Homegrown rule

How crap is the homegrown players rule for Europe, when I have 6 Italians at Fiorentina who are classed as foreign, as a side point 2 of my home grown players are French and Senegalese, makes a mockery of the rule, and because Im the Italian coach, all those players are internationals

Home grown relates to how long a player has been with your club, how long they have played in your country etc, they don't necessarily have to be foreign e.g. a 21 year old Italian youth product would be home grown, whilst your 21 year old summer signing might not. It's aimed at supporting youth development.

Or...if a 16 year old Italian is snatched up by Manchester United, is at the United till he is 22 but doesn't quite make the grade and is sold back to an Italian club he will be classed as Foreign.

Whereas if an Italian club snatches up a 16 year old Senegalese lad and is at the club till he is 22, he will be classed as Italian and home grown!

Or...if a 16 year old Italian is snatched up by Manchester United, is at the United till he is 22 but doesn't quite make the grade and is sold back to an Italian club he will be classed as Foreign.

Whereas if an Italian club snatches up a 16 year old Senegalese lad and is at the club till he is 22, he will be classed as Italian and home grown!

Is this right?

I agree on the Senegalese lad, but the Italian would be homegrown.

Febregas qualifies to be used as a homegrown player in Spain AND in the UK.

Yes, the homegrown rules are not really about nationality, but are there to encourage teams to develop their own players through their youth systems. Of course in reality what happens is the big clubs snatch all the talent up when they are 16-17 (or even younger) so they can qualify as home-grown for the club.

Ah, yes, of course a player needs to be at a club to be 'home grown club'.

But I am talking about a player being 'home grown nation'.

If you are born there, you qualify.

OP - are you talking about European squads then?

For European competitions to class as homegrown you need to have been in the country (or at the club for club grown) for three seasons/years between the ages of 15 and 21.

Hence an Italian regen who comes into the game at 15 and signs for an english team at 17 and only returns to Italty at 21 will count as English Homegrown but not Italian Homegrown.

It won't change as basing it upon Nationality is illegal under EU rules.

Can I get some clarification on this based on a domestic league then?

I'm playing in the Championship in England. If I sign an English player who has played in Spain between the ages of 15 and 21 will he be classed as a 'homegrown' player because he's English or not?

Can I get some clarification on this based on a domestic league then?

I'm playing in the Championship in England. If I sign an English player who has played in Spain between the ages of 15 and 21 will he be classed as a 'homegrown' player because he's English or not?

no he wont be classed as home grown in england, he will in spain.

Archived