Long Ball/Aggressive team

I’m just starting a new game with Eastbourne Boro in the BSP, and seeing as though pretty much every player there is pretty average, I’m going to have a wholesale clear out. Bearing in mind the lack of budget I’m going to try and focus on building a mean, aggressive team that rather than play their way to victory, will just break up the oppositions play and score goals on the break. Therefore I’m thinking that I will adopt a Long Ball approach.

My initial idea is a 4-5-1 formation, with 3 ball winning midfielders, and a target man up front.

Was just wondering, has anyone else ever successfully adopted an aggressive, long ball approach, and if so, what attributes in your players did you look for?

Am currently just looking at players with high strength, stamina, tackling and pace.

From my not so large experience with this kind of approach, it might work well against stronger opposition. If your team has more quality than the opposition, and the odds are in your favor, you probably will get loads of 0-0.

IMO, an aggressive style of play wouldn't suit long balls.

If you see aggression as more important, then go for short passing. Having a tank of a striker, maybe in a 4-5-1 to dominate midfield and seek out your target man would work.

If you'd rather play the long balls, I'd go for a 4-3-3 with wing-backs (high pace and crossing) where you use MC's with decent defensive stats (Think Mascherano/De Rossi) and your wingbacks bomb up and down the line, feeding the 3 forwards with crosses. It'd be better to have more forwards with a long ball approach - no point crossing if there's no-one to get on the end of them. Alternatively, 4-4-2 would work if you can get the best wingers in the league.

Try a 4-2-4

FB----BPD----BPD----FB

-------B2B----B2B--------

InF---DLF----DLF----InF

Set your team instructions:

Defensive, Long, Committed, Counter Attack

and see what happens. (I've never tried it, just off the top of my head what I'd start with)

• SI Staff

I've had some success in the lower leagues with a 4-5-1 so long as you've a decent target man and put attacking roles onto the midfielders supporting him ... always tend to switch to a 4-4-2 at some point as I rise the leagues though and actually try and play football ;)

Archived