Why Steam???

OK, I've always hated Steam, and now more.

My cousin who lives on a farm wanted FM for Easter.

No shops anywhere near so on his dial uip connection downloaded FM via Steam.

OK after about 18 hours it downloaded, updated etc.

He clicked on play and after spending about half an hour on "Preparing to launch" the thing started downloading again.

After a phone call, I told him it could be another patch so he left it.

Then a nearly a day later it had finished,

He then double clicked and the thing started downloading again.

He has now gone over his 5GB limit.

Any ideas on how to get the thing started.

Sorry but using Steam or any program that requires a significant download on a dial up connection is just asking for trouble.

As for how to fix it - Take the PC to somewhere with a high speed connection.

I think you are spot on with that.

I emailed Steam and they told me it would not be a problem using dial up as the cache integrity could be checked. he checked it and it was OK.

I don't know, it must be gutting for him.

Steam is a great service (and a billion-dollar one) for people with good internet. I have bought over 200 games on it and love it to hell. Each to his own, though. With dial-up, he should of got it off Amazon or you could of bought him a copy and sent it to him.

Your "friend" needs to realise that he can't play games online with a dial-up.

Buying games from an Internet service, such as Steam, requires a good internet connection. Anything else is just expensive, inconvenient and stupid.

Your "friend" needs to realise that he can't play games online with a dial-up.

Buying games from an Internet service, such as Steam, requires a good internet connection. Anything else is just expensive, inconvenient and stupid.

My "friend" is a 12 year old child who is my cousin.

My "friend" is a 12 year old child who is my cousin.

Good learning experience though...

Blaming steam? really?

Steam has far more pros then cons, why it's so popular and caught on so well. People just like to hate.

Sorry your cousins had a hard time, but I remember being put out because I couldn't get games to work on DOS in the pre-windows era when I was that age. You learn and grow from it.

Good learning experience though...

Blaming steam? really?

Steam has far more pros then cons, why it's so popular and caught on so well. People just like to hate.

Sorry your cousins had a hard time, but I remember being put out because I couldn't get games to work on DOS in the pre-windows era when I was that age. You learn and grow from it.

Steam were the ones who told me that his dial up would be OK.

If they said it wasn't I would never have got the game for him.

Steam were the ones who told me that his dial up would be OK.

If they said it wasn't I would never have got the game for him.

well go complain to steam then. Not sure what you expect to happen complaining about a service on a companies forum which has no control over the infomation steam gives you

So what is the actual problem?

Steam told you the dial up would be fine, and it isn't? Speak to them.

Some details of the actual problem would be appreciated, otherwise people can't really help.

Was it patches? Was it re-downloading the same files?

Steam is a great service (and a billion-dollar one) for people with good internet. I have bought over 200 games on it and love it to hell. Each to his own, though. With dial-up, he should of got it off Amazon or you could of bought him a copy and sent it to him.

Yeah, that's pretty much the way I think about it.

I will say to Mr. Blobby, I hope your cousin can get a real Internet connection at some point. I don't think I could handle dial-up in this era.

Archived