Which team did you achieve most with?

Thinking back as many versions as you like, which team gave you the most success, or which game did you enjoy most.

For me, it must be when I managed Arsenal (sorry) I will never forget when I beat Real Madrid 6-2 away, only for my slow prehistoric computer to crash shortly after without me saving it, only for me to reload the game and win 7-2, I won everything on that game.

It must have been CM3 because Ronaldinho was still playing for Gremio in Brazil and I bought him for 3.5 mil, some of you will remember, some of you wont.

I'm interested in hearing your stories because I'm set for a slow unproductive day at work tomorrow and I could do with something to read.

Thinking back as many versions as you like, which team gave you the most success, or which game did you enjoy most.

For me, it must be when I managed Arsenal (sorry) I will never forget when I beat Real Madrid 6-2 away, only for my slow prehistoric computer to crash shortly after without me saving it, only for me to reload the game and win 7-2, I won everything on that game.

It must have been CM3 because Ronaldinho was still playing for Gremio in Brazil and I bought him for 3.5 mil, some of you will remember, some of you wont.

I'm interested in hearing your stories because I'm set for a slow unproductive day at work tomorrow and I could do with something to read.

Back in FM06 possibly 07, a game with Inverness Caley Thistle where I dominated the Scottish Leagues for about 7/8 years. Only trophy I think I failed to win whilst with them was the Champions League.

Only disappointing thing about that save was that all my players wanted to move away so was left with millions in the bank and no-one wanting to play for me.

Best ever save was probably my Spurs 1 where in the 3rd season I took them to Champions League glory by beating Arsenal in the Final. I have never been so happy with a FM result as much as that 1.

R.Madrid on CM 00-01. i managed barca, athletico & valencia at the same time, but in nearly 30 seasons, real won the most titles, champions leagues and spanish cups.

i hate madrid irl, but i always seem to fancy managing them icon_confused.gif

they're too good in fm08... i've also already won all domestic trophys in 3 seasons with arsenal on fm08.

I've been claiming that FM08 is the first one that I've been able to achieve major success in.

But, unbelievably, I'd forgotten just how well I did on FM07 with Panathinaikos. Three Greek championships in a row, one UEFA Cup win and a Champions League quarter-final. I don't think that's a record to be sniffed at!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by niktheblade1:

I also forget the time I got Morecambe into mid table division 1 (as it was... now the championship) Garry Hunter was immense! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There's a picture of Garry Hunter picking up a player of the year award in about 2004 hanging up in the chippy on Lancaster University campus! Oh, how I miss that place.

Arsenal. FM06.

I won about 20-22 prems in a row, around 15 F.A Cups, 20 League Cups, 16 or 17 Champs League Titles, and a mountain of WCC Trophies, Super Cups, and Charity Shields.

AFC Wimbledon. FM07.

3 Prem titles, 2 F.A Cups, 3 League Cups, 1 Champs League Title, ample trophies from the lower leagues. (St. Johnstones trohpy etc)

Knockbreda. FM08

7 N. Irish prem titles.

4 N. Irish Cups

4 N. Irish League Cups

3 N. Irish Antrim cups

1 N. Irish intermediate league cup

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by niktheblade1:

Mike7077, that is brilliant, I love him and Danny Carlton, just cos I played FM.

I need to start thinking about how sad I am!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ironically, the main nightclub in Morecambe is called The Carleton. It refers to itself as 'Morecambe's Premier Venue'. In reality, it's an absolute Didier Drogba of a dive.

hahaha, that sounds like Republic in Sheffield, it had nothing to do with the Republic of Ireland, or The Democratic Republic of Congo, or anything to do with football for that matter (although I did once see the blades squad in there) but it was a crap hole, so much so, it burned down last year, probably out of self pity!!

Not long after '08 was released I found out that my medieval PC was not even willing to TRY running it.

Hey-ho I though and booted up '07 with a sense of regret, and somewhat optimistic considering I'm playing a "Finished" game...

It's worth noting here that if you want something to read - you should look up on my profile "Forum posts by Starr_Man5" and read through my (often hilarious) failures at recreating the Liverpool '70s - '80s playing style.

They all end in, well, check it out for yourself if your bored and want a laugh.

Anyway, getting back on track; playing '07 again I chose Atletico Madrid because the pressure of mounting a title challenge was far too much for an imbecile like me.

We were predicted to finish 9th in La Liga, and without once reloading and retrying I somehow managed to finish FOURTH and qualified for the Champions League (In which I made the group stages).

The second season we were out of our depth in the Champions League but finished THIRD in the league (Predicted 8th). Most of the Atletico squad had me listed as "Favored personnel" too. Magical.

Then the turning point; I had Liverpool listed as my favorite club and after Benitez was sacked I got the job offer I was waiting for; LIVERPOOL. And a Transfer budget of £45M. Obviously I accepted in a heartbeat.

It's fair to say that two months into the Liverpool job I realized it was to be another disaster icon_frown.gificon_mad.gificon_frown.gif

Why does the game torture me so???

Anyway, thats my story, hope you enjoyed it.

In my games i usually manage Chelsea, Spurs. or Olympiakos. My biggest success is in FM 07 when i beat 5-2 Inter with Olympiakos (i was trailing at half-time and was playing with 10 players. The one and only time that team-talk worked!)

In FM 08 with Olympiakos again i have won so far 3 Greek SuperLeague titles, 3 Cups and 2 Champions Leagues. So it's looking good! icon_biggrin.gif

CM01/02 I took Stevenage borough from the confrence to the Priemiership, finishing midtable and winning the league cup before I left to take over Celtic (always regretted leaving though) And won 7 back to back Champions leagues with Man United.

