English hero - Chairmen keeps selling my players

Anyone else had this?

I've been grinding out season after season with AFC Telford in a bid to acquire the achievement 'English Hero'.

I've hit a wall though. My chairmen has been giving me around a £2m transfer budget on a consistent basis now but the problem I'm having is that I have to invest it into young players due to my clubs reputation not being high enough to attract established players.

Once I develop a player, a club will come in and usually offer around 2.2x his value and my chairmen will accept the bid and he will leave. Regardless of signing a new contract or personal loyalties to me and the club, he will leave. Due to this I can't get out the Championship. I was certain I'd do it this season. I managed to get through the summer transfer window while only losing a promising striker I had just start to play because someone bid a whopping £325k for him.

I get to January, I'm sitting 3rd having won 10 games on the bounce. Transfer window opens and the rumours start. I check my finances and we're OK. We're £1m in the black and the club has no bank loans nor chairman loans so I guess we have no debt. Then the bids start coming in and my **** of a chairman starts accepting them again. 40 games in, I'm 6th. 7th and 9th have two games in hand on me. I've tried to replace the players but as I've said, even though I'm in the Championship, nobody wants to come to AFC Telford. So I'm restricted to buying young again and hoping they turn into worldies. However, when they start to develop, my chairman is going to sell them.

Is there anything I can do? I've never hated a fictional chairman as much as I hate Lee Carter (my chairman). Every time a transfer window rolls around I know he can't wait to start selling my favourite players. I've gotten AFC to the Championship and won some silverware with them so I know the fans have my back. Is there anyway I could lead a rebellion against him? If this is not possible I'd take burning down his house or something.

Lee Carter, I hate you.

Set asking prices for your players to put any bidders off.

You say you sold a striker for £325k, if you had set an asking price of £10m+ it would have put off a lot of potential bidders and even when a bid did come in it would be for good money.

Cheers, lads.

I'm a campaigned FM'er so I feel pretty embarrassed to say I haven't employed any asking price tactics yet.

I've just checked over my transfer history and worked out that my chairman has sold 14 players against my will. I'm going to try the setting their asking price to zero trick and hope it works.

Yeah like those said, asking price of £0 and reject all offers is a way to do it, and it should work pretty much 100% of the time, the only problem with it in my eyes is that's it's practically cheating and exploiting the AI. I don't quite approve of it, so I instead just set high asking prices, you do sometimes still get the odd offer, but usually they're higher than 325k at least :p

Also, end of the season is the best time for a low-rep team to bring in good players. Wait until clubs have released players, and then the players that get released will be a *lot* more willing to talk to a low-rep club now they're not sitting in man utd's reserve team all cosy-like. Of course, if your chairman interferes they could still sell them mid-season, but you can get some fantastic players on a free.

I feel for you a bit, my chairman at Truro has a habit of accepting some bids, nothing nearly as bad as you though.

• 3 weeks later...

So I finally got this achievement via the playoffs:

kseFf.jpg

Go AFC Telford. However this is what my information looks like:

GDrC2.jpg

That scumbag Lee Carter is slowly erasing me from the club history and making himself look like the ****ing hero.

Something fishy is going on at my club and I don't like it. Does anyone have Scooby Doo and the gang's number?

My chairman was doing that too, so I went and set the asking prices of all my top players to £100m. Puts off potential bidders. Feels a bit like cheating, but it's better than having your chairman ruin any chance of progression by selling your best players for far less than they are worth.

You took them from the Conf to the Premier League and you are not even on their favoured persone? Some people are never pleased.

Conference North so 5 promotions and the Johnstones Paint Trophy.

However:

farnsworth.jpg

Good news, everyone.

Was just taken over and the new chairman has given me a transfer kitty on 27m in an attempt to avoid relegation.

Well done.

I've yet to get any of the HERO achievements despite taking a team from the Italian Serie C2 to Serie A. Not sure why but I might have to start it all over again, take control of a newly promoted team and let me squad continue on without me. Would like to do multiple hero achievements in one long career save but not sure if it is possible.

I too am using AFC Telford and just won the CL and i know what you mean about the chairman(Lee carter). The easiet way around this is setting the asking price on any player you wish to keep as high as possible. The annoying part about this chairman thing is you could have bought the player for 1.8M and the idiot still thinks a 1.5M offer is too good to turn down.

I read on here that if you set the asking price to £0 then you will have loads of offers for £0 and the chairman won't sell them for free so you are safe.

The downside to this is that if you get a big club coming calling for your player and offering £0 then you're going to have them unsettled when you reject the offer. You're better off setting it high and hoping that you can cash in on a ridiculous fee or it puts most sides off making a move.

Archived