what makes a good assistant manager?

thought i'd post this in the general dicussion because there is no forum for good staff..........

i'm looking for a new assistant and want to get you guys' take on what he should have. and i include hidden attributes here. call me a cheat, but i use the SI editor to check things that i dont believe SHOULD be hidden. we all know darren anderton was injury prone and that joey barton is dirty and unprofessional, i dont believe these attributes should be hidden. but i digress.

so, for an assistant manager: motivating yes, for team talks. determination? tactical knowledge if you want feedback during a game and to set opposition instructions.

but what about things like pressure and professionalism. would these be useful for an asst man or do they only come into play if he's a manager.

the one i dont care about is buying players. i dont filter out unrealitic targets anymore cos the asst man often gets it wrong and i can normally tell by wages/team rep if a player is realistically gonna join me and if i can fit him into my wage structure.

your thoughts are welcome..............

neil

Depends what you want them to do.

If it's another coach, then the coaching attributes are most important.

If it's someone for team talks, motivating is important.

If it's someone to take charge of games, man management and tactics are important.

Basically, the more you want him to do your job, the better he has to be in every attribute.

hmmm. i want him to be my assistant, not do my job. yes, take control of team talks - therefore motivation - and to take charge of the reserves so i guess tactical knowledge could be important.

the two i'm really wondering about are pressure and professionalism. will he go to jelly late in the season and make bad team talks if pressure is low? how will professionalsim affect his performance? i'm just not sure if these hidden attributes are purely for managers or if they affect assistnant managers too.....

In this order:

Motivating

Tactical knowledge

Judging PA/CA (for the report on players)

Man handling

Discipline

Determination

Youth handling/training

Preferred tactics/playing style/pressing/passing/mentality

Media handling style (down here because it is so inaccurate)

No idea, I don't deal with hidden attributes. I only work with what the game shows me - far more enjoyable that way.

like i said, contentious issue i guess, i enjoy my game a lot but when making key purchases i sometimes delve into the hidden attributes simply because i believe some (injury proneness for example) shouldnt be hidden.

ok, you dont deal: but would you say pressure or professionalsim would have any bearing on staff? or are these just traits for managers.......

BigguesD: why determination?

Man handling

Discipline

That's a different way to motivate people eh?

Anyway, personally, I like high tactical knowledge, motivating, judging players (especially current ability) as the most important stats.

Discpline is important too as I sometimes holiday and I want him to be firm if he has to make a decision, reputation I couldn't dare less about, and I'm very keen he has preferred tactics in-line with how I like to play, because I want to be sure he makes the team play similarly to what I do.

like i said, contentious issue i guess, i enjoy my game a lot but when making key purchases i sometimes delve into the hidden attributes simply because i believe some (injury proneness for example) shouldnt be hidden.

ok, you dont deal: but would you say pressure or professionalsim would have any bearing on staff? or are these just traits for managers.......

Staff has CA/PA and Determination helps the CA raise.

Injury proneness, Consistency, Important matches are factored in the player reports (if the staff doing it is good enough maybe?). There it says if somebody is susceptible to injuries, inconsistent performer, relishes big matches, etc.

Injury proneness is shown in injury history.

Determination because it is indicative of personality, and it boosts coaching

I would say the most important stats for an assistant manager are

determination

motivation

tactical knowledge

man management

judging player ability

the last of which is incase you use him to help pick a team and if you have him managing your reserves

could add working with youngsters and judging player potential if you have him managing your u18's aswell

I would say the most important stats for an assistant manager are

determination

motivation

tactical knowledge

man management

judging player ability

the last of which is incase you use him to help pick a team and if you have him managing your reserves

could add working with youngsters and judging player potential if you have him managing your u18's aswell

IIRC someone had Jose Mourinho assistant :D

I can only assume they edited the game then. I have never been able to get a manager, either one currently at a club or one out of work, to accept an assistant manager position without editing the game.

As to who makes a good assistant I personally think the man to go for is John Park who starts the game at Celtic. He has very high stats in most of the areas mentioned above. A lot of people also think that Terry McDermott is the best assistant in the game so check out both and make your own mind up.

