Shots on goal/goals scored issue

I started noticing this in FM10 and my annoyance have only grown since then to the point where it's actually a game breaker.

To explain what I mean I have done several different saves with different teams and strikers. It seems that a normal game for me with Liverpool(Suarez, Neymar, Mauro Zarate and Gerrard as offensive forces) will consist of about 12-25 shots on goal. A game with around 20 shots on goal will often result in maybe 1 or 2 goals.

Now, if this happened now and then it would be fine, but this seems to be the standard of this game. The shots on goal vs goals scored ratio is totally insane. The opponents gk seems to be a god in goal and yet the gk is rarely getting the man of the match award.

This would also be fine if the shots on goal were lousy or from really hard angles, but the shots on goal are often results of Suarez or whoever running absolutely free for 10 meters before striking at goal(only GK left to beat).

Is this realistic in any way?

To illustrate my point I have two examples below:

skamttillspel.jpg

omg2.jpg

Can I get the match statistics from history somehow? I didnt take a screen of that. But I usually put long shots on rarely on almost all my players(except long shots >= 18) since they will shoot at all times, from all angles and all distances with extremely low precision. I'd say 1/100 goes into the back of the net.

you can go into each match, then go into match stats, and there is a screen that will show where the shots have come from. Its really impossible to fully comment but thats a massive amount of shots every game i would suggest your team could be rushing forward a bit only to run out of options and choose to have a go from anywhere, but thats just one possible explanation.

Congrats! I've never had a problem with this and in fact my Honved side just beat Liverpool 2-0 to send them out of the Champions League. I think we had 15 shots for our 2 goals. Nothing wrong there.

But yes, I could post a lot of stats here for you, but maybe tomorrow.

Personally, I'd be trying to fix your tactics, there's no way that you should be getting that.

Its defo not a gamebreaker. Your unlucky but your strikers aren't in form and it wasn't their day. 10 long shots, possession is equal. CCC is 5 but thats the way it goes. Its a minor occurrence.

Its not a minor occurrence, this is the norm for my games. Thats the problem. I have played so many games that I start to see the pattern, goal chances after goal chances wasted. Game after game. I score more from corners then from the striker being 1on1 with GK.

Daniel Agger won the internal scoring first season...

Actually, I'll just post those stats now. This season for my team we've taken 664 shots (264 on target) and scored 88 goals. As such the shot accuracy is 39.8% and I'm scoring a goal every 7.55 shots. I've posted stats from another save from patch 11.2 before as well and these stats match up quite well to both that and the real life figures which is around ~7-8 shots per goal if I remember correctly.

In any case you'll get matches like this, and you'll sometimes get matches where you scored every shot, it happens. There's no issue here and posting it under that name is a bit... well... False, let's just say.

Its not a minor occurrence, this is the norm for my games. Thats the problem. I have played so many games that I start to see the pattern, goal chances after goal chances wasted. Game after game. I score more from corners then from the striker being 1on1 with GK.

Daniel Agger won the internal scoring first season...

On top of the stats that my team score at 7.55 shots per goal it turns out that in Brazil's first division the figure is ~7.14 for shots in the box and ~31.3 outside of it.

Also it turn out that Coventry City were the worst side in the Championship at one point with a goal every 11.19 shots.

The problem is pressure or complacency (or both), usually resulting from being involved in a title challenge or extended winning streak (or both).

Suarez and Neymar are relatively mediocre at pressure handling and professionalism so that probably explains why it's hitting you especially hard.

Slowing down your tempo will help a bit, you might also try pulling back an attacking player into a more supportive role, but there's no way to get rid of the problem entirely. It's just an aspect of the psychology engine that you have to accept (as far as this edition is concerned, at least).

Huh? You are basing my "issues" on your stats?

Are you saying you have issues? Because I never said anything of the like. I did say that; "There's no issue here", but that isn't saying that you or anyone else have issues.

Now, as neither I nor any team that I can find in my game have had this issue it clearly doesn't exist, at least not as a bug. Something must be seriously wrong with your tactics or you're picking out one or two games. My stats are based on over 40 matches and as mentioned are very similar to those over 60 games and 65 games from about 3 months ago. On top of that they match up well with real life figures again suggesting that there isn't a problem. If you'd like I could also do as I once did and gather data on some other midtable clubs, but that'll have to wait for now.

Huh? You are basing my "issues" on your stats?

I suspect your problem is a fairly common tactical issue we see on the forums. Post up a screenshot of your tactical screen and you'll get some advice although the best advice can be found in the tactics & training forum.

