CD stopped working-some advice/help would be greatly appreciated

My cd drive for my computer has broken. It is £200 to fix (out of warranty) and the laptop istelf is £600. So I was wondering if there was any way I could play it without usiing the CD? I have also lost the booklet for the game with the steam code on it:o There is a code at the back of the disk and front that i have, thats it.:(

Not legally unless you can find your Steam code. You could always buy an external CD drive, not an ideal solution I know :(

I have all the codes for the CD-a short on the front and long on the back. I don;t fancy paying £30 for a CD drive tbh. As wrong as this sounds, I would consider using a crack as I have already genuinely paid for the game-and buying another CD won't work becuase my laptop is the problem:(

Using a crack would a) get you banned from here and b) actually introduce a load of implanted bugs into your game*

*for example, all group tables would work in reverse, so the team that finishes last will qualify etc

I was hoping that there would be soem way to find out my steam code again (maybe technical support from Sports Interactive could help) if I could present the numbers on my disc:confused:

It's not SI's fault that your hardware has failed, nor is it SI's fault that you have mislaid your pamphlet with the steam code on (well let's face it, "manual" is overly generous). It is illegal to use a crack, and probably dangerous too (eww, viruses, trojans and all sorts of other nasties...). The only way to fix it is to buy an external drive, a new laptop, another copy of the game (for the steam code) or simply find your original pamphlet...

Dont ever mention using a crack again please.

All the issues appear to be of your own making, but you could try contacting Customer Services at SEGA with all the receipt details of your purchase

My cd drive for my computer has broken. It is £200 to fix (out of warranty) and the laptop istelf is £600. So I was wondering if there was any way I could play it without usiing the CD? I have also lost the booklet for the game with the steam code on it:o There is a code at the back of the disk and front that i have, thats it.:(

Replacing the CD drive isn't a £200 job.

It will cost you £20 for a cheap DVD drive, then you simply open up your case, unplug the existing drive, remove it, put the new one in place and connect it up again.

Anybody that has told you they will charge £200 to replace it deserves a good kicking for trying to rip you off so badly.

*EDIT* Sorry, didn't read that it was on a laptop. I thought it was on a desktop.

Anyway, it still shouldn't be anywhere near a £200 job, as for anybody who knows what they are doing with laptops it is no more than a 30 minute job.

Archived