football manager on playstation 3?

I believe there was a console version (xbox I think) a few versions ago. I cant remember the reason that there was no further devolopment of FM for this format though.

I believe there was a console version (xbox I think) a few versions ago. I cant remember the reason that there was no further devolopment of FM for this format though.

Because there isn't enough interest in that kind of game amongst console users.

Because consoles are not able to cope with the demands of running a lot of leagues with plenty of players without slowing to a crawl.

Because a game like that just doesn't work with a controller, it takes about 5 minutes to do anything.

Because console gamers are far less evolved than PC gamers and therefore are unable to understand the complexities of football management!

Consoles are starting to catch up to what FM needs, but I think one of the biggest problems they faced was the interface - you really do need a mouse and a keyboard to play it.

But yeah, especially given the direction consoles are heading in, I can't see FM making it to them in either this generation or the next.

PS3 and Xbox all graphics and no grunt, to be fair my freakin' laptop can out graphic and out grunt either of them.

Remember, they were both conceived in 2004 despite the late release of PS3, and even then the PS3 was dumbed down from the original Japanese spec.

Can see the next gen consoles supporting it, but it still needs a keyboard/pad/ball arrangement as I cannot see a controller cutting it and wouldn;t want the game dumbed down just so's I can play it on my consoles. Easier to link laptop wirelessly to TV.

I actually find FM to be much quicker and easier to use on a console than dragging a mouse pointer all around the screen.

But sadly SI have stated in the past that there's no more console versions of FM coming out at least in the short term future. The main reason for this they said is because of converting the interface and also the problems they arise with SDTV displays. The console hardware is much improved this day and age, FM08 on 360 ran at same speed as my PC version, it just ran smaller db. The multi-core processing power potential is definitely there in both xbox and ps3.

I'm sticking to CM02/03 on ye olde x box and FM06 on 360 though until I hear any news. :)

Though what the heck are you on about mackem, console gamers are 'less evolved'? Do I regress in evolution and grow a tail or something whenever I boot up my playstation?! lol Utter nonsense.

As someone with many years of PC games playing behind him, I now fully appreciate the joys of playing on a console, where games just work and don't require internet trawling for patches, constant hardware and OS tinkering, etc.

PC games are still great but you only have to look in shops now to see where the market is heading.

PC games are still great but you only have to look in shops now to see where the market is heading.

To be fair, PC gaming fell out of retail in favour of digital distribution some time ago, it remains in decline, but then whilst people like me have moved our sports and FPS games to console, RTS and FM in particular are going to require my PC for a time to come.

I can see Xbox and PC ending up sharing code at some point as MS brings Windows, Windows Phone, Xbox and it's media offerings ever closer together. Where PS3 goes from here is anyones guess.

Yeah CM 01/02 was the first one on X Box, CM 02/03 was a sequel specifically for console. CM4 was the PC equivalent I think, which the original X Box clearly wasn't powerful enough to run at the time.

The main notable difference was CM 02/03 let you play music from the X Box HDD (a feature lacking in CM 01/02) while you played it, so got alot more playtime from me as a result. :D It was great, you were limited to only 3 leagues and it had a habit of going laggy (which would be fixed by clicking on all the menus - a cache issue perhaps?) especially at the start of loaded games, but it ran pretty smoothly and I got some of my longest CM saves of any version out of that X Box game. :)

The next CM/FM game on console was FM06 on 360, a fantastic port of the PC game IMO, did a great job of porting over the control scheme and UI to make things accessable with a good pace and decent amount of selectable leagues. FM07 and FM08 changed the UI and controls quite a bit, which I wasn't a massive fan of, and FM08 especially virtually ruined the expereince for me by having a tiny ME pitch and speed settings that rendered matches almost un-followable.

So I usually stick to FM06 on console, ocassionally popping back to CM 02/03 for added nostalgia. :D

yeah i had the 02/03 version on xbox (cant believe it was that long ago now!!) but it just wasnt the same as the PC version, worked quite well but didnt seem to have the same depth, especially in the database size. Plus the UI was clunky and designed for a mouse, even the button shortcuts they introduced didnt help that much. I dont think an Xbox would cope with a full version of FM, if it did it would be very slow after a few seasons.

Yeah the db was certainly smaller than PC version, it would be random luck as to whether certain players (C. Ronaldo, Ibrahimovic) would appear in game.

I never had problems with the control of the game though, thought it was great that you could use the analogue stick to replicate a mouse cursor or use the d-pad for quick scroling between options, which was usually my prefered choice as it made the game much faster and fluid.

I wanted to do video guides to it at the time all those years ago as I used to do quite well in it and emassed quite a good knowledge of good players over the years playing it, but I never figured out what the best vid capture stuff to use was. Someone did beat me to a text guide on gamefaqs though. :D

I appealed to SI to release it on XBLA/PSN or make it 'BC' on the 360 in the past but their hands seemed tied by Eidos owning the name copyright sadly. I'd love to make my own footie management game in a CM vein for XBL/PSN but I wouldn't know where to start. :D

Archived