How many players should you have in your team?

Ok i've been playing the game a while now but never seem to be able to get to grips with keeping my players fit. On my current save im Sheffield Wednesday in my 2nd season. Im looking at back to back promotions too. Anyway since about game 30 of the season I have been struggling to keep my players fitness up. I only have about 20 players in my first team squad and i change my team around as much as i can. However they all seem to be drasically unfit. I had them on Heavy training up until month 2 of the season and they were only focusing on Strength and Aerobic as i though they might be able to last the season. How wrong i was.

Anyway all my players seem to be really unfit. How can i stop this?

Take them off heavy training, cut down on the strength/aerobic categories and get a few more. I tend to have approx 23-25 in my first team squad.

You can't expect them to be fit to play when they spend 10 hours a day in a gym ;)

Yeah, sounds like a plan. However i only kept them on for the first 2 months so they could get their fitness and stamina up full. I then created schedules that were on "medium" and not there all foo bard. Does the lighter you make training equal to having a fitter team or just a better conditioned one?

I usually keep my squad's overall training on heavy but I keep the physical training on medium. Try giving them a day or two rest every now and again especially if you have a busy run of matches. You'll still get injuries but it shouldn't affect the bulk of your squad.

Ok cheers. It would be cool if you could automatically schedule training. Between date x and x train intensive, between day x and day x train light, rest on day x and x... etc etc etc. Probably could be something that could be added to the next installment.

First Team squad, I usually have about 20-21 players, with about 5 set to available for reserve team. If you have mid-week matches, after your match I sent the starting 11 to rest for a day, usually works a treat.

Ok cheers. It would be cool if you could automatically schedule training. Between date x and x train intensive, between day x and day x train light, rest on day x and x... etc etc etc. Probably could be something that could be added to the next installment.

Funnily enough, this sounds similar to the old system ^_^

i usually have 2 players for each position, i also try and find players who cover a few positions to cut down on the squad size, i would say my first team squad is rarely over 20 players, with 3-4 good under 19's to back them up and play cup games.

that 'overall training' is the coaches workload, not the squads...

I have as many as I have... sometimes that is a large (30+) squad, others I might have only 18 players + youths. generally I like to have a squad of 23 first team players who can all do a job at various stages of the season.

As for keeping them fit, their training schedules are mostly on one notch from heavy, they play regularly and I rest them occasionally - especially after a tough run of games. I don't seem to have any problems with fitness, even with my 6 stamina full-back whose condition can drop to the 40's some matches...

I had 25, then I reduced it to 22 to get more playing time to everyone, but I feel I'm 1-2 players short. Right amount should be 23-25. Especially in first half of the season when playing cups and european competitions I see that when you have like 6 games in 3 weeks it's hard to keep fitness level high enough.

Obviously, it also depends on injuries. 22 might be enough if you're lucky to be injury free.

However, when all players are fit and you're just playing 1 game in a week in March/April, you might feel that even 22 is too much.

I tend to play a 4-4-2 so generally two players for each role. Then I try to have some extra players who can cover multiple positions in case of an injury crisis (e.g. a D(RCL), M(RCL), AM/ST). Just gives a little bit of security in case.

23-25 for me

2-3 GK

2 LB

2 RB

4 CB

4 CM

2 RW

2 LW

4 FW

Basically this apart from I only have 2 goalkeepers - I've never had injury problems with my keepers

extra defender - a youth defender that comes on as a sub when I'm in a commanding position

extra midfielder - ^^^

Squad of 22 which is perfect in my opinion with another 3 slots for U-19's who impress so they can get some game time and develop in senior team when right moment comes like I'm already qualified from group stage of Europa league or in easy cup games, etc.

So 22 seniors + 3 promising youngsters to provide further depth/cover.

Once I no longer feel there is a point in itself to let a player have a place in either the 1st or 2nd XI, I get rid of him. I rotate very heavily, so every player in the team apart from the 2-3 very best gets almost an equal amount of matches. This doesn't mean I have 22 equally good players. The first XI gets played against the big teams or when the second XI is too tired, but who is in the 1st XI is evaluated several times a year.

As long as the 2nd XI is good enough to win most matches in the league and cup rounds until the finals, it can consist of any number of promising youngsters. And as long as they are developing towards 3 stars or better, or is at a CA of 3 stars playing well, I normally feel there is a point in playing them (especially if I was the one who got them to the club). As such, I don't have 22 senior players in the squad.

2 keepers in the first team, plus at least one hot prospect

At least 2 right backs

At least 2 left backs

At least 4 central defenders

- amongst them, players that can play in more than one position so that the grand total is really 3 L/R backs and 5 CD - eventually a 9th defender.

4 defensive midfielders, plus possibly a fifth if none of the defenders can play in that position in an emergency

2 right wingers

2 left wingers

- plus one backup in each position through a fifth winger if some can play on both sides, or through strikers also being wingers

4 strikers

- plus one fifth if none of the youngsters can step up

Depends on the number of fixtures (England is fixture-heavy, although the EPL is much lighter if you aren't fighting on European fronts) and the number of players you have who can play in several positions.

I'll want 2 players per position (3 keepers; one of them youth), but the same player may well be covering for 2 or more positions, and some cover will come from hot prospects who are on the verge of being good enough and those still cutting their teeth in the reserves.

At the moment, for example my reserves and first team are:

16 first team players proper (Key, Important, Rotation), with every position except for right wing well covered (I just sold my other winger)

3 hot prospects who are good enough for the first team and will also be rotated

10 backup/fringe prospects, some of whom will probably still get 20 games with sub appearances, while others will go out on loan (my 3rd keeper included, but always with the option to recall the keeper!)

It's very important to remember to make players unavailable for the reserves when you suffer injuries or fixture congestion!

Archived