Thoughts on FM11

I'm a bit late to FM this time around, and I haven't bought one since '09. The core game is still great, but I'm a bit staggered by the amount of actions you have to wade through just to progress your season - press conferences, player chats, team talks, match previews and manager interactions are all fairly interesting the first couple of times you do them. They do make the game really tedious after a while though, surely there's only so much realism we can have before people need to be paid a salary to play the game!

I ignore press conferences, most player chats, all team talks, match preview is just a few clicks and manager interactions can also be completely ignored.

I've had more fun with my current 11.3 game than I've had with any previous version.

These are all the daily chores of being a football manager. What were you expecting?

I know what you mean, but it's meant to be a game and these elements really take the fun out of it. I'm not after some kind of arcade / quick-fix experience, I just don't like going through all this stuff to progress the season along. It's like using the internet and having to close five pop-ups on every site you visit.

There are ways around having to do all of the above yourself.

Press conferences and team talks can all be dealt with via the assistant if need be.

Most of the others you have mentioned don't take too long really although they can become a bit tedious.

However in general this is what managers have to go through with press coverage, players unhappy, comments made by rival managers, etc so it is part and parcel of the game.

1. ignore all news items unless they're red, just tap the up arrow key to get through the rest

2. unsubscribe from every subscription you can

3. turn off the agent recommendation thing

I'm running a "fun stuff only" Zenit save now. No press conferences, minimal player interaction, ignore backroom advice, etc, and I'm enjoying the game about 10,000% more.

Playing properly, there's just endless "if this happens then do this". Click, click, click, click, click, click, click between games.

Am I missing something here?

Press conferences, team talks, player interaction, player interaction? These are all things that were in FM09 were they not?

Personally only press conferences are the thing I'm not keen on but then it only takes me 10-20 secs to go through it so its hardly a chore.

Takes 5 seconds to fix press conferences:

Team Name > Team Settings > tick the Assistant attends Press Conferences button

Sorted.

The only ones you ever have to do are the new club conferences, and you can always storm out immediately.

I don't understand the OP. Why not just buy FIFA 11 and play that? Why would you buy a Football Manager simulator, but not want to do any of the manager aspects?

*slight puzzled look*

Why is that an argument over some valid points?

Why do you use a toilet, nature is just as good, the only thing is, you don't wanna step in ya own crap, and that is the point with the OP.

for me the fm series has just become too much bother. used to love these games, but last years and this years are just too much bother for me, bugs patch's etc. have not begun a second season since 06 or 07. anytime i get into a game either a bug becomes clear or a patch is released or a hot fix or a crash dump.

unfortunatly this will be my last purchase of this game. maybe im just too old for it now, im 27 so i suppose i really should crack on with more important things. anyway, end of an era, cm/fm ill never forget u. xx

I am letting the Asst. do most of things for me esp. the oppo. tactics. Rest I take care of the player talk, team talk(asst. do the general talk, i specific), inbox. Rest is for asst. However from june to august I keep everything to me. Asst. is useless to me during that period except for filtering players.

I've always played FM the same way - as fast as possible!

Have Ass Man do the press conferences - unsubscribe from most news items - hardly do player chats or media chats unless really bothered - even play the matches by watching commentary only and at full speed. Can get through a season pretty quickly and I like to have long saves so this is belter.

The thing I take most time about is scouting for new players - that can go on forever if I'm on a budget.

There's definitely more to do on FM 11 - but there's many options to deselect them in a way. No worries.

For me, Fm11 is the best since 07. I've not got proper into a save since 07 but I've had a couple of great ones on Fm11.

As people have said previously, FM is what you make it. If you don't like the press conferences, don't do them. There are many different types of managers IRL. Redknapp and Wenger couldn't be more different but both have been pretty successful.

For me, FM11.3 is the worst in over a decade. The game is just too much based on Team Talks and the players are just too fragile (both in mind and body) for me to love it, like I have loved most of the earlier versions.

The disappointment of very few improvements being made to the third and final patch, and some things downright being worse than 11.2 sort of broke it for me. I don't like the direction the ME is going.

The thing is that my staff isn't giving me enough information or help to weigh-up for the more and more complex gameplay. Every thing that can affect the performances of players and the nature of tactics contributes to making it less obvious what needs to be done to fix a problem or improve something. If you lose, what is the reason? Before, it was the tactic. Now, there are millions of variables, and the "assistant feedback" is as useless as ever to determine what is wrong.

The result of this is that some of my friends (luckily not me as I found a working tactic almost immediately) have experienced only losses in their attempt to create new tactics. You make a tactic that you think suits your team, and the friendlies goes fine but once there is a match that counts, I have watched them being run over so completely that the only conclusion was that there was no hope to ever make the tactic work. This was TC as well, so I wonder - why? What factor would improve the tactic - how could you win? How long would you take being ****ed upon by any opponent before giving up?

FM veterans shouldn't experience this. SI simply needs to make the assistant's advice better. They need to do this in such a way that the human manager get an amount of variables which he or she can handle. One such thing is better control over what the assistant say in press conferences, or eventually more information about the assistant's way of handling the press. One word simply won't cut it!

for me the fm series has just become too much bother. used to love these games, but last years and this years are just too much bother for me, bugs patch's etc. have not begun a second season since 06 or 07. anytime i get into a game either a bug becomes clear or a patch is released or a hot fix or a crash dump.

unfortunatly this will be my last purchase of this game. maybe im just too old for it now, im 27 so i suppose i really should crack on with more important things. anyway, end of an era, cm/fm ill never forget u. xx

I've been there before...

Approx from CM01-02 to FM2007 I just had the hardest time in getting into the game... One/two seasons tops, then boredom kicked in and I couldn't be bothered to progress.

Then for no apparent reason, FM2008 was the first step of my comeback, and by FM2009 I was again able to last at least 5-6 seasons. Nowadays my "main" save usually spans over 10-15 seasons as long as I find a reason to go for "one more season".

I don't really know what changed... actually most parts of the game still feel like a monstruous chore and there are plenty of irritating bits, issues and bugs, but I guess I just learnt how to live with them.

Don't stop trying.. if you loved CM/FM, you'll come back...

It's not the end of an era, it's just a hiatus before the inevitable reunion :D

I love all the extra little bits... I love seeing how they affect the teams and players performances. I enjoy learning how to motivate my players and how to get them to do what I want them to do. I love the feeling of winning 2-0 away from home against second in the table when the odds gave us no hope because I did the right things...

The more immersed in the game that you allow yourself to become, the more enjoyment you will extract from it...

You get out exactly what you put in... ;)

Archived