Unhappy Player

This player is my captain first and foremost, my second captain in 2 years who's unhappy. He feels he's achieved all he can at the club. He wants a new challenge and has been promised that the club's standings will be improved??? I'm top of the league and just won the treble last year (Premier League, Championsleague and League Cup). I'm the top club in the European standings and the second wealthiest club overall. How do I keep hold of my captain? The first time it happened, my captain was about to turn 30 so I sold him to Real Madrid for about 30 million pounds. This guy is 26 so I want to keep him around for a little while. Any suggestions?

You're under no obligation to sell him and from past experience the player being unhappy doesn't affect their performances and may well just be a short term strop. On 09 my keeper at Udinese was in the same position as your captain, I was prepared to let his contract run down and let him be unhappy, but eventually he came to his senses and 6 months later signed a new deal.

I get this every season with one of my first teamers (sometimes two or three of them).

I just let them go for a slightly inflated price and move the next in line from my youth team into their place.

I've found that players with your club as their favoured club will not get unhappy for these reasons.

To AjaxNo1, he's an English player so no he's not foreign as I'm playing with Chelsea. Every season it seems like 2 or 3 first teamers experience this feeling. I don't mind letting players go but he's only 27 and is English from my youth squad. Interesting that his top 4 favorite clubs are the clubs that he was loaned out to in his first 4 seasons. Now he's played more games for Chelsea than all the other teams put together but we're not even in the top 4.

How long does he have left on his contract? If he's got a while, I'd certainly keep him and hope that he gets over it, they usually do. I had this problem at Chelsea as well, with McEachran actually, but he got over it after a while. Keep plugging away and if the success keep coming then he should become happy again after a little while

Well my first resort was to give him a new contract...which I did and he signed and that cured everything until the end of the season. I told him he was a big part of my plans for the club and he was satisfied, albeit temporarily I suspect.

Archived