In terms of long shots simply setting them to rarely is just trying to paper over the cracks in your tactic. Rather than telling them not to take long shots figure out why they are taking shots and deal with those issues. These are things like mentality, tempo, passing range, having players available to receive passes etc.

Did you not read it correct? "this happens regularly for me" not a one off, anyway i'm not complaining.

Do me a favour, take a tally of all the shots your team has taken in all matches. I'm curious to see if what you say is true or just an artefact of the human mind.

Are you saying you have issues? Because I never said anything of the like. I did say that; "There's no issue here", but that isn't saying that you or anyone else have issues.

Now, as neither I nor any team that I can find in my game have had this issue it clearly doesn't exist, at least not as a bug. Something must be seriously wrong with your tactics or you're picking out one or two games. My stats are based on over 40 matches and as mentioned are very similar to those over 60 games and 65 games from about 3 months ago. On top of that they match up well with real life figures again suggesting that there isn't a problem. If you'd like I could also do as I once did and gather data on some other midtable clubs, but that'll have to wait for now.

Exatly, so you are basing my (according to you)none-issue, hence the "issue", on your own stats. You are contributing nothing, but thanks for the involvement.

Thank you Ego Scriptor, that do makes sense! I will look into it.

Do me a favour, take a tally of all the shots your team has taken in all matches. I'm curious to see if what you say is true or just an artefact of the human mind.

I ain't gonna go through every game lol but just looking at a few, Man U v Cardiff in the cup 34 shots to their 3 drew 0-0 won on penalties, against Ajax 24 to their 4 drew 0-0, against bolton 24 to their 4 won 2-1 from an own goal.

Madrid 29 to las palmas 4, won 1-0, 23 to A.Madrid's 2 won 1-0 with an own goal, 22 to almeria's 6 drew 2-2.

These are only a few, just looked at the games where there was a 1 goal difference or a draw etc.

But just to say again, I'm not complaining just something that happens to me.

I ain't gonna go through every game lol but just looking at a few, Man U v Cardiff in the cup 34 shots to their 3 drew 0-0 won on penalties, against Ajax 24 to their 4 drew 0-0, against bolton 24 to their 4 won 2-1 from an own goal.

Madrid 29 to las palmas 4, won 1-0, 23 to A.Madrid's 2 won 1-0 with an own goal, 22 to almeria's 6 drew 2-2.

These are only a few, just looked at the games where there was a 1 goal difference or a draw etc.

But you can't handpick games if you're supposed to see a trend..

But you can't handpick games if you're supposed to see a trend..

Yes i know that, I'm not saying that it happens every game but often when I draw it happens.

I'm sure a lot of people will put it down to complacency but when I watch a game where a team's complacent they tend to just not play well as a whole not just lose the ability to hit the back of the net.

i wouldnt put it down to complacency at all, i would say if it happens regularly for you, then you should look at what is going wrong tactically, having lots of shots doesnt always equate to having a succesful tactic. As cougar suggested maybe post up your tactics and see if we can help you a bit.

i wouldnt put it down to complacency at all, i would say if it happens regularly for you, then you should look at what is going wrong tactically, having lots of shots doesnt always equate to having a succesful tactic. As cougar suggested maybe post up your tactics and see if we can help you a bit.

Madrid tactic http://i.imgur.com/azBuO.png

I've read through your posts and had a look at your screenshot - A few things spring to mind.

A) What roles do you attacking players have?

Pato - Poacher? or Advanced forward?

Neymar/Ronaldo - Inside forward? maybe winger

Henrique - Attacking midfielder?

Wilshere - Adv playmaker?

B) Shots - You seem to have a lot. Where & who do they mainly come from? Does Pato have more than half of them? What sort of % are long shots?

The main thing that springs to mind is that there is/was an exploit in the ME where the opposition DCs left too much space between them which meant quick, lone, poacher forwards were allowed too many shots/chances. These looked far better on the 3d than the ME calculated them to be resulting in a high % missed. These type of chances aren't easy to create in real life and its a weakness in the FM ME which means you you actually see a lot of shots.

If your tactic is built around creating this type of chance you will encounter the issue that the op and yourself are seeing. What you need to do is review your tactic and focus on creating other types of chances.

In terms of improving your tactic I'm not keen on "Shorter" passing, I see this as limiting a player who has the ability to spot & play a longer pass. I also think a problem you'll encounter is when Henrique/Wilshere have the ball the three main attacking players Pato/Ronaldo/Neymar will all be running away from the ball looking to get behind the defence. If the pass from Henrique/Wilshere is delayed the defence will mark the front three out of the play leaving Henrique/Wilshere with a lack of passing options meaning they'll need to hold play up until the front three drop back to attempt the runs again.

