PC Setup - Just FM

Hi all, regular lurker, infrequent poster here. I come in search of knowledge, and sexual favours. However I will settle for just the former 'cause I'm a nice guy.

My goal - To set up my old laptop to run only FM2010 (possibly 2011/12 in the future if possible). Edit: Without spending any cash.

I have an old laptop that I replaced with a netbook as the screen is practically off its hinges. I use it only to play FM 2010, but it has gotten very slow of late. I was wondering what I could do to maximise the speed at which FM will play, and thought this would be the best place to ask. The specs are as follows (I don't understand these, so if there's anything else I should add please let me know):

It's a dell inspiron 6400

Windows XP

T2130 @ 1.86GHz

791MHz, 1.99GB of RAM

Any tips on what I could do to achieve my dream (sort of) would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Edit: Also using gamebooster. Helps a bit. Seems to be a correlation between slow speed and "CPU" (dont know what this stands for) running at 100%. I suppose this is what I need to improve on?

Was hoping to get by without having to modify the hardware (budget constraints). I do use gamebooster, which helps a bit. Probably should have mentioned that originally, so I edited it into top post..

Biggest thing you can do is to make sure nothing else steals CPU power in the background. The computer specs listed are somewhat similar to my acer laptop, and it runs FM 2011 just fine as long as i stick to 2d view of the matches.

Format and reload your OS, and only install FM.

That's the most you can do.

Considering this alright, but have never done anything like that before. Currently weighing up whether I would torrent XP (no idea where the disc is!) or try and give linux a go.

Archived