Depends what you need in your staff... if you need better coaching then coaching attributes... if you want tactical help (that's question advice anyway) then tactical knowledge. Scouting attributes if you want more info on your players.

Just what needs do you have in your staff.. if you play at a big enough club.. get it all.

I want my Assistant to basically be my head of PR, in that his main responsibility is Press Conferences.

The only other thing he needs to do are:

*Opposition Instructions

*Advice on Teamtalks

* Assistant Match Advice.

What does Man Management do?

It seems like I only need Motivating and Tactical Knowledge. Does the Tactical stat only apply to coaching and Tactical Knowledge applies to their advice.

I have Tassotti ATM, who is very good. But at the moment it looks like I'd be better off with a guy who has 20 Motivating, and 20 Tactical Knowledge.

I want my Assistant to basically be my head of PR, in that his main responsibility is Press Conferences.

The only other thing he needs to do are:

*Opposition Instructions

*Advice on Teamtalks

* Assistant Match Advice.

What does Man Management do?

It seems like I only need Motivating and Tactical Knowledge. Does the Tactical stat only apply to coaching and Tactical Knowledge applies to their advice.

I have Tassotti ATM, who is very good. But at the moment it looks like I'd be better off with a guy who has 20 Motivating, and 20 Tactical Knowledge.

Well... considering their tactical advise can be questionable... I'm wondering, since I've never had a asst man with a 20 tactical knowledge...

Does a asst man with that high still tell you to show a player onto his weaker foot when that player is strong on both? Because they do that ALL the time.

Yeah it depends what you want your Ass. Man (heh, heh) to do. I want mine to take over press conferences, give team talk advice and give a heads up on promising youngsters in the U18's. What I assume is for press conferences and team talks he needs a good motivation and man management and for watching the youngsters he obviously needs a good judging player potential. As will everyone, a good determination is a given. In my case, Martin Keown is the man:

Man Management: 15

Motivating: 16

Judging PA: 19

Determination: 19

• 2 weeks later...

how important is discipline? I have someone lined up, who only has 1 discipline, but another has 20... but only 10 for tactical knowledge, whereas the guy with 1 discipline has 15.

I've seen a few people mention it... i'm guessing it's not terribly important, but is 1 too low? thanks.

how important is discipline? I have someone lined up, who only has 1 discipline, but another has 20... but only 10 for tactical knowledge, whereas the guy with 1 discipline has 15.

I've seen a few people mention it... i'm guessing it's not terribly important, but is 1 too low? thanks.

i dont think it's terribly important. discipline is used for coaches when they're coaching. assistant managers need imo good determination (everyone needs that) motivating if you let'em take teamtalks and tactical knowledge for help in a match. and possibly, though i'm not sure on this, man management also for team talks to tell players there is no pressure on them etc.........

I can't confirm this but I suspect the attributes for staff are cosmetic...

Ran a save over and over...using the same data base....I modified my staff's attributes to 1 for all; then to 7 for all; then to 14 for all and finally to 20 for all...

Each time, scouting reports from scouts/ass man on the same 100 players were almost identical despite their attributes....my players' growth (albeit for a 7 months stretch only...) are not wholly different whether the coach is 1 or 20 in all attributes (also whether 1 star or 4+ stars)...team talks worked reasonably well in all cases too...similar injuries take about the same time to heal whether my physios have 1 or 20 attributes....

Though because I holiday through much of the 7+ months, some results are different...but the differences were not consistent with how good my team of staff is... at all 1, my team won 11 drawn 9 lost 10....at all 7, my team won 13 drawn 8 lost 9...at all 14, my team won 12 drawn 9 and lost 9....at all 20, my team won 11 drawn 11 and lost 8...my reserves performed similarly too...

Admittedly...I wasn't as focused on the football...leaving most things to my staff...my main role was to keep editing their attributes to keep them in line with the experiment...I left the players field blank and went on holiday the day before each match so I do not influence the outcome directly...

While not conclusive, the results i got suggest that staff attributes have far less impact on the game than I originally thought...in the short term anyways...

If anyone else is willing to try this experiment too, then we may have more data to compare and analyse...

Archived