I've read through your posts and had a look at your screenshot - A few things spring to mind.

A) What roles do you attacking players have?

Pato - Poacher? or Advanced forward?

Neymar/Ronaldo - Inside forward? maybe winger

Henrique - Attacking midfielder?

Wilshere - Adv playmaker?

B) Shots - You seem to have a lot. Where & who do they mainly come from? Does Pato have more than half of them? What sort of % are long shots?

The main thing that springs to mind is that there is/was an exploit in the ME where the opposition DCs left too much space between them which meant quick, lone, poacher forwards were allowed too many shots/chances. These looked far better on the 3d than the ME calculated them to be resulting in a high % missed. These type of chances aren't easy to create in real life and its a weakness in the FM ME which means you you actually see a lot of shots.

If your tactic is built around creating this type of chance you will encounter the issue that the op and yourself are seeing. What you need to do is review your tactic and focus on creating other types of chances.

In terms of improving your tactic I'm not keen on "Shorter" passing, I see this as limiting a player who has the ability to spot & play a longer pass. I also think a problem you'll encounter is when Henrique/Wilshere have the ball the three main attacking players Pato/Ronaldo/Neymar will all be running away from the ball looking to get behind the defence. If the pass from Henrique/Wilshere is delayed the defence will mark the front three out of the play leaving Henrique/Wilshere with a lack of passing options meaning they'll need to hold play up until the front three drop back to attempt the runs again.

Thanks for the help!

Pato or Higuain are Deep Lying Forwards as I couldn't get a lot of goals out of a solo Poacher or Advanced Forward.

Ronaldo's an Inside Forward, Neymar's an Advanced PM as is Ganso in the middle.

Wilshere's a Deep Lying Playmaker, seems to work really well there.

Looked at my Madrid, Barca game and Ronaldo had 12 shots and 7 OT, next was Pato with 5 so I guess mainly from Ronaldo but he was my top scorer last year so I guess he's hit and miss with shooting.

Cheers for anymore help!

Exatly, so you are basing my (according to you)none-issue, hence the "issue", on your own stats. You are contributing nothing, but thanks for the involvement.

Thank you Ego Scriptor, that do makes sense! I will look into it.

Well then, why I have never seen that problem in my game for any team, including my own? Why can't you show me statistically significant evidence for your "issue" and why are you passing my data off as unimportant?

In other words in a human artefact. You can't handpick results, that's not statistics, that's just handpicking results. The data I gathered was for my whole team over the course of this season. That's called statistically significant data and it matches well with real life figures.

Also, from the Premier League:

Liverpool (Top): 510 - 162 - 90

Man U (8th): 502 - 230 - 76

Birmingham (Last): 341 - 147 - 43

In the order: Shots - On Target - Goals

As such Liverpool got a shot accuracy of 31.8% and a shots per goal of 5.67. Man United got a shot accuracy of 45.8% and a shots per goal of 6.61. Whilst bottom place Birmingham got a shot accuracy of 43.1% and a shots per goal of 7.93. That's all in fact around or less than [in terms of shots per goal] the actual values. Interesting stuff!

As for why you - in some games - apparently create a chance every second minute but your strikers fail to capitalize on them, that is certainly a team talk issue. As Ego Scriptor said, neither complacency nor nervousness will necessarily show up in the motivation widget, as there are degrees of them all. All your players may be fired up but they may still lose their calm in front of goal. I find that strikers start feeling they have a goal drought after about four games without a goal (of course related to the hidden Consistency attribute). If this is the case with your strikers, tell them No Pressure and they'll be fine soon. It is more tricky if their morale is OK or lower, but I have succeded by removing pressure then as well.

As has been said above, if you have an extreme tactic designed to capitalize on a weakness in the ME, your chances will be very similar. If this is the case, the AI may be able to "close the hole" and thus frustrate your players. Remember that the 3d representation may not be accurate, and the chances you create may appear to be bigger than they really are. Statistics are also of a limited value, so watch your game in Extended or Full Match mode to actually see why your chances are wasted.

A "hole" in my tactic became clear to me when both my strikers get lower than 6.0 ratings when playing against Mr.Hough's 4-1-2-3 tactics, then I experience the same thing against Barcelona playing a 4-1-2-1-2 tactic... so teams that play narrowly and with a defensive midfielder simply close down my strikers.

Archived