and what did you select for your reputation when you started?

Doesnt matter in reference to the game being realistic.

However, for the game to be truly realistic, everyone should be required to start at the bottom and work their way up the ladder. Or, do we bitch and whine only about things being unrealistic only when it suits?

Doesnt matter in reference to the game being realistic.

However, for the game to be truly realistic, everyone should be required to start at the bottom and work their way up the ladder. Or, do we bitch and whine only about things being unrealistic only when it suits?

If he started as an "International Footballer" then of course it matters - How do you think Guardiola got the job in real life? It certainly wasn't because of his "World Class" managing ability.

If he started as an "International Footballer" then of course it matters - How do you think Guardiola got the job in real life? It certainly wasn't because of his "World Class" managing ability.

Guardiola wasnt managing in the third level of football. Its completely unrealistic to think anyone would make that jump to Barcelona. Not that Im complaining; this is a game after all.

Yeah, if you choose International Footballer of course you will be. If players want to play for you because you're such a well known footballer, then people will want to employ you.

That's if he did choose that.

Guardiola wasnt managing in the third level of football. Its completely unrealistic to think anyone would make that jump to Barcelona. Not that Im complaining; this is a game after all.

Surely its more unrealistic to find a top class international footballer, managing in the 3rd tier..........

Actually he was managing in the fourth tier. He was the Barcelona B coach before taking over the first team.

Well, he was ok..........

Maybe Saints Forever is more famous than Gus Poyet, hence why Barca want him.......maybe he might have played for them in the past

Poyet was class... first name in my fantasy teams for years...

• Administrators

'Linked' yes, offered no. I know it's still a bit unrealistic, but who can control what an awful newspaper writes? Seriously though, we're aware of this and it's something we're looking into - as people have correctly said, a lot does depend on what reputation you give yourself at the start.

So, the local Southampton press has linked an ex international with a top job. Have you read a paper lately?

As pointed out, Guardiola was managing Barcelona B, which is at a level akin to League 1 / League 2.

I can give endless examples of top ex-players who got a shot at the big time without doing anything to deserve it - Van Basten, Klinsmann etc

Surely its more unrealistic to find a top class international footballer, managing in the 3rd tier..........

Gus Poyet (Brighton), Paul Ince (Macclesfield, MK Dons, Blackburn), David Platt (Forest), Nigel Clough(Burton, Derby), Ian Rush (Chester), Jon Barnes(tranmere), Mark Wright (Chester) to name a few international/ prem players who started at lower clubs.

It is a tad unrealistic though, I had a similar thing happen to me. I had taken Redditch from the BSN up to the play offs in league 1, when Real Madrid came in and actually offered me the managers job for 52,000 a week. I wanted to take Redditch to the top though so I declined. Oddly, in the same season, I applied for the Spurs job (just to see if they would offer it) but it went to Joe Royle instead! So im head hunted by Real madrid but Spurs want Joe Royle..... something fishy going on there.

'Linked' yes, offered no. I know it's still a bit unrealistic, but who can control what an awful newspaper writes? Seriously though, we're aware of this and it's something we're looking into - as people have correctly said, a lot does depend on what reputation you give yourself at the start.

Seems like this has now been tipped too far the other way for 11.3 as before the final patch it was very hard to get better jobs?

Gus Poyet (Brighton), Paul Ince (Macclesfield, MK Dons, Blackburn), David Platt (Forest), Nigel Clough(Burton, Derby), Ian Rush (Chester), Jon Barnes(tranmere), Mark Wright (Chester) to name a few international/ prem players who started at lower clubs.

See this is where everyone's line is different - i would class them as internationals yes but world class???

Could you see someone like Frank Rijkaard taking the Crewe job? - he went straight in at the top with Holland :D

Similar to the thread I just started - you're getting offered the barca job from league 1, im getting offered (and only offered) blue square from the premier league! This reputation you pick at the start bares more relevance than I ever knew!

Archived