FM2011 and SSD

FM keeps the database in memory after you've loaded your game, so unless your computer runs out of RAM and needs to use the swap file (located on your SSD) I wouldn't expect to see a significant performance difference outside of save/load/game-setup times when data is dumped/loaded to disk. I suppose skin assets are fetched from disk as well, but that's hardly a performance bottleneck. :)

That's directly relative to your database size (loaded leagues, players); on insane settings the game will eat insane amounts of RAM. :)

I'd say that a faster CPU will improve processing times the most, followed by your RAM (by some distance).

FM keeps the database in memory after you've loaded your game, so unless your computer runs out of RAM and needs to use the swap file (located on your SSD) I wouldn't expect to see a significant performance difference outside of save/load/game-setup times when data is dumped/loaded to disk. I suppose skin assets are fetched from disk as well, but that's hardly a performance bottleneck. :)

Skin assets are closer to random reads, which actually perform worse on an SSD.

The performance should be slightly better on an SSD due to page file caching and general performance improvements, but it will be marginal at best.

I agree that loading and saving games are likely to be the major improvements, since they are reading lots of (likely) contiguous data - the SSD's real power.

Hm, this is a bit of a tangent, but for the sake of correctness, I think you may be getting things mixed up. SSD's are at their strongest in random read as data can be accessed directly from any location, unlike "traditional" hard drives that need to move the heads and wait for the platters to rotate into position, resulting in significant random performance differences. Sequential performance was where we didn't see as big a difference for some time, but SSD's are well ahead for that as well these days.

Archived