balenced play or fluid

Fluid = roam from position and high creative freedom yes?

This means that they don't follow your instructions. If you have a perfect team where all the players would do efficient, good stuff if left to follow their PPM's, this could work. If some of your players don't do things more efficiently when not following orders, high creative freedom is bad.

Instead, and this is what I believe, avoid setting the sliders to Often if you want them to have real creative freedom. Often is useful when your players aren't perfect for the role. If you tell them to do everything Sometimes or mixed/normal, good players will make the right decisions more often. But still follow orders.

have you used this before

Yes I have. I play currently with 4-2-3-1 as follows, but I have a band of six more disciplined players, with four creative ones and a "Fluid" mentality;

GK - Default

RB - At home, I make him a RWB and to overlap depending on strength of opponent, match situation etc.

LB - As above

CB x2 - Ultra defensive mentality, retain possession, man mark. Very rarely deviate from this, basically defending and doing their job.

DM - On "defend" duty, sitting back and holding position.

DM - Same as above but on support duty so he can step forward into midfield and reduce the space. Sometimes I will give him more freedom or change him for a playmaker.

AMR/AML - both set as inside forwards, free to roam and cutting inside. This suits the fluid game and they are on a support duty, though if I think they can impose themselves more, I change them to "attack"

AMC - second striker or supporting attacking midfielder but again, with plenty of freedom to roam.

SC - usually a poacher, with basically permission to do whatever he wants. With the fluid mentality and creative freedom, he tends to drift out wide and deep, creating space.

Basically there are four defensive minded players with the fullbacks changing depending on who I am playing. Away from home, a rigid mentality or balanced one will work better I think but if you want passing, flowing football, I would recommend the fluid mentality.

My tactics are flexible though and I tweak them depending on match conditions/opposition. Sometimes to counter a specific threat or weakness, other times to bring the best from the players I have. I have taken Palermo to Serie A Champions with these tactics.

Archived