Questions about stars and roles?

I would like some advice on game concepts that I am trying to figure out.

Coach Rating:

I find the star rating from the coach great to get a feel for who has the best ability and who as the best potential. But how does it work?

1. For example, vd Vaart at Barcelona had 6 stars at 1 point and later dropped to 4 in potential. Is the coach changing it's mind? Does it depend on form and position he plays?

2. A player in the reserves had 3 abi/3 pot and was rated as one of the best midfielders in the club. I promoted him to first team and his stars dropped to 1 abi/1 pot. Shouldn't the coach rate them at the same standard?

I like the player tactical roles but would like to get some more insights in the nuances.

3. Full back vs Wing back - Full back is more defensive and wing back will push forward more often?

4. Limited Defender - will only defend and kick the ball forward?

5. Box-to-Box Midfielder - how is he different from central midfielder?

6. Deep Lying Midefielder vs Ball Winning Midfielder - what is the difference?

7. Poacher - looks only to score?

8. Target Man - looks only to pass to others and score easy goals?

9. Advance Forward - what does he do exactly?

I would like some advice on game concepts that I am trying to figure out.

Coach Rating:

I find the star rating from the coach great to get a feel for who has the best ability and who as the best potential. But how does it work?

1. For example, vd Vaart at Barcelona had 6 stars at 1 point and later dropped to 4 in potential. Is the coach changing it's mind? Does it depend on form and position he plays?

2. A player in the reserves had 3 abi/3 pot and was rated as one of the best midfielders in the club. I promoted him to first team and his stars dropped to 1 abi/1 pot. Shouldn't the coach rate them at the same standard?

Form form form form form. Basically guys who have potential will have less stars in their current ability and more stars in the potential ability. You can't really see how much potential, just watch how they play and what their match rating is.

I like the player tactical roles but would like to get some more insights in the nuances.

3. Full back vs Wing back - Full back is more defensive and wing back will push forward more often?

Basically wingbacks are fullbacks that have higher creativity, passing, crossing, etc.

Yes they will push up more.

4. Limited Defender - will only defend and kick the ball forward?

Pretty much. He doesn't get any freedom with the ball at his feet.

5. Box-to-Box Midfielder - how is he different from central midfielder?

B2B has to cover the entire pitch between the boxes, so he has to be good at everything and have an incredible amount of stamina.

Regular CMs should cover the entire pitch between the boxes, but they don't have the stamina to do it. Basically the B2B is the guy who has a complete game where as a regular CM is a guy who is one or more parts of his game (attacking, defensive, aerial)

6. Deep Lying Midefielder vs Ball Winning Midfielder - what is the difference?

Ball winners sole purpose is to kick A and take names when it comes to stealing the ball.

Deep lying midfielders are the guys who you want to have the ball in your own half. They need to be guys who can pass and have high creativity (compared to the BWM).

7. Poacher - looks only to score?

Yeah, pace + shooting is really what u need.

8. Target Man - looks only to pass to others and score easy goals?

Not really, that's more of a deep lying forward.

Target Man is your big guy up front. He is the guy you want to aim the long balls to. He should have good shooting as well as heading and strength.

9. Advance Forward - what does he do exactly?

basically he's a complete forward who is missing part of his game. Example: High creativity, passing, shooting, dribbling with low heading, strength.

Thanks for the response! Can you clarify a bit the expression you use?

Form form form form form. Basically guys who have potential will have less stars in their current ability and more stars in the potential ability. You can't really see how much potential, just watch how they play and what their match rating is.

Stars, so are you saying the star rating is based on form? a few good games and he has 6 star rating, followed by bad games and his rating goes back down? Both for potential and current ability?

Regular CMs should cover the entire pitch between the boxes, but they don't have the stamina to do it. Basically the B2B is the guy who has a complete game where as a regular CM is a guy who is one or more parts of his game (attacking, defensive, aerial)

What do you mean by this. What is a guy who has a complete game?

basically he's a complete forward who is missing part of his game. Example: High creativity, passing, shooting, dribbling with low heading, strength.

The advance forward is missing a part of his game? What does it mean?

And what is the difference between the advance forward and poacher. How will each of them play?

Stars, so are you saying the star rating is based on form? a few good games and he has 6 star rating, followed by bad games and his rating goes back down? Both for potential and current ability?

yeah pretty much. The star rating tells u how much a guy can grow and what level he is playing at.

What do you mean by this. What is a guy who has a complete game?

basically a CM is average to great at everything except maybe headers. And he is NOT a physical beast.

The b2b is good at everything (maybe not great at everything) and IS a physical beast.

The advance forward is missing a part of his game? What does it mean?

Think of it like this:

Strength

Speed

Technical

Vision

Shooting

Aerial

Poacher - Dribbler or shooter or just plain fast. Usually only has one of these elements to his game.

Target Man - Strength or Aerial or both (maybe a shooter too), but thats it.

Advanced Forward - Poacher with good vision and maybe has good technical skills.

Deep Lying Forward - Target man with good technical skills and vision.

Complete Forward - Good vision, good aerial game, good technical skills, good vision. May not be very fast or strong, but will be +15 in most other categories.

And what is the difference between the advance forward and poacher. How will each of them play?

The poacher basically waits for team mates to give him through balls or looks to just dribble past people and score.

The adv forward can do everything the poacher can do, but will also try to create chances for team mates as well.

Archived