Getting transfer budget in pre-season- Can we have it earlier please?

End of season- I want to conduct the swift transfer of a much sought after player, pushing through a deal so my rivals don't get in there first. But wait, I don't have any money! Instead i have to wait until the 25th June to get my transfer budget, and all my targets have been nabbed by other teams. Other teams, who don't have to wait 4 weeks to be given any money.

This is extremely debilitating, and also not reflective of how budgets really work in life. If my club is rich, i should be able to come to an agreement with the board to release funds post season. Of course not every club has this privilege, but i'm sure Liverpool, Tottenham, and many others do. The way it is now, i have to wait until 1 weeks before pre-season starts before going for players. Getting said players is another matter, but all i want is to have the funds to complete a deal early on in the summer. This is not a case of the board saying 'Sell before you buy', it's just a piece of programming that doesn't seem right to me. Instead we can have a convo with the board post season, talk about aims and transfer policy, and agree upon money. They can either give me a set budget, tell me i have to sell before i buy, or postpone the decision on the budget, all depending on club status, manager status and other variables.

Does anyone agree?

all my targets have been nabbed by other teams. Other teams, who don't have to wait 4 weeks to be given any money.

Are you sure that these teams are not just spending money that was left over from their current budget? Or are they foreign clubs?

You could always try asking the board for more transfer funds, if the finances are good they may well let you have them.

Are you sure that these teams are not just spending money that was left over from their current budget? Or are they foreign clubs?

You could always try asking the board for more transfer funds, if the finances are good they may well let you have them.

Regarding your first point, i can't be sure. But clubs seem to spend big in january, and then again from early june, whether they are foreign or english.

My finances are great, but i can't even talk to the board about more money. I always have to sell to raise money.

My finances are great, but i can't even talk to the board about more money. I always have to sell to raise money.

That sounds like bad luck then, I've been pretty lucky at my club with negotiating extra transfer money.

What about asking for more money for wages? If you switch your budget completely on wages and then extend the wage budget, you can switch it back to transfer funds and extend the budget that way.

Still no option, all greyed out. I thought it might have to do with the fact that i started the new save in jan 2011(Russia), and had the transfer window switched off. But even when i manage spurs from the start of season, i get a january budget, and then nothing till june 25th. I just want this budget bought forward.

In real-life the next season's budgets would be set with season-ticket prices (as the two are linked) and they are usually set as soon as the club knows which league they will be playing in the next season, which continental competitions they might be involved in, etc. I'm pretty sure that, for the most part, the budgets for next season could be set (and made available) in May.

It is also something that has long since bugged me... in RL a manager is able to start strengthening his squad as soon as possible, in FM it's 25th June... sort it out SI!

I'm sure there is a good reason for it, but it does raise a good point about the timing of the league reset dates. I wonder why the date for the English league is at the end of June, a whole month after the last games of the season?

Archived