Consistency. Does anyone know how it is implemented?

I know the actual stats of the player, on the day, are randomly decided before each game. On average, every player will play at their normal Current Ability(CA) level. So consistency relates to how much the random element affects them. So what I want to know is how this random bit woks. Is it for player with 150 CA;

1) A highly consistent player might always between the range of 145-155. Whereas an inconsistent player can be between 130-170. So inconsistency can actually be good in that if you get lucky it makes the player even better than normal. Although obviously it can mean awful performances too.

or

2) A highly consistenct player is between 145-150. And a highly inconsistent is between 130-150. Meaning it is always much better to have consistency as they are just more likely to be playing at their best. Inconsistent players are in reality just rubbish players because on average they are going to be playing poorly on any given day

Anyone know which system is used on the game?

Personally I do not think you can relate CA to consistency people put way too much emphasis on CA it is not the be all and end all of how a player performs.

Let's not get bogged down in the details. I used it as its the easiest approximation of how good a player is. It might not necessarily affect the CA. But it definitely affects the stats and is randomly decied before each game.

Okay, if we follow your logic with a player whose CA is 150, my guess is that if his Consistency is 20, he will always play to his 150 CA - not above that (except for the little boost he might get from Match Prep). if his Consistency is 1 he might play at, I dunno, say CA 75 for some matches, but not over his maximum CA (except as mentioned above).

I have a very young squad (mostly 15-18 year olds in my first team squad), many of whom appear to have very low consistency attributes. Those players I would say put in a stinker of a performance every 3 or 4 games.

Actually consistency works in this way, in your example a player CA 150, if his consistency is 20, then he will have 20 out of 20 games played with CA 150, if it's 19, then 19 out of 20 games played with CA 150, and so forth, get it?

It works this way? Definitely? Can you back this up with any quotes from SI?

Actually consistency works in this way, in your example a player CA 150, if his consistency is 20, then he will have 20 out of 20 games played with CA 150, if it's 19, then 19 out of 20 games played with CA 150, and so forth, get it?

In the games where he isn't playing at his CA, is he always playing below it, and never above it?

I have a very young squad (mostly 15-18 year olds in my first team squad), many of whom appear to have very low consistency attributes. Those players I would say put in a stinker of a performance every 3 or 4 games.
I can second that. At the moment I'm managing my reserve squad and most players put in a bad performance quite regularly because they have low consistency.

CA isn't used in the match engine at all, just attributes. My understanding of the way it works is that attributes are modified (in the match engine), based on a players form, condition etc, so a player with workrate 18, but condition 70% might effectively have a workrate of 14. I would guess that consistency and important matches work in a similar way - players attributes get randomly reduced, depending on their consistency and important matches (plus the importance of the match they are playing in). So a player with finishing 20, but consistency 1 will maybe play matches with an effective finishing of anything between 10 and 20, but a player with consistency 20 will play almost all matches with an effective finishing of 20.

There are some players with low consitency stat who still put in lots of good perfromances in the season. I think (and I'm guessing here), it works like this - players with a low stat for consistency are less predicatable. Sometimes they will put in a performance about their stats, sometimes below. Players with high consistency are predicatable, they will never excell much above their stats, but will not go much below them.

Think of CA as of a "Overall Attribute" for the players, a weighed average of all the specific attributes... so when we say "he plays at his 150CA" we mean "he uses all his attributes at their current face value".

So if a player has 18 Passing and 10 Consistency, that means his passing will be at "level 18" in 10 games (out of 25), and in the remaining 15 games his passing will be reduced to a lower standard.

If I'm not mistaken, just physical and technical skills are influenced by Consistency.

To answer to the OP, it's always better having a "low-end" consistent performer than an high-end inconsistent one... A consistent "140CA" player will always perform around that level, while a highly inconsistent "160CA" will just have a couple of good games, while the rest will be barely as good as the "140CA" guy, but probably more difficult to work with.

Also, CA goes only DOWN, so a 140CA will perform, at best, as 140. Not 141, not 160...

Think of CA as of a "Overall Attribute" for the players, a weighed average of all the specific attributes... so when we say "he plays at his 150CA" we mean "he uses all his attributes at their current face value".

So if a player has 18 Passing and 10 Consistency, that means his passing will be at "level 18" in 10 games (out of 25), and in the remaining 15 games his passing will be reduced to a lower standard.

If I'm not mistaken, just physical and technical skills are influenced by Consistency.

To answer to the OP, it's always better having a "low-end" consistent performer than an high-end inconsistent one... A consistent "140CA" player will always perform around that level, while a highly inconsistent "160CA" will just have a couple of good games, while the rest will be barely as good as the "140CA" guy, but probably more difficult to work with.

Also, CA goes only DOWN, so a 140CA will perform, at best, as 140. Not 141, not 160...

Thanks for such excellent clarification. I made a mistake of saying 20 games instead of 25 games. Yea, the correct one is 25 games in total. And for those who asked about when a player doesn't play at his CA(low consistency), then he will perform below his CA and never above it!

Consistancy 20 means 10 out of games 10 games he plays to his 100% potenital? What about morale? Usually my lower morale players have mares.

I guess you need the editor to see this info anyway, although your coaches should tell you that info even if the stat is hidden..

Consistancy 20 means 10 out of games 10 games he plays to his 100% potenital? What about morale? Usually my lower morale players have mares.

Let's clarify here. You don't mean potential as in PA; you mean his full CA. Kind of yes, but then you need to add in all the other variables such as morale, condition etc.

The fella saying CONSIS 20 = 20/20 CA, CONSIS 19 = 19/20 CA etc is being way too simplistic; the algorithm will be far more complex than that. All we can say is that generally, the lower the CONSIS, the more off-days the player will have.

Archived