Things they should bring back to FM!

Just loaded up CM03/04 for nostalgic purposes and decided to take a look around. I immediately came across a couple of things I really liked but have since been removed from the series.

Two small things I really want back from the CM era in a future FM:

1) Manager's favourite personnel list. I'm not sure how it worked on CM03/04 but I've loaded an old save and there it is - click on my profile and I can see a couple of players on my favourites. It's a nice little touch and I want it back!

2) Star players are given stars on the squad screen. This was a classic Championship Manager thing that seems to have been removed when we moved over to FM. I don't know why but I miss it badly. It was great to glance and see who the stars of the side were in any team.

Use this thread to add anything else you can think of from the old days that could be brought back and used in a future FM!

On a slightly unrelated note, I've just opened up my CM01/02 CD case and a floppy disk (presumably containing tactics and/or saves) fell on to my lap! I don't have a floppy disk drive these days so no way of telling what's on the disk! :D

At least I had moved on to burning CDs by the time CM03/04 was out. Two of my main saves were burnt to disk, along with a bunch of tactics, so I was able to load up and take a look at my old saves. :)

I loved the favoured personel thing. Peter Weatherson who was immense on my Daggers save on that version was on listed as a favourite. They should definitely bring that back. Also I would like the ability to praise players to the press bought back again. It doesn't seem that important in the press-conferences and I'd love to be able to praise or fire rockets at players in the press again.

I tell you what they should bring back - how fast CM01/02 is on my machine! It's so quick!

A look at the back of the box reveals that all you needed was 16MB RAM! :D

Agreed.

I have just been playing that lol.

Interesting that CM01/02 has ended up as the 'classic' and most popular of the CM series.

I wonder which out of the FM series would be picked if you were looking for the 'classic' and most popular in the same way?

FM07 maybe?

For me, probably FM05. Clean, crisp graphics, ran fast, and the editor worked, unlike FM06.

They should have classic modes, where you can start season from the 2000-2008 database. It should be on their expansion pack where you have to pay maybe $5-15 dollar. I think it'll be nice to play players like Zidane, Ronaldo, Figo with the new FM 11 features and match engine :D

I know its been mentioned before and Si say for legal reasons they can't but... fights and the like.

I remember in a game where Michael Owen ran the length of the pitch and pushed the ref over. Was banned for 8 months or something was brilliant. Could they not bring it back for regens even if for legal reason they can't make real players partake in such behaviour?

Before reading the opening post I was already thinking about the three starred players. I thought it was always great to have an idea who the fans loved, rather than just assuming they like the best players all the time.

One thing I would like back from the older versions is the speed. I know it is never going to happen but I used to love the days where I could complete a season in one night, with the recent versions it takes me at least a couple of days to get one done.

Looking back at the older versions though it is scary just how many 'features' we now take for granted. Simple things like right click menus, scout reports with stars, new stadia, multi select, custom views etc. As much as I enjoyed the older versions it is these sorts of things that would stop me going back.

Before reading the opening post I was already thinking about the three starred players. I thought it was always great to have an idea who the fans loved, rather than just assuming they like the best players all the time.

Yeah, I wish we had that back!

You sort of get it with national teams on the club information page but I want the stars back and for all teams! :D

One thing I would like back from the older versions is the speed. I know it is never going to happen but I used to love the days where I could complete a season in one night, with the recent versions it takes me at least a couple of days to get one done.

100% with you there. :thup:

Looking back at the older versions though it is scary just how many 'features' we now take for granted. Simple things like right click menus, scout reports with stars, new stadia, multi select, custom views etc. As much as I enjoyed the older versions it is these sorts of things that would stop me going back.

I agree again. Things like detailed coach reports with stars, which came in relatively recently with FM08, are another example of something I take for granted on the new games.

More postponements (you only get the odd 1 nowadays on the game, but should really have the possibility of widespread postponements on 1 day throughout the leagues (like over Christmas etc in real life). Abandonments (only 1 or 2 a season, not like 50).