On FM07 I have to say that winning the champions league with Rangers felt like my greatest achievment, probably because for about 6-7 seasons I kept losing in the quaters or semi's when i finally did it it was great.

Brann Bergen , won +10 European titles and most of the Norwegian championships but this was back to cm00/01

With Olympiakos in 07 i have won all Greek titles up to 2020 and champions league for first time at 2011 , after 2011 it was way too easy to win European competitions so almost every second year i was lifting the cup with the big ears.

In my "all injury" database (using fmm ) i scored ~350 goals in 30 games with Ergotelis , it doesn't count as achievement but i enjoyed that season a lot.

Back on 01/02 I won the SPL with Rangers 10 seasons running and in that time won the Champions League 4 times, Scottish cups pretty much every year and 2 UEFA Cups.

Also on 01/02 with Liverpool won everything I entered 7 trophies: Charity Shield, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup, Champions League, European Super Cup and Club World Championships and in that Summer won the World Cup with England.

More recently on 06 won the Quadruple with Arsenal winning 36 out of 38 league games scoring 110 and conceeding 12 I think it was

Most success was clearly Ross County in CM03/04 for me because I managed them for some 16-17 seasons, we won 11 SPL titles in a row and ~13 altogether as well as a similar number of domestic cups and 4 Champions League titles, but CM03/04 was a little too easy.

My most exciting game was probably with Whitley Bay in FM06 because it was more of a rollercoaster. Average 2 seasons per promotion then 2 seasons to win the EPL rather than the idiotic 1 season promotions! Then the best part was that in previous versions we would have just dominated from there on, but instead we struggled and missed 4th place on the final day of each of the next 2 seasons (both times playing Cardiff at home), then were struggling in 9th next season when I jumped ship to Newcastle. Added a new manager to Whitley Bay, but couldn't arrest the slide so added yet another manager who "guided" the team 10 points adrift by Christmas one season before getting sacked. Then my final manager pulled them out of the fire to safety and then re-established them as a top team finishing runners-up (always to an unstopbale Newcastle) for 3 seasons.

Funny thing about that game was that whilst we won almost every trophy going, until the final season (league cup), we never won a single one twice except for the European Super Cup which is a mickey mouse trophy anyway.

My best game/save in CM series was CM3 or the next one with Millwall. I won everything and enjoyed a long success with the club before moving to antoher country.

In FM2007 I had a long game with my favourite team AC Milan which proved to be succesful but not too challenging. Right now I am managing Salernitana in FM2008. First season clear winner in Serie C and second season looks like good struggle to stay away from relegation.

The original CM, running riot with Luton, thrashing everybody soundly and loving the unholy trinity of Ceri Hughes, John Dreyer and Phil Gray.

Oh and I was quite tasty with Preston too back in the day back to back promotions all the way to 'the Premiership' and beating Man Utd. in the F.A. Cup Final whilst in the old third division.

Phil Stant = my hero, not bad for somebody knocking on over thirty and he got an international call up too.

Has to be my most recent game with 08 as FC Bayern. 3 seasons 3 leagues, 3 league cups, 3 german cups and a Champions League.

No big deal considering the team and quality of league but my first team squad consists of 2 Turkish and 20 germans (including 10 of the German National starting 11) so I was really happy with that.

Was incredibly successful with Blackburn and Bolton on 03/04 but it was ridiculously easy.

Excluding easier games where I dominated everyone as Man Utd and then Real Madrid, who I am over a whole season unbeaten with, my greatest achievement is probably getting Albion Rovers into the UEFA cup and then beaten Real Madrid in the first knock out round.

However, the only thing I've won other than the leagues leading to the SPL was the Scottish cup, so on a trophy front its not great. However, having turned a semi-pro into a mid table SPL club I'm happy. This was all on 07.

Ive got 2 save games that come to mind. My FM2006 save at New Zealand proved how much fun international management can be on the game. It was initially a struggle to even get a draw against half decent sides, but after 17 years we reached the World Cup final only to lose to Scotland.

The second one is my Hammerfest game on FM2007 which I've started playing again recently. I selected Hammerfest because I believe they're the most northern based team in the game. They're from Norway and aren't very good starting in the dreadfully low standard Second Division Group 4. After around 5 seasons I was promoted as a semi-pro club to the Premier Division, and now in 2021 I am completely dominant with a great side that has achieved some great results in Europe. The only frustration is having to rebuild the team all the time as all the wonderkid players I sign always refuse to sign new contracts and so have to be sold.

Started a game unemployed and ended up with Calgiari job, had them on the brink of promotion when I got the Roma job, took 7 Serie A title in a row, 4 Champions leagues, 4 Coppa Italia's, 4 World Club Championships and had over 400Million in the bank most of which was available for transfers. The most pleasing thing was that the youth System produced three players who became world class.

I quit for Atletico Madrid and began another period of dominance (4 La Liga 3 Champions League 3 World Club Cups) but I got bored of the game...

My biggest success has been with Man Utd in FM08. Had good success with Plymouth in CM01/02 I think it was. Got them up from Third Division as it was back then to 1st Division. Struggled badly and always looked like relegating. Got sacked for the poor performance even though it was amazing to even be up there! Was able to pull out comeback wins often too.

My best and favourite result in FM08 has been a semi-final Champions League tie with Arsenal. Down 2-1 after my home leg, went to Emirates needing a result. Arsenal scored 2goals early on to be 4-1 aggreate lead. I upped the attacking levels and got a goal to make it 4-2 aggregate.

Arsenal scored another to make it 5-2. I then scored another. 5-3 around 80mins. I then got a goal to make it interesting on 87mins. 5-4. Then in injury time scored an equaliser! 5-5 going through to the final on away goals!

Didn't save the match though as I didn't know how to at the time. icon_frown.gif

Archived