Home performances against lower reputation teams

Firstly, my apologies if this has been covered elsewhere. I did a search but only got hits for people discussing ways to increase a teams reputation.

Anyway, on with my point, does anyone else have a moment when their heart sinks because they are playing at home against a bottom of the table team. If I get a 1-0 or a 2-0 win, I can consider myself happy, because more often than not, it will be a massive struggle, usually with the opposition scoring first. I try all kinds of tactics to keep my players on their toes - fully utilising the press conference and pre-match teamtalk. I even change formation if necessary to nullify any threat - and still it ends up a struggle.

why should a table-topping team have to go through this rigmarole? Surely, the outcome of the match is too heavily influenced by the possibility for complacency and not on individual skill and collective team tactics.

Don't ask Harry Redknapp for advice, whatever you do!

As well as the man-management, you also have to consider your tactics. Better teams are more likely to come out and attack you, leading to a more open game. Struggling teams are going to be more cautious and 'park the bus'. That makes them harder to break down so you need to be flexible with your tactics and try different approaches to outwitting them. From the way you write, it looks to me as if you're not giving enough attention to the micro-management of the tactics - individual instructions, shout, OIs and so on. Head over to the Tactics forum for detailed advice.

I give plenty of attention to micro-management. I speak to players who are prone to complacency. I set up the opposition instructions in EVERY game. My point is not that I can't win these games, I can, but that it seems to require a lot more effort to beat the bottom teams than it really should. I'm not saying that you shouldn't have to make an effort. I'm sure Alex Ferguson makes consideration for a home game against Wigan, but I bet he doesn't have to make as much preparation as he would for a game against a better team. It just seems a bit disproportianate

On the contrary. I'd say that's why Man Utd are poised to take the title and Arsenal are not. Arsenal have been poor at breaking down the teams they were supposed to beat despite dominating possession and creating chances whereas United have been more ruthless. I suspect it is because Wenger has been too confident against lesser opposition and didn't prepare his teams as thoroughly as SAF. In addition SAF mixes up his formations and tactics in a way that Wenger doesn't; thus Arsenal are more predictable to play against and defend against.

Archived