Retraining Wonderkid

Ok i have a guy natural MR and AMR, wonderkid and a gem, i have been training him to play AMC and after one year accomplished. Can i now start using training him as MC as well, will i lose this AMC ability. I ran a holiday game and this seems to be the case, any way around it???

One he is trained in a position he should not lose it, I've never noticed that whilst playing the game anyway!

Depends on one of his hidden abilities, adaptability I think. At high levels new positions erode slowly but at low levels they can be lost quickly if he isn't playing there or training that position constantly.

@OP

Retraining him as a MC will limit his growth a little overall as more attributes will be heavily weighted taking up more CA points.

The distribution of positions for players in FM, particulary Newgens, has always been a big issue for me.

Newgens seem to only be created with 'Natural' or 'Accomplished' positions. Never 'Competent'.

In FM10 I had the best Newgen ive come across, incredibly talented in all areas. He was 'natural' as AMR. That was it. According to the game he was as 'ineffectual' playing MR or AMC as he was DC. Something not right there.

i just retrain all my starting 11 all over the place, once they hit accomplished, I retrain them in another position, not once have I seen any of the retrained positions decease in colour. for example a dc i would retrain him in dmc then mc then amc then striker. always works for me

The distribution of positions for players in FM, particulary Newgens, has always been a big issue for me.

Newgens seem to only be created with 'Natural' or 'Accomplished' positions. Never 'Competent'.

In FM10 I had the best Newgen ive come across, incredibly talented in all areas. He was 'natural' as AMR. That was it. According to the game he was as 'ineffectual' playing MR or AMC as he was DC. Something not right there.

Yeah, I almost think they should abolish position ratings. Why does it matter?

I mean, if you are good at passing, you are good at passing. Only a few mental stats should be effected by being played out of position.

There should be some sort of penalty for being played out of position, but I think it should be relatively mild, and quickly rectified, and only affecting said few mental stats. It should also scale depending on how far out of position they are. For a 2 footed player, Left Wing and Right wing is the same, so is Left and Right back.

The game also doesn't distinguish between Anchor Man and Deep Lying playmaker, which are very different roles, but use the same DM, position stat. That actually makes the whole system a bit of a joke.

I mean, if you are good at passing, you are good at passing. Only a few mental stats should be effected by being played out of position.

There should be some sort of penalty for being played out of position, but I think it should be relatively mild, and quickly rectified, and only affecting said few mental stats. It should also scale depending on how far out of position they are. For a 2 footed player, Left Wing and Right wing is the same, so is Left and Right back.

The game also doesn't distinguish between Anchor Man and Deep Lying playmaker, which are very different roles, but use the same DM, position stat. That actually makes the whole system a bit of a joke.

Take a centerback and a target man striker. Quite often they need the same things, physical strength, a bit of pace, acceleration, height, jumping, heading ability, jumping, composure. Secondary stats like passing are useful to both. One likes tackling, while the other likes finishing, and one likes off the ball while the other positioning. Other than that they are the same statwise.

However stick John Terry up front. He may do as an outlet if 1-0 down in a cup final, but generally he's going to suck. While he has the stats, he doesn't instinctively do the right things for that position. His decisions, positioning, off the ball and anticipation are all out of whack as he's playing in the wrong part of the field. That's what positions control.

I get all that. So are you telling me that being played out of position only affects the stats you mentioned?

Also, as I said, for a 2 footed player, MR and ML are exactly the same. But on the game it is not.

Also, as I said, Pirlo and Cattermole, are totally different players that use and need different "decisions, positioning, off the ball and anticipation ". However on the game, they are both DMs and it is all the same.

The system needs a big rethink.

I get all that. So are you telling me that being played out of position only affects the stats you mentioned?

Also, as I said, for a 2 footed player, MR and ML are exactly the same. But on the game it is not.

Also, as I said, Pirlo and Cattermole, are totally different players that use and need different "decisions, positioning, off the ball and anticipation ". However on the game, they are both DMs and it is all the same.

The system needs a big rethink.