Good ideas, do players ever go AWOL now? I haven't seen it in a while. I remember once Niall Quinn getting a 90 day global ban for decking someone in a game, a bit unlikely for him, but I think you don't get long term bans anymore. I have never known a game to be postponed in recent years that would be a good addition as mentioned previously. A lot of people might disagree, but I liked it when the Assistant Managers two recommended teams were a first and second eleven, rather than a first team and a youth team. I would prefer to go back to that.

International retirements during the game. I think the only version that had it was FM 2007, I'm not sure why they decided to take it out of the versions since then.

What? I've had this a lot as an international manager on both FM11 and FM10

More postponements (you only get the odd 1 nowadays on the game, but should really have the possibility of widespread postponements on 1 day throughout the leagues (like over Christmas etc in real life). Abandonments (only 1 or 2 a season, not like 50).

I'm with Stevvy. Back in November and December, the amount of snow Britain had played havoc with the fixtures. That never happens in game.

Also, stadia requirements for leagues should return. Teams should be denied promotion if they don't improve their ground to the required standard, or at the very least the game should force them to do so when they team is promotion.

* Star players

* Speed

* FIGHTS FFS!!!!

Add a damn disclaimer to the 145 intro videos and give us some real-life-like scuffles...

I don't really buy into the whole "they'll sue us" paranoia... You can still have players being unsporting/unprofessional, getting red cards for nasty challenges, no-showing at training, partying til the morning ect... but god forbid having players getting involved in tussles and fight during the game...

It's part of the game, sadly a BIG PART in some countries and a bad habit of plenty of players... so why not? Is a player going to sue SI if he gets 3 red cards in a save? No... So why should he sue if his in-game alter ego sucker-punches an opponent? It's not real...

And if USM could get away with bribing and match-fixing attempts, I can't see a reason to fuss about a once-a-year red card for poor sportsmanship...

Please, please, please bring back the ability to take off a slightly injured player after you have used all of your subs.
THIS! I have no idea why they would get rid of it...

You can do this.

Drag the player as if you were going to make a sub anyway and the game will then give you the option to take the player off. Only works with players who have picked up a knock.

I must be well sad it takes me weeks to complete a season!! Do you actually get to play any of the game and fully appreciate the content??

Printable fixtures / results page for the season.

That is on FM have done it myself am sure its ctrl + P. Save it as a text file and you can open and print on note pad it saves in your my documents folder.

Know its not as simple as before but its still there :D

That is on FM have done it myself am sure its ctrl + P. Save it as a text file and you can open and print on note pad it saves in your my documents folder.

Maybe also nowadays it's just easier to take screenshots. I remember the printing option was from times when gaming magazines would stil lactually take photographs of computer screens to get them.

The transfer screen at the end of every week in the style of an old cranky printer ala CM93.

That's a nice one. Maybe not in the old style, but some kind of a more regular transfer update (maybe even one you can subscribe to and unsubscribe from) would be nice. Staying updated is quite some hassle when only getting news on some transfers and all in single news items or just via the big and huge transfers section.

Would be of much more use than the national transfer period update twice a year which contains pretty close to no information.

1. Squad view how it was last year so you can see all the players in your 1st team at the same time

2. On a previous FM or CM you could click on your club chairman to see what sort of personality/character he had - they should defo bring that back.

Ah quality nice one mate - nothing quite like a printed fixture list of the season in Lucidia Console or whatever that font is called :D

They were simpler times.. happier times..

Only a couple of things I want back really:

-Fights!!! - I found absolutely hilarious to watch a load of dots run around in a massive circle and then a bunch of red cards get thrown out... it was brilliant. :D

-2nd XI in assintant reports - Don't think it should replace the youth one as its nice to have that aswell.

-Suspected Injuries in matches - I can't remeber when it was but you used to be able to see on a players profile during a match that he had 'a suspected knee injury' etc, Never understood why they took this out.

Archived