Good Dribblers Opposition Instructions settings

What do yuo all use for counter acting opposition players whose stats show that they have completed many dribbles per game. Is it best to tight mark them, stand off them or close them down. I cannot decide on the best setting to use as occasionally I tight mark, they get by me, sometimes close down they get by me. What do you use that works?

The textbook says Pacy players should never be tightly marked. I dont really understand the logic though as leaving them free is just going to give them space to knock the ball ahead.

I just tend to show them onto their weaker foot (obvious reasons). Go in hard (most of them have low bravery), and close down always (I like to press).

Its all hit and miss anyway. I just let the assistmant manager do it, and I correct things if he does something dumb like showing a 2 footed player onto his weaker foot.

The textbook says Pacy players should never be tightly marked. I dont really understand the logic though as leaving them free is just going to give them space to knock the ball ahead.

Because if they are quicker than the tight marker, all that is required is a throughball played ahead of them. They'll skin the marker and be free for a run on goal.

Tight mark only if the marker can match/outpace the marked player. I tend to OI dribbly wingers with close down and maybe hard tackle of they lack bravery and balance (and the ref's a softee). Definitely show onto weaker foot unless two-footed.

If they are wingers who dribble then cross, tight mark the fella on the end of the cross. If they dribble through the centre that's more tricky - defend deeper and in numbers.

Because if they are quicker than the tight marker, all that is required is a throughball played ahead of them. They'll skin the marker and be free for a run on goal.

What about in these scenarios?

High Line, Offside Trap: Leaving him unmarked means the line is going to be almost impossible to hold. Or he is going to just be wide open to the side for a through ball anyway

Deep Line: There is no space behind to play a ball in anyway, so what does it matter?

What about in these scenarios?

High Line, Offside Trap: Leaving him unmarked means the line is going to be almost impossible to hold. Or he is going to just be wide open to the side for a through ball anyway

Deep Line: There is no space behind to play a ball in anyway, so what does it matter?

Well exactly. If the oppo have wingers or strikers who are quicker than your defenders, playing a high line and offside trap is suicidal, surely?

Archived