kick outs

i have noticed the past few games that from kick outs my keeper who is set to "defender collect" will just hit it straight up the middle and the oppisition just head it back towards my goal with my defenders flat footed (williamson and colliccini i know arent great defenders) there foward will run onto the ball and score,very frustrating,is this a bug or my fault???

I think it's definitely a bug/issue, and I think it's related to the fact that defenders don't pay much attention to the opposition players when your team is on the attack. This is particularly apparent when playing odd vs even numbers in defence and attack (e.g. lone striker vs 4 defenders), with the defenders leaving acres of space for the strikers, rather than realising that they might actually pose a threat should the opposition win the ball. They don't take up positions that in any way indicate that they are aware of the striker.

Furthermore, if the defenders didn't keep running aimlessly upfield once the opposition midfielder heads the ball, and instead tried to mark and defend, they wouldn't look quite as daft.

The fact that the goalkeepers like to ignore your instructions is also particularly frustrating, as there's absolutely nothing you can do about it.

There are some things you can do to reduce the amount of these instances. Defensive mentality, Defender Collect and little creative freedom helps a little. The GK extending his passing range when you push up is another, I believe (more direct passing).

They won't disappear completely, though. But there are a few seasons since I conceded such a goal now. The quality of the defenders and the quality of your team/club in general may reduce the times that the other team is pushing up and closing down a lot (when they do, your keeper thinks that the defenders are somehow under pressure even though the 3d representation shows they are not).

There are some things you can do to reduce the amount of these instances. Defensive mentality, Defender Collect and little creative freedom helps a little. The GK extending his passing range when you push up is another, I believe (more direct passing).

They won't disappear completely, though. But there are a few seasons since I conceded such a goal now. The quality of the defenders and the quality of your team/club in general may reduce the times that the other team is pushing up and closing down a lot (when they do, your keeper thinks that the defenders are somehow under pressure even though the 3d representation shows they are not).

so if i set his passing to more direct that will hopefully solve the issue a bit,ok thanks for that.why wont he just give it to the defender as i have it set or do i have to set the focus passing down the flanks to get him to pass it to either the left or right full back???

so if i set his passing to more direct that will hopefully solve the issue a bit,ok thanks for that.why wont he just give it to the defender as i have it set or do i have to set the focus passing down the flanks to get him to pass it to either the left or right full back???

You can have him pass to a specific defender, and that will help too. Changing the pass focus is a bit over the top. The anticipation, Decisions and other important Defender attributes are the biggest contributors to fixing this problem, as it is NOT the goal kick itself that is the true bug, but the fact that the header of the guy who receives the goal kick will go 30 meters and with millimeter precision to a fast striker on the way through.

Somehow, some tactics experience a lot of these GK Pings while others rarely see it. The only thing I changed (apart from the players and team reputation obv.) were as I said a more defensive mentality and less creative freedom on the keeper and in addition to that I reduced closing down from first click of Whole Pitch to last click of Own half on my four defenders. The defensive line is still first on Push Up, and my GK's passing is still short/mixed. The bug is only in my favour now, as I haven't conceded such a goal in ages.

So what are your defensive line / defender mentality & closing down instructions?

my defensive line is set on deep 3 clicks from 6,also i have my whole team on the last click of own half for closing down,i have my defenders set all on defend and sometimes the full backs on support but i have there overall mentality manually selected as 3clicks from 6 also i am having a great first season with newcastle with 44 points from 27 games,i have bought in youthful fowards and will revamp the defense in the summer although williamson and colo havent been to bad overall but i need more quality which i will defiantly get.

Archived