Home Grown

After 4 years at Celtic, I took over at Man City. Now i'm in the 2nd season there and have a few questions regarding the home grown rules.

1) As i've understood from a few threads i've read, on FM 11 the only players that will become home grown at th nation/club are ones who are signed before they turn 18- Is this correct?

2) Following the 1st question, if that is correct, this means you can't get Argentine/Brazilian players to become HG, because the game won't allow you to sign them before they turn 18- Is this correct?

3) Also, as far as i've understood, if lets say you sign an 17 year old frenchman, and loan him out, he will still become HG at nation at some point, even if you loan him out for 3 stright seasons, but he won't become HG at club- Is this correct?

Hoping someone can give accurate answers for this.

After 4 years at Celtic, I took over at Man City. Now i'm in the 2nd season there and have a few questions regarding the home grown rules.

1) As i've understood from a few threads i've read, on FM 11 the only players that will become home grown at th nation/club are ones who are signed before they turn 18- Is this correct?

Players need three years before they turn 21yo so yes you need to sign them at 17yo at the oldest for them to become HG.

2) Following the 1st question, if that is correct, this means you can't get Argentine/Brazilian players to become HG, because the game won't allow you to sign them before they turn 18- Is this correct?

Not 100% on this but if you get them on their 18th birthday it should be possible technically but I can't say for sure. Obviously players whose birthdays fall outside of a transfer window you have no hope for.

Another thing to look out for would be those that have a secondary nationality that might allow them to come over earlier.

3) Also, as far as i've understood, if lets say you sign an 17 year old frenchman, and loan him out, he will still become HG at nation at some point, even if you loan him out for 3 stright seasons, but he won't become HG at club- Is this correct?

hHoping someone can give accurate answers for this.

Don't know about this one.

Players need three years before they turn 21yo so yes you need to sign them at 17yo at the oldest for them to become HG.

Not 100% on this but if you get them on their 18th birthday it should be possible technically but I can't say for sure. Obviously players whose birthdays fall outside of a transfer window you have no hope for.

Another thing to look out for would be those that have a secondary nationality that might allow them to come over earlier.

Don't know about this one.

Ok, thanks for the feedback.

The thing with the Brazilian and Argentine players bothers me the most. Is that the same IRL? can't English clubs turn them home grown? and are they really not allowed to move before they become 18?

Ok, thanks for the feedback.

The thing with the Brazilian and Argentine players bothers me the most. Is that the same IRL? can't English clubs turn them home grown? and are they really not allowed to move before they become 18?

The only real example I can think of is Rafael and Fabio at Man U. They joined when they were eighteen so I would think that would be how it works

And I dont think they can be turned homegrown if they havent spent at least three years before they were twenty one. I may be wrong though

All of the 18 year old brazilians and argentinians I've signed (on future transfers, from before they turned 18) have been able to get home-grown status.

I don't think it has to be exact, but then again, I've had 18 year olds who havent been able to get home grown status, but they were signed some time after they were 18 (don't know exactly how much).

All of the 18 year old brazilians and argentinians I've signed (on future transfers, from before they turned 18) have been able to get home-grown status.

I don't think it has to be exact, but then again, I've had 18 year olds who havent been able to get home grown status, but they were signed some time after they were 18 (don't know exactly how much).

OK, i'm hoping that's the case, as i'm about to sign 3 Argentinians, who are now 16/17, but will only arrive after they will turn 18.

If it is correct what you guys have said above, I throw in my 5cent.

The player needs to -not- be 22 on the 01.01.xx three years after you signed him.

This means that you can sign Brazilians in the summer window who don't turn 19 until next year - in other words they need to be born before 1.july if they have turned 18 already. This is correct if the above is correct.

I've had players get HG when they have arrived a month or two into their 18th birthday, though sometimes it's hit or miss. If you have issues with players not allowed to leave till their 18th birthday, try looking for players who turn 18 in the summer or winter transfer window so you get them spot on 18 years old.

Archived