How do you pick your formation on FM?

# How do you pick your formation on FM?  

199 members have voted

1. 1. # How do you pick your formation on FM?

• I just pick my favourite formation from real life football
    • I have a certain style of play in mind and my formation is based on that
    • I use whatever seems most successful in the match engine
    • I base my formation on the players I have available at the time
    • I like to try something different and to experiment with something new
    • I just use whatever seems simplest
    • I stick with the formation that the club I am managing traditionally uses
    • I select a formation that is traditional in the country that I am managing in
    • I select a formation with certain positions available because I like those positions
    • Other - please state

Personally, I tend to either employ a favourite formation from real life, use a formation due to wanting a certain style of play and/or pick something traditional for the country that I am managing in.

In particular, when I move around in the FM world, I like to try to adopt a playing system that is 'traditional' for the country that I am playing in. Some of these are very obvious. For example, in British football it's mainly the 4-4-2, in Spanish the 4-2-3-1, in Italian the 4-3-1-2/diamond and in Dutch football the 4-3-3 and so on and so forth.

I'm actually came up with a pretty nerdy thread on the tactics forum listing the most popular formations in different countries - http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/254779-Football-formations-in-different-countries :o :D

Went for two options depending on how long I've been at a club.

When I first take over I play whatever suits the team but after a while, I generally try to change to my favoured 4-3-3.

Other. Based on what I need for the next match.

I'm from the Wenger school of thought - let the opposition worry about us. It works better in FM than it does IRL :D

Interesting poll crouch.

I always base my formations on the players available and initially I tend to use the same formation as the club have been using for that reason.

Whilst not wanting to conform to any type of tradition I do find times when you are forced to use certain formations to counter the opposition. Recent examples for me would be Brazil - I was forced to go man for man with a 4222 formation and Italy where narrow formations overload any attempt to use width.

Finally if I'm struggling I will try something different.

I'm from the Wenger school of thought - let the opposition worry about us. It works better in FM than it does IRL :D

Sadly, Celtic and Rangers aren't worrying about us.....yet. I do okay against Rangers but the best I seem to get from Celtic is a draw. One of these days I'll figure them out......maybe. :)

Interesting poll crouch.

I always base my formations on the players available and initially I tend to use the same formation as the club have been using for that reason.

For better or worse, I tend to go into the club and immediately stamp my mark/put my philosophy into action, and that includes the formation/playing system.

Whilst not wanting to conform to any type of tradition I do find times when you are forced to use certain formations to counter the opposition. Recent examples for me would be Brazil - I was forced to go man for man with a 4222 formation and Italy where narrow formations overload any attempt to use width.

I guess the game is kind of realistic in that sense then. If you went to Italy or Brazil as a manager, you probably would be influenced by the traditions and playing styles of the country, wouldn't you? You'd be less likely to go there playing a high tempo, British-style 4-4-2 anyway!

I do a mixture of what I have at the club and my favourite formation. I usually use 4-4-2 or a variant, depending on the skill levels of the players. At Dartford I used a conventional 4-4-2, with fairly simple player roles such as Centre Midfielder - Defend. Occasionally, with better players, I gave them a role such as Advanced Playmaker - Attack, but they'd have to have good technicals and mentals for me to use them in such a way.

At Man City, I've been using a 4-1-1-2-2 formation. The amount of attacking talent meant I wanted two wingers, and I never feel comfortable with a lone striker, so two up top is always the way I roll. However, I wouldn't use such an attacking formation without a strong defensive midfielder, so you have to be sensible.

Pretty much I've always gone with what I know.

Back when I started playing FM, I only knew how to get a 4-4-2 to work. And after playing this game for some time, I got it to work very very well.

Whenever I tried something different (mainly the 4-3-3), I failed miserably.

Its taken me a few years to finally develop a 4-3-3 to my liking and that only happened after reading a lot of different threads on this forum.

I have a certain style of play in mind and my formation is based on that
I select a formation with certain positions available because I like those positions

I picked these two.

Firstly I like a nice rigid system where a guy sits in front of the defence and is really the key player in the system. That's also the sort of role I prefer when playing football myself, the unselfish guy that holds it all together sort of. Short controlled passing within a well disciplined and well organised system is the aim.

I'm a big fan of a narrow 4-1-3-2 with a deep lying playmaker at DMC and a CMd in front of him set as a ball winning midfielder. I also like to have two strikers (who will hopefully develop a partnership in time) which fits in with this system nicely. The full backs provide the width which means no need for wingers and also makes squad management a little easier.

I've gone with two because it depends on which club I am with. If I am at a big club I tend to go with an attacking 4-4-2 with AMR/AML, or a wide 4-2-3-1 and buy players to suit these formations.

But sometimes when managing smaller clubs I tend to adjust the formation based on the players available. Currently playing a 4-3-3 because I had a lack of decent wingers when I took the team on, and found that it works a treat so still use it 6 seasons later.

I went for 'I have a certain style of play in mind and my formation is based on that'

I like to try and create certain styles or approaches that I think suit the club or the league, and then I alter it when needed until I get the right system that works with my players. Takes a while sometimes but it's definitely worth it.

Usually I just go for the formation that best suits the players I have at the moment, and if it works fine I don't see a reason to change it as long as it works fine and I have the players to keep it working.

Otherwise I do have a soft spot for the 4-2-3-1 (3AMCs), mostly because for years I've been unable to make two striker cooperate well enough... (possibly a ME limitation?) so the lone striker with 3 AMs behind him are a good solution.

I've also tried to recreate a 4-3-3 Nils Arne Eggen style, but that proved to be tougher than I thought, so I sort of settled for whatever 4-3-3 the ME took out of my instructions.

I always mirror my FM tactics & formations after real life variations. I have a general football philosophy that I follow and I adapt new formations as I make changes. Also sometimes it depends on the quality of the team, injuries, players and opposition.

Archived