Scoring goals

I've been playing FM for ages and I've recently decided to give handheld a try and man.. this game is hard.

I started out with Newcastle, made some transfers, and things were going fine before I suddenly hit a spell where I was completely unable to score and went from mid-table to bottom, being relegated with 23 goals for the entire season.

I figured I had to be doing something wrong and restarted the game, tried again with completely different tactics and again I hit a spell where I'm goalless in six matches, now I'm bottom again after 12 matches with 9 goals scored total.

I'm struggling to figure out what I'm doing wrong here. I know that sometimes things work in mysterious ways in FM but the hopeless feeling that I can't do anything to influence the result is just overwhelming when the result every round is almost uniformly 0-2 or 0-3 to good teams or 0-1/0-0 to teams at a similar or lower level. What's going on here? Is it just that form just has a ridiculous amount of influence?

(managed to get another 0-1 at home to West Brom and 0-2 away to Wolves just while I was typing this, so that's 9 in 14 now!

• SI Staff

In general when 'learning' the ropes to the game I'd suggest picking a 'standard' tactic and only doing minor tweaks with it (ie. leave EVERYTHING at defaults with possibly just tweaking a player role or two) ... then as you gain confidence then try more daring changes.

That being said - if you're using the iPhone version let me know and I'll start a game as Newcastle this evening and post how I get on and the tactics etc. I use here - hopefully it'll give you some pointers.

(sorry but my PSP is rather out of service at present - pending me wrestling it off my eldest son ;) )

Archived