Am I just plain stupid or was it an ok decision?

I am managing Luton (not because I specifik love Luton but because I like taking a low ranged club to top).

I finished 1st in BSP, 1st in 2nd div and now 1st in 1st div.

This season I also won the LC,the JPT and in the FA cup final against Blackburn.

2 days before the final I'm aproached by Man U offering me the job with 10x my salary, 100x my transferbudget and 10x salarybudget.

Off course I turned them down and went on and won the FA-cup 4-1.

NOW was I wrong or what do you think?

That is unbelievable.

If you can achieve all that, then there is no way you should leave for Man U. Stick with Luton in the Championship, win the Community Shield, EURO Cup and get in the Premier League. Then win the Super Cup and Premier League. Then win the ECC and then the CWC. Then quit Luton for a team in the BSN/BSS and do it all over again. Simples.

I've just taken Woking from the BSS to League 1 in 3 seasons. Two of the promotions were as champions.

This is my first ever game of FM, any version of it. I don't know about any of the editing tools or what have you, I just play the game as it comes. I see plenty of people doing the same thing in the Career forum, so I don't think any cheating has to be involved.

Where I do think there might be a problem is that players who have been released from Premiership and Championship clubs are willing to play on a pittance for teams who are one or two leagues below where they ought to be according to their reputation. Luton is such a club.

So you can quite easily assemble a team that will have you shooting up the leagues (especially if you don't limit your player searches to realistic options). Winning both Cups, that's another story.

Of course, it depends on what your goals are. Judging by how well your doing id say it wont be long till your better than man utd anyway. I recently got offered the Real Madrid job whiles managing Redditch in the championship after 10 seasons. they offered my 50000 a week compared to the 1k per week I get at Redditch, but for me its not about the money its about the glory. Oddly when the spurs job became available later on, I applied for it and never got offered it!

Of course, it depends on what your goals are. Judging by how well your doing id say it wont be long till your better than man utd anyway. I recently got offered the Real Madrid job whiles managing Redditch in the championship after 10 seasons. they offered my 50000 a week compared to the 1k per week I get at Redditch, but for me its not about the money its about the glory. Oddly when the spurs job became available later on, I applied for it and never got offered it!

It would be silly if you took the job for the money, what with it not being real and all.

Personally I would stay with your current club, you have only done half the work so far, I would only leave the club if you won back to back EPL Titles and a champions league title. So keep at it for a few more seasons.

Can readers of this thread now understand why so many people are crying out for manager wages to actually mean something?

It's very difficult to increment and I wouldn't know where to start - but it's a thought, because people like this game for it's realism and in reality, a manager would not turn down a job offer for 10x their salary, 100x their transferbudget and 10x their salarybudget. Just wouldn't happen!

Can readers of this thread now understand why so many people are crying out for manager wages to actually mean something?

It's very difficult to increment and I wouldn't know where to start - but it's a thought, because people like this game for it's realism and in reality, a manager would not turn down a job offer for 10x their salary, 100x their transferbudget and 10x their salarybudget. Just wouldn't happen!

But the point of FM is to have fun, so who cares? If I'm happy at the club and enjoying building up a team, then I'm going to stay there, simply because it's a game and that's what I find fun.

So no, I couldn't give a monkeys banana about doing stuff with my wages. If I want to play that kind of game, I can start up the sims instead.

That's not true, though. With the extra money and transfer budget comes extra pressure, and not every manager will want to deal with the pressure of being the Manchester United boss (especially if you have no experience at or around that level). You might take the job, but after only a few bad results the fans will be calling for you to be sacked...whereas, at Luton, you can stay a lot longer because the fans love you for the work you've done.

For instance, look at Liverpool/Hodgson this year; I think that, in retrospect, Hodgson probably wishes he'd just stayed at Fulham.

Manager wages do mean something, the higher the wage the less likely you are to be sacked due to compensation and obviously the levels of wage is relevant to the club i.e. big money at Man Utd might not be big money to them so a run of poor results might see you get the chop, 10x less at Luton might be massive money to them and you could live a life without stress as they are unlikely to sack you unless you fail dramatically.

I would like wages to mean something, even if its just to display a stat representing the amount of career earnings you have made.

Maybe if the OP wants to do something with his wages, when getting the increased salary at Man U, he can give a cut to Mr Hough, who provided him with the tactics for his success lol

The OP said nothing about wanting to do something with his wages.

Archived