"Laughed off"

I had 5 seasons at Celtic where I won 13 trophies and a great record in the Champions League. I let my contract run out and left. During the summer, I declared interest in the Chelsea job and this was "laughed off" by Abramovich as was my interest in Stuttgart despite me having a "world class" reputation. Why is this?

I'm no expert but it might be a bug, i have also had this but not as bad as yours. i am Ebbsfleet United manager for 8 years and getting them from the Blue Square South to the Championship, and i have been declaring interest for jobs to sides that are in the mid table of the Premier League and they have been laughing off my interest

Your reputation is only relevant to where you have managed. So, as you have only managed in Scotland before. Your reputation isn't world class for higher rep leagues. So you'd be best off applying for lower Premierships sides and Championship sides. I also think it's because you aren't tested in England.

Applying for Chelsea I can understand. Could you see Martin O'Neill, Gordon Strachan, Tony Mowbray or Neil Lennon getting the Chelsea job should Ancelottie go this summer?

Doing it with Celtic just doesn't count for too much outside Scotland. You need to be aiming for the midtable Premier League sides.

Well, I downloaded a scout tool to check my reputation and it is 9000+ out of 10,000 (that is world rep, the rest are at 10,000), so it shouldn't matter if I'm untested in England, especially when I was beating English teams in the CL after spending 14 million in 5 seasons.

My game is patched up to 11.3.

EDIT: considering Mick McCarthy is the current manager of Chelsea in my game and they didn't qualify for Europe, I would be a prime candidate for them, in my opinion.

I suppose your 9000+ Reputation was the Home Reputation... What was the figure for World Rep?

Anyway, it's back to the usual "League Standard" bias...

Basically all your success in Scotland means diddly-squat to Top Clubs in England/Spain/Germany/Italy because the gameworld still considers your achievements at Celtic "minor league stuff". And unless you can actually WIN a Champions League, they won't care if you've become a staple of CL Group Stage or Knockout Round.

The game fails badly at recognizing and "rewarding" success by putting it into perspective, so if you're not managing in one of the Top Leagues, your chances to land a prestigious job there are slim at best if you don't manage to win European competitions with your current club...

As annoying as it is: a 8th place in EPL as Wigan will mean more than 5 SPL titles and several CL campaigns as Celtic.

But of course such crap doesn't apply to AI managers, because their World Rep is higher, so you can see plenty of undeserving inepts landing the manager job at Top Clubs, just to fail spectacularly and to be replaced by other fools... all of that while you keep winning left and right in a minor country.

I already said that was my world rep.

I guess I'll have to just start a new game. I hadn't played any games with the 11.3 match engine in this game and I have now; it's pretty bad. Is there any way to roll back, or will it require a fresh install?

I got offered both the Leverkusen (manager retired after doing the double) and Inter jobs after 3 seasons at Hibs. I'm went to Leverkusen. So I have no idea what's going wrong. Are the clubs you're declaring interest in precarious, or at least very insecure?

I guess I'll have to just start a new game. I hadn't played any games with the 11.3 match engine in this game and I have now; it's pretty bad. Is there any way to roll back, or will it require a fresh install?

I wouldn't advise you to roll back...

11.3 sort of fixed the reputation issue that was much bigger in previous versions, so if you're already struggling with landing a better job in 11.3, reverting to 11.x will just make things worse.

Your best chance is either to win the Champions League with Celtic or to move to a mid-table side in England (or Spain) to get a foot in the door in EPL.

Applying for Chelsea I can understand. Could you see Martin O'Neill, Gordon Strachan, Tony Mowbray or Neil Lennon getting the Chelsea job should Ancelottie go this summer?

If they've consistently done well with Celtic in the Champions League, then probably. That's the key difference.

Doing it with Celtic just doesn't count for too much outside Scotland. You need to be aiming for the midtable Premier League sides.

Yeah, because Guardiola had a really massive reputation as manager when he took over Barca.

It's clearly a bug. Maybe Abravomic would like a more successful manager, sure, but he shouldn't be laughed out of the job...

This seems a bit strange for a game on 11.3. I started my career at Auckland City then moved to lower league England, then took a second division Brazilian team to promotion. After this I won two league titles and the Libertadores with Racing before leaving Argentina to become manager of Man United. It doesn't seem right that you are being laughed off.

Thing is, Guardiola is a Barcelona legend and he already managed their youth team. Huge difference.

Yeah, huge difference. A manager who hasn't won anything gets the manager job of the best team in the world. Why? Because he's a legend.

If that can happen, then surely a successful manager in his country with constant good presence in the CL shouldn't be laughed out of any job.

Yeah, huge difference. A manager who hasn't won anything gets the manager job of the best team in the world. Why? Because he's a legend.

It's not as if they hired Guardiola "just" because he was a legend... Not to mention his appointment was indeed subject to criticism and doubts... It was a risky choice, it could have backfired badly, but I suppose they sort of knew what he was capable of.

If that can happen, then surely a successful manager in his country with constant good presence in the CL shouldn't be laughed out of any job.

As much as I would like to agree, I have to disagree... There is an undeniable "Top Nation bias" both in real life and in FM... It normally takes something truly spectacular to a manager from a second-rate club/country to get a chance at a club in one of the Top Nations.

FC Copenhagen have been dominating domestically and have had some impressive stints in Europe, still I think Ståle Solbakken isn't the hottest manager around, at least outside the Scandinavian area...

Nils Arne Eggen, despite being the Norwegian equivalent of SAF, is probably a name most football fans would have to look up on Wikipedia to find out about...

So no, unfortunately for plenty of good managers in real-life (and in FM world) it's not about WHAT you do, but about WHERE you do it.

Added to that I was unbeaten in one season, got over 100 points in each season, scored over 100 goals, conceded less than 25, won the league by at least 20 points, spent 14 million in 5 seasons, had a balance of 40 million, finished top of my CL group twice and 2nd the rest of the time. Shouldn't be laughed out of any job, in my opinion. Even ignoring all of those things, my rep was "world class" and managers with reps of "national" were getting jobs ahead of me.

It's not as if they hired Guardiola "just" because he was a legend... Not to mention his appointment was indeed subject to criticism and doubts... It was a risky choice, it could have backfired badly, but I suppose they sort of knew what he was capable of.

As much as I would like to agree, I have to disagree... There is an undeniable "Top Nation bias" both in real life and in FM... It normally takes something truly spectacular to a manager from a second-rate club/country to get a chance at a club in one of the Top Nations.

FC Copenhagen have been dominating domestically and have had some impressive stints in Europe, still I think Ståle Solbakken isn't the hottest manager around, at least outside the Scandinavian area...

Nils Arne Eggen, despite being the Norwegian equivalent of SAF, is probably a name most football fans would have to look up on Wikipedia to find out about...

So no, unfortunately for plenty of good managers in real-life (and in FM world) it's not about WHAT you do, but about WHERE you do it.

Real-life and FM are two very different things. In FM, Mick McCarthy is the manager of Chelsea and has failed to get them into Europe. I think if someone who has the credentials I listed above (and the fact that my Celtic have reguarly defeated top English sides home and away in the CL) came for that job, they would, at the least, be considered.

But as I have already shown, what you say here doesn't exist. This is my biography, it's not exceptional:

fjow7q.png

Although I was not born in 1975.

On the U21s tab of a country there is an apply for job button. I resigned from it in the end, for some reason I was only playing 10 outfield players (which doesn't make sense), so I couldn't progress unless I holidayed the match.

Archived