can losing be a good thing?

in real life alot of managers say losing makes players more determined to win next time. does anyone know if this applys in fm. point being that my young spurs side have just lost in the champions league knockout stage to ac milan and i was wondering how it wound effect them longer term?

No it's not.

The way the game handles morale rises and drops, any defeat will inevitably dent the team's morale, thus causing some players to underperform, thus leading to more poor matches and results... and the worse they play, the more likely another loss is... in a stunning and destructive snowball effect.

No it's not.

The way the game handles morale rises and drops, any defeat will inevitably dent the team's morale, thus causing some players to underperform, thus leading to more poor matches and results... and the worse they play, the more likely another loss is... in a stunning and destructive snowball effect.

Poppycock!

OP - yes.. sometimes a defeat can be a good thing, especially if it is against a crappy team..

I think one defeat can be good for bursting a complacency bubble, but any more than one in a row and things start becoming rather tricky.

This I agree with, I can find my team going on scraping wins only-just against opponents they should be thrashing, or the odd draw when they should have been able to beat them, but they just werent playing their best, then along comes some low club (usually Fulham) who beat my team and suddenly my team in the next few games perform like the superstars they should be.

It's happened enough times that I don't think it's just coincidence.

Sometimes. I guess it depends what you say after the match. If I lose to a late "fluke" goal, I sympathize. If they play like poo, I usually go with disappointing performance. We lost to Hibs away in the league (I'm Aberdeen) and the next game we beat the unbeaten and unscored upon Rangers at home. (Granted we're only three games into the season but I wasn't expecting a 3-0 win). I've been pretty lucky with my team morale. They don't seem to have the drastic hormonal swings after a loss. I chalk it up to my winning personality:)

It wouldn't surprise me if it was in but I've never seen much to prove it.

The nearest I've seen is players making a mistake which leads to a defeat and they come out and say they're determined to bounce back. I've just had it with one of my defenders and he's been excellent since but I'm not sure if the mistake was a factor or not.

Archived