielded a weakened side. Apparently every side I've ever put out is weakened...

So it would definitely be nice if the game was smart enough to tell when you were really putting out a weakened side.

Just to be clear, 9-11 of the players in the team will be part of what I consider my "first team" with appropriate squad statuses (rotation, important, key). So I'm a bit miffed as to what the game bases this assumption on. It's not like I've fielded a bunch of strangers who've never played a game or anything, and the odd "hot prospect" or "backup" player is usually in there to cover for injuries/unfit players...

I get this the other way round - continuously being asked about my feelings having fielded a weakened side. Apparently every side I've ever put out is weakened...

So it would definitely be nice if the game was smart enough to tell when you were really putting out a weakened side.

Just to be clear, 9-11 of the players in the team will be part of what I consider my "first team" with appropriate squad statuses (rotation, important, key). So I'm a bit miffed as to what the game bases this assumption on. It's not like I've fielded a bunch of strangers who've never played a game or anything, and the odd "hot prospect" or "backup" player is usually in there to cover for injuries/unfit players...

I can only really imagine then that it was either a bug or it was basing it on totals of the player's CA or PA.

This is a little broken on the game especially when you start and takeover the club. It'll say for the first few weeks 'you must be happy to win resting so many players' when you're just playing the first team you want to play. It eventually works it out, but whatever the logic is behind it doesn't work as it should.

This is a little broken on the game especially when you start and takeover the club. It'll say for the first few weeks 'you must be happy to win resting so many players' when you're just playing the first team you want to play. It eventually works it out, but whatever the logic is behind it doesn't work as it should.

Or maybe it's the game's way of telling you that you're leaving out good players?

I agree, purely because of one question in the post-match interviews.

My way of picking my team, at least at the start of the season when I have no form to make a decision on, I do the following.

1) Decide which attributes I think are key for each position.

2) In Excel make a table with each player from each position with all of those key attributes typed out.

3) Sum the attributes.

4) Whoever has the highest total from those key attributes gets played.

The reason I do this is because I would rather play somebody who is good in the key areas and crap in the others than somebody who is average across the board.

With this method I nearly always end up putting out a team that isn't simply my best XI player in terms of CA so every single match I get a question from the media about whether the result changed my opinion of whether picking "a weakened side" was a good idea. In my opinion I havn't picked a weakened side, I've picked the best side I can but even if I play an unchanged side for months I still get the question about picking a weakened side. So bloody annoying.

With this method I nearly always end up putting out a team that isn't simply my best XI player in terms of CA so every single match I get a question from the media about whether the result changed my opinion of whether picking "a weakened side" was a good idea. In my opinion I havn't picked a weakened side, I've picked the best side I can but even if I play an unchanged side for months I still get the question about picking a weakened side. So bloody annoying.

My approach entirely, maybe it's a reputation issue, just like everything almost everything else :D

I sometimes get questions in press conferences that relate to me fielding a weakened team...............normally it just says..........'you must be pleased having won when resting some of your first team'.................or words to that affect so it must register somewhere.

yes this is right

maybe a selection reason in the match prep could be a good option to add in. To explain to the players why you have selected the side the way you have.

something like:

1. Your the players to win the game (for your 1st team and when playing a weakened side because of poor opposition)

2. I need to rest a few players for our upcoming big fixture

Haven't thought it through fully but you get the gist.

Then the journo's can question your reasons rather than assuming you picked a weakened side.

"So why did you select the players you did?"

1. to rest a few...

2. as these are my best players

3. i felt these players had enough to win this paticular game.

etc...

This was just off the top of my head and not ironed out.

maybe a selection reason in the match prep could be a good option to add in. To explain to the players why you have selected the side the way you have.

something like:

1. Your the players to win the game (for your 1st team and when playing a weakened side because of poor opposition)

2. I need to rest a few players for our upcoming big fixture

Haven't thought it through fully but you get the gist.

Then the journo's can question your reasons rather than assuming you picked a weakened side.

"So why did you select the players you did?"

1. to rest a few...

2. as these are my best players

3. i felt these players had enough to win this paticular game.

etc...

This was just off the top of my head and not ironed out.

I kinda get the idea... but I don't think that I would tell 11 players that they were my "best" players... forget squad statuses, every player thinks he's better than his peers, telling them they're not is a sure fire way to pee them off...

That is sort of what I was trying to add in. As we know every option selected has an effect on morale, confidence etc...

It would have to be thought out much better by the professionals but I was just throwing an option out there.

Just so it can change the stance of the journo's really. Rather than assuming you picked a weakened side, kind of asking you if you did instead.

I just played a friendly agaisnt a weaker side, it finished 3-3 and the comments after the game was that I had no right to be happy with my teams performance. Maybe it should had been different if the game had taken into account that I had 29 players away on international duty. I played the entire game with 15-17 year old half to one star ability and prospect players, everyone else was on international duty.

Archived