They really aren't and any player who has played at any level of football can tell you that.

Personally I played at DL for most of the time I played amateur football moving to DM as I got older. I also played occasionally at ML but to play on the opposite side of the pitch is really difficult initially and takes a lot of getting used to.

Its fair to say players who have played on both sides regularly from a young age won't have the same problems but even then they still tend to have a preference for one side and will play slightly differently on opposite sides.

In fact this can even be applied to the likes of DCs & MCs which isn't included in FM. For example I remember an article last year that interviewed John Terry where he stated playing at DCR rather than DCL (his normal position) was really difficult for him to get used to and he felt uncomfortable on the occasions he was asked to play it.

They really aren't and any player who has played at any level of football can tell you that.

Personally I played at DL for most of the time I played amateur football moving to DM as I got older. I also played occasionally at ML but to play on the opposite side of the pitch is really difficult initially and takes a lot of getting used to.

Its fair to say players who have played on both sides regularly from a young age won't have the same problems but even then they still tend to have a preference for one side and will play slightly differently on opposite sides.

In fact this can even be applied to the likes of DCs & MCs which isn't included in FM. For example I remember an article last year that interviewed John Terry where he stated playing at DCR rather than DCL (his normal position) was really difficult for him to get used to and he felt uncomfortable on the occasions he was asked to play it.

I clearly said "for a 2 footed player".

You're not 2 footed, and neither is JohN Terry.

I clearly said "for a 2 footed player".

You're not 2 footed, and neither is JohN Terry.

Who said I wasn't a two footed player?

I always preferred my left but I did play passes with both feet.

Aside from that though your preferred foot has nothing to do with my point, had you played any level of football you would already know this.

Its about your position on the pitch, for me having the touchline on my left having the DCs on my right, most of the play being to the right of me. Swopping to the opposite side might sound easy but quite simply it isn't initially.

Oh right.

So when they hit 'Natural' can I take them off positional training, and they'll retain Natural status. (or at least as long as I keep playing them there?)

Nope, I've seen several times a player loosing his Natural status almost immediately after taking them off positional training (maybe it's a good idea to keep them on positional training for months after?). And the really stupid part about this is the player needs the positional training for another year to get Natural again... So your best bet is to have a highly adaptable player. You can get an idea about this to see how quickly he adapts to the new position.

No one has given any reason yet. You say its different but you dont give a reason.

If you are equally good on both feet, the left and right wing, is exactly the same. You positions and runs you take up are exactly the same.

Please tell me something that is different?

No one has given any reason yet. You say its different but you dont give a reason.

If you are equally good on both feet, the left and right wing, is exactly the same. You positions and runs you take up are exactly the same.

Please tell me something that is different?

Urm, I did give you a reason.

Seriously, have you ever played competitive football?

Positioning - In your natural position you have a sixth sense as to where you are, where the touchline is, where your DCs are and where the threat is coming from. Switching flank you lose that sense, you need to keep checking your position, you feel uncomfortable due to everything being a mirror image - touchline on right DCs on left, showing wingers to the right rather than the left.

Going forward when you overlap you are used to looking to your right for the ball and again switching flanks you have to start looking to your left - If you drive this is similar to driving in a foreign country where they use the opposite side of the road.

Basically I agree with you Cougar2010.. However you should consider that your example assumes that the player will play in the same manner on both flanks. I've tried playing both left and right side and I'm purely right-footed. When being on right side I play like a normal winger, but when I'm on left side I tend to play more like a inside-forward as I'm not comfortable enough to play winger on left side. So basically you,re right, but a little bit off still IMO.

Any player with an IQ over 50 is able to play on both sides of the pitch.. just have to adapt and change your style of play.

I'm pretty sure it works much as you want it to with Decisions, Anticipation, Off the ball, Creativity and Positioning being reduced for players out of position but the physical and technical attributes being untouched.

Anchor man and Deep lying playmaker are playing in the same position though. It's just what they are asked to do in it thats different which is handled by the sliders.

Archived