Speed up the smoothness of the game on iPod Touch 2G?

My mate's got the new iPod Touch, the 4G, and it's INCREDIBLY smooth when changing between screens, AND in the match engine. On mine however, it's incredibly jumpy and almost unwatchable. Is there something I can do to speed it up? I've turned the iPod off and on in a hard boot, is there anything else I can do Marc?

• SI Staff

The 2g is quite old I'm afraid - and has a FAR slower processor than on the later model iTouches (even a 3gs is pretty smooth).

If you haven't already please install the latest update (the one which enabled iPad HD) as I altered the rendering system in that to speed it up and that might help a little, beyond that I'm always trying to optimise the performance of the game (and will continue to do so on later updates) - but I'm afraid certain thing will always be a little sluggish on older devices, sorry.

You could always upgrade. I sold my 2nd Gen touch for £130 and bought a new 4th Gen one for £170. A huge upgrade for £40. Although i then had to sell the 4th Gen (and only got £120) two months later as i had to buy an iphone, but you get the idea. The 4th Gen touch is massively better than than the 2nd Gen one.

2nd Gen touch - 533MHz

3rd Gen touch (not 8Gb) - 600MHz

4th Gen touch - 800MHz

iPhone 3g - 412Mhz

iPHone 3GS - 600MHz

iPhone 4 - 800MHz

iPad - 1GHz

iPad 2 - 1GHz dual core

TBH I found FMHi okay on the 2G when I had one, but it wasn't fast by any account. It was noticeably faster and smoother on the 4G and really motors through processing on the iPad 1 and 2.

You could always upgrade. I sold my 2nd Gen touch for £130 and bought a new 4th Gen one for £170. A huge upgrade for £40. Although i then had to sell the 4th Gen (and only got £120) two months later as i had to buy an iphone, but you get the idea. The 4th Gen touch is massively better than than the 2nd Gen one.

Where did you manage to get that much for it?!

• SI Staff
TBH I found FMHi okay on the 2G when I had one, but it wasn't fast by any account. It was noticeably faster and smoother on the 4G and really motors through processing on the iPad 1 and 2.

I make a point of having one of each generation of device here and test the game on each when developing it to try and ensure its as playable on each as is possible - basically I want everyone who has the game to enjoy it on whatever device they own.

Where did you manage to get that much for it?!

On ebay. It turned into a bidding war and they drove the price up to £130 PLUS postage. It was two years old as well. Idiots really. As I said, when I actually sold my 4th Gen device which was only two months old i only got £120. But it gives you an idea that they have good second hand values. Definitely worth upgrading just to play FMHi.

Archived