Intel i5 vs i7 and SSD

I'm close to being ready to upgrade my current PC, going for a Sandy Bridge i5 based setup with Windows on a SSD, i have a couple of questions regarding these and Football Manager.

Firstly, are there big performance gains to be had playing football manager between the Intel i5 2500k CPU and its i7 equiverlent?

and my other question is regarding installing and playing FM on a SSD. Are there big performance gains? I know windows will boot in around 15 seconds but wondering what gains FM will have vs a normal spinpoint harddrive.

there will be gains for the SSD as its like a giant flashdrive the SSD allows most things to be read quite rapidly with it

as for the i7 i dotn have any problems with mine i dont have slow down when further in the game and processis quick at all times.

The i5 will fly as will the i7, my question really is does FM use the advanced tech in the i7 to give big performance gains. Guess it will be hard to tell unless someone had used both, maybe someone at SI knows?

At the moment im set on the i5 200k (overlocked) but if FM works wonders on the i7 then i could change..

Settle for the i5 200K believe me it is fast enough.

With the i7 you might gain a few seconds/ a minute or two to complete a season, but that's its.

Having a Quadcore will allow you to litterally run several games at the same time. (ie Crysis2+ fm2001+ web)

To be honest the i5-2500K will probably be quick enough. i7-2600K with SSD is overkill (which is what I am getting :D). The best bit about the SSD would probably be the amount of time saved reading and writing your saves, though.

The i5 will fly as will the i7, my question really is does FM use the advanced tech in the i7 to give big performance gains. Guess it will be hard to tell unless someone had used both, maybe someone at SI knows?

At the moment im set on the i5 200k (overlocked) but if FM works wonders on the i7 then i could change..

There isn't going to be a huge gain on the i7-2600K, certainly not value for money gains, anyway. You need a lot of threading to see gains, and FM isn't one of those applications.

The i5-2500K is a ridiculously-priced processor and I wonder whether some guy in the Intel pricing department entered some wrong figures - it's an amazing processor.

Archived