counter attack

i play a short passing game with tempo slow and my team is attacking i have counter attack on will that stop me being as attacking and cause me to let them attack me before i hit them on the break.

what i'm saying is with my tactics that invole attacking with balenced play should i turn counter attack off.

Yes I would think that having counter attack set would make your team more likely to sit back and invite pressure before getting the ball and hitting them on the break. But when they do get the ball, you have them set to short passing and slow tempo which is pointless in my eyes for a counter attacking game. You want them to attack at speed on the break. So I would leave counter attacking on but change to direct passing and a faster tempo.

Its probably better to ask in the tactics forum though seeing as its about tactics.

From what i've read around here, having counter-attack ticked on it simply means that your players will change to a very attacking mentality if they have a numerical advantage to be on a break, like a 3 vs 2 situation, after a corner or for instance.

Ticking counter-attack alone won't make your team "bait" the opponent for a deadly CA.

It can also be dangerous if you lose the ball cheaply though while the entire team charges forward.

the problem with having "counter-attack" on is the fact that the passes, by their very nature, are longer and more direct than a "short passing play" - you end up giving the ball away a lot. It will interfere with your tactics to have your players counter-attacking as well, it used to mine... until I figured out it was the counter-attack that was causing it... (I never use it now ;) )

the problem with having "counter-attack" on is the fact that the passes, by their very nature, are longer and more direct than a "short passing play" - you end up giving the ball away a lot. It will interfere with your tactics to have your players counter-attacking as well, it used to mine... until I figured out it was the counter-attack that was causing it... (I never use it now ;) )

ok np with my tactics should i set the thing to balenced or fluid.

ok but is fluid good to.

how 'attacking' is your tactic?

full-blooded gung-ho should almost certainly be very fluid, where the more defensive tactic would be more rigid. I guess anywhere from 10-15 on the slider could easily be balanced where for fluid I'd be thinking 13-18 on the slider would be more appropriate. Others may have different ideas - this is mine :)

how 'attacking' is your tactic?

full-blooded gung-ho should almost certainly be very fluid, where the more defensive tactic would be more rigid. I guess anywhere from 10-15 on the slider could easily be balanced where for fluid I'd be thinking 13-18 on the slider would be more appropriate. Others may have different ideas - this is mine :)

i don't use the slider abnd my thing is not set to gung ho its set to attacking

ahh, yucky new fangled tactic rubbish,,, if you look in advanced there is still the mentality slider I'm sure...

btw, gung-ho isn't in the game any more - I used to love setting the team to gung-ho though :p

gung ho that style is still in it under overload

Counter-attack doesn't make your team send lots of players forward once you win the ball on your own half. It doesn't override run forwards or passing style or mentality.

What it does is, in the games' terms, "draw the opponent out to allow space". This is of course the exact opposite of what counter-attacking really is. What happens when you tick off counter-attack, is that your team will play the ball backwards and keep possession until they have lured the opponent to push high, then kick the ball behind them. This means that if you tick it off, your team will NOT attack immediately once they have won possession in the midfield, but rather play the ball back to the keeper or defenders.

If you want real counter-attacking football, download Mr.Hough's 433-tactics and watch what happens when you win the ball then: KICK and your strikers are on the run against an unbalanced opposition defensive line. Happens every time. Why?

Because there is a big gap between your midfielders and your strikers. The three strikers are always alone vs 2-4 helpless defenders. Afaik, Mr.Hough does not use the counter-attacking option simply because this wouldn't happen as often then.

Apparently, the English understanding of what counter-attacking football really is, is based on what Romania did in the 80s and 90s when they had a good team. Instead they should look at what Norway's International team does under Olsen's leadership to understand what modern counter-attacking is about. Or ask Mr.Hough. In short: Counter-attacking is the exact opposite of the possession-oriented style implemented by FM. It is NOT used by strong teams to draw defensive opponents out. It is used by technically weaker teams to punish possession-oriented playing styles by winning the ball in the midfield and attack immediately - it is as direct a style as they come...

Counter-attack doesn't make your team send lots of players forward once you win the ball on your own half. It doesn't override run forwards or passing style or mentality.

What it does is, in the games' terms, "draw the opponent out to allow space". This is of course the exact opposite of what counter-attacking really is. What happens when you tick off counter-attack, is that your team will play the ball backwards and keep possession until they have lured the opponent to push high, then kick the ball behind them. This means that if you tick it off, your team will NOT attack immediately once they have won possession in the midfield, but rather play the ball back to the keeper or defenders.

If you want real counter-attacking football, download Mr.Hough's 433-tactics and watch what happens when you win the ball then: KICK and your strikers are on the run against an unbalanced opposition defensive line. Happens every time. Why?

Because there is a big gap between your midfielders and your strikers. The three strikers are always alone vs 2-4 helpless defenders. Afaik, Mr.Hough does not use the counter-attacking option simply because this wouldn't happen as often then.

Apparently, the English understanding of what counter-attacking football really is, is based on what Romania did in the 80s and 90s when they had a good team. Instead they should look at what Norway's International team does under Olsen's leadership to understand what modern counter-attacking is about. Or ask Mr.Hough. In short: Counter-attacking is the exact opposite of the possession-oriented style implemented by FM. It is NOT used by strong teams to draw defensive opponents out. It is used by technically weaker teams to punish possession-oriented playing styles by winning the ball in the midfield and attack immediately - it is as direct a style as they come...

so since i play a short passing attacking game like barcalona then i should not use counter attack.

so since i play a short passing attacking game like barcalona then i should not use counter attack.

No I wouldn't say that. Hough's tactics use short passing if i recall correctly. Some of them uses Counter-attack too. Short passing or not, the defenders still clears the ball to the attackers, behind enemy lines. The text message says "xxxx clears the ball" and then you're on a dangerous attack.

In other words, since one of the defenders or defending midfielders (on his own half) have no pass options using short passing, he kicks the ball away. So this happens because he is set to short passing, not despite of it.

The bottom line is, if you want to go on the counter attack - which is what my 424 tactic does often as well - there needs to be a big gap between the midfield and the attackers. It is about where your players are on the pitch, not which kind of passing you use or whether you have ticked off Counter attack.

I would argue that Manchester United have one of the best counter attacking games that there is. From defence to attack in an instant you have seen it so many times. The problem with FM is that in real football it's unlikely that a team will play exactly the same way for 90 minutes. Again take Man United. Yes they counter attack, but yet they push forward, contain, press all in the space of 90 minutes and that is very difficult to recreate with FM.

I would argue that Manchester United have one of the best counter attacking games that there is. From defence to attack in an instant you have seen it so many times. The problem with FM is that in real football it's unlikely that a team will play exactly the same way for 90 minutes. Again take Man United. Yes they counter attack, but yet they push forward, contain, press all in the space of 90 minutes and that is very difficult to recreate with FM.

My team play like this.. when they're playing confidently especially...

From what i've read around here, having counter-attack ticked on it simply means that your players will change to a very attacking mentality if they have a numerical advantage to be on a break, like a 3 vs 2 situation, after a corner or for instance.

Ticking counter-attack alone won't make your team "bait" the opponent for a deadly CA.

^^^this. It just means if the oppertunity to counter attack arrises they are more likely to counter attack. Its worth having it ticked because I fiind I score alot of goals that way. Can't really see a down side to it.

Archived