Those nearly moments

One thing that this 3D match engine had given the game over the last few years is more intensity in those nearly moments in attack. I'm just wondering if anyone else seems to feel the same way. The old 2D stuff was always good, and I know the engine under it is the same, but it always felt very mechanical and more for tactics than enjoying what was actually happening (I still use it occasionally for tactics). So, has anyone got any recent moments that are just so close, yet so far.

The moment that made me think of this was in my Honved save. Marseilles vs Honved, with us only needing a draw to secure our place in the last 16 of the Champions League we came into the match with a hard task still. We'd already beaten them at home thanks to their 5th minute redcard, but at their home and probably without an early red card this was a different event all together. A young winger of mine, Issah Yahaya had been in good form firstly for Honved II last season and he'd played well in his last 2-3 league matches, though against much worse opposition than Marseilles. I decided to pick him ahead of my captain on recent form and he scored within 2 minutes to set us up perfectly, but they equalised before half time. After beating my best midfielder Ziad with a long stick at half time due to his mistake for the goal I expected a better second half. No such luck and it was 2-1 to Marseilles within a minute in the second half.

The moment of the match came to Issah who again had a wonderful chance, he struck it from about 20 yards and it cannoned off the inside of the post before going going out for a thrown right on the corner.

Marseilles would go another goal ahead a minute later and I thought that Yahaya cost me the match. Apparently not though after he pulled off one of my side's greatest comebacks by setting up two goals in injury time to save us a point and get us through to the next round. The first was a perfect cross to feet of one of my strikers and the second was a 45 yard early cross onto the head of my shortest striker. I knew this kid was good, but not that good. Still, that moment when he cannoned that shot off the post is going to stick with me for a while. So much power in that shot!

I only use 3D now, you can never beat the adrenaline rush it gives you when its the last minute of injury time in the last game of the season - a relegation 6 pointer, you're defending for your life and the ball is bouncing around your 6 yard box with an almighty goal-line scramble ensuing, ball hitting the underside of the bar bouncing down on the line, scrambled clear, deflected against the post, fingertip save, heroics galore - before finally being hoofed into row Z by your CB - relief! - the final whistle blows and Harrogate Town grab the point they needed to survive relegation for another season.

Yes, I've had a few nearly moments where the whole history of my game could have changed in an instant... promotions, relegations etc. Its why I love 3D - you can't really get that feeling with 2D, and you definately can't get it in commentry mode! ;)

Archived