What do you do when you're 3-0 down?

Change formation to have at least one extra striker and shift as many players forward, so any CM's who can play at AM move to AM, balance is thrown out the window, sub off the three worst players and tell all the subs coming on the team talk "You Have Faith" and go to Overload. I always get at least 1 back with this but rarely complete the turnaround. In this situation I also play Metallica - Master of Puppets in hope that my players do what I actually ask of them and not what they did to go 3-0 down

Do a Scotty Parker, rally the troops, make em cry like they did the first time they saw the horse die in Never Ending Story (showing my age).....................then when they are jibbering wrecks get their backs back up like rods of iron, fist pump, and say we are rubbish, we know we are, but lets be rubbish together!!!!

If you are on a winning streak and your players have excellent morale, give them the hairdryer treatment

If you lost the previous match, or the players have okay or lower morale, boost their morale with you have faith, prove a point or expect better

Nervous players, if they are seniors, could receive less pressure team talks such as you can win this or none - but not no pressure.

Complacent players should be told they were disappointing or other "harsh" team talks.

If things doesn't improve, substitute the nervous or complacent or out-of-confidence players

---

Changing stuff in your existing tactic is imho the wrong way to go. You have no way of knowing whether the change will work or make things even worse - and 3-0 against may seem like you are outplayed but you may actually be countered to pieces (check your possession %) and the correct choice would be to defend deeper! Instead of doing random changes to your tactic, develop a more aggressive tactic and a more defensive tactic than your current one and test them to make sure they actually work! That way, if you are outplayed by an opponent you have options that you know can work rather than trying desperate measures based on incomplete information.

I also have a kitchen sink 3-4-3 tactic which I always have as a trained alternative on the Match Prep screen. Unleash the fury and then kick them out at attacking.

If we're dominating then keep things going or go to Overload. If we conceed again tell them to chill out and hope the game ends as quick as possible.

Depends. If I have another game a in a few days I give up and slow it down to preserve my players' fitness for a game they actually could win. If I've got another week till the next game I give it a crack and go all out attack.

I'd be interested to see if anybody has ever come back from 3-0 down at half time to win. I'm not sure its possible with the ingame morale mechanics.

I'd be interested to see if anybody has ever come back from 3-0 down at half time to win. I'm not sure its possible with the ingame morale mechanics.

I have come back from 2-0 many times, but 3-0? I am unsure if I have won with 4-3 at all...

I don't wait till I am 3-0 down.

Alarm bells start ringing after the first one goes in. If I am getting bummed, I just put on an extra striker, get the defensive line up, get the tempo up and go for broke. Sometimes this means you overpower them and do OK, other times you get turned over.

If it is just an unlucky goal then I leave things and we tend to do alright. I'll give a hair dryer at half time and sub off any disgraces.

Equal to me? I don't choose any team talk (lower than me I'd pick 'We have to win this, no excuses' or the equivalent), let them sweat it out and sub off 2 of my worst performing players. Switch my shouts to something more offensive, then if it looks like we're making ground I'll completely switch out my tactic to something all out attack to try and even the score, saving the last sub for the worst performing attacking player at around the 70th minute.

If you are on a winning streak and your players have excellent morale, give them the hairdryer treatment

If you lost the previous match, or the players have okay or lower morale, boost their morale with you have faith, prove a point or expect better

Nervous players, if they are seniors, could receive less pressure team talks such as you can win this or none - but not no pressure.

Complacent players should be told they were disappointing or other "harsh" team talks.

If things doesn't improve, substitute the nervous or complacent or out-of-confidence players

---

Changing stuff in your existing tactic is imho the wrong way to go. You have no way of knowing whether the change will work or make things even worse - and 3-0 against may seem like you are outplayed but you may actually be countered to pieces (check your possession %) and the correct choice would be to defend deeper! Instead of doing random changes to your tactic, develop a more aggressive tactic and a more defensive tactic than your current one and test them to make sure they actually work! That way, if you are outplayed by an opponent you have options that you know can work rather than trying desperate measures based on incomplete information.

this is complete and utter tosh... every single word!

If "You have no way of knowing whether the change will work or make things even worse" then you're in the wrong game...

"Instead of doing random changes to your tactic, develop a more aggressive tactic and a more defensive tactic than your current one and test them to make sure they actually work!" - hell yeah, let's all blame the tactic when it's more likely the choice of personnel in the team, the weather conditions, player form/confidence/morale/condition or simply mistakes (or your team just aren't good enough).

I have... lots of times... honestly, no immediate screenshots to hand and too damn lazy to find any but I have.. however

In all fairness i dont think I've ever lost a game I was 3-0 up in either.

yeah, I have also lost from a 3-0 h-t lead... again no immediate screenshots to hand but I have no cause to lie after all..

I don't wait till I am 3-0 down.

Alarm bells start ringing after the first one goes in. <snip>

This is good (the rest was crap but this is good :) )

====

It would all depend on the game, home or away, who I was playing, who was under-performing and why, who was "up for it", pre-match expectations, etc, etc...

there is no magic formula to what to do in any given situation because every single one of them is different in some way... whilst the hair-drier might work for one person, it may cause another player's team to capitulate still further and lose humiliatingly...

you are the manager of your team. You know your players, their capabilities, their motivations, their reactions to pressure, media attention, transfer speculation, etc etc etc... if you don't... you're in the wrong game or new to the job.

I make my tactical decisions on what is actually happening on the pitch... if the opponent's pacy winger is beating my slow full-back at will and whipping in crosses then obviously I'm going to do something about it... hopefully before they score and certainly before it gets to 3-0 (if possible ;) )

I have, with the same team, used practically every option available within the team-talk feature with varying degrees of success but chosen specific to the game in question not as a general "I'm losing 3-0 therefore I must do X, Y or Z" type approach.

There really is no substitute for watching the whole 90 minutes as you can see where things are going wrong before they cost you a goal!

this is complete and utter tosh... every single word!

If "You have no way of knowing whether the change will work or make things even worse" then you're in the wrong game...

"Instead of doing random changes to your tactic, develop a more aggressive tactic and a more defensive tactic than your current one and test them to make sure they actually work!" - hell yeah, let's all blame the tactic when it's more likely the choice of personnel in the team, the weather conditions, player form/confidence/morale/condition or simply mistakes (or your team just aren't good enough).

I have... lots of times... honestly, no immediate screenshots to hand and too damn lazy to find any but I have.. however

yeah, I have also lost from a 3-0 h-t lead... again no immediate screenshots to hand but I have no cause to lie after all..

This is good (the rest was crap but this is good :) )

====

It would all depend on the game, home or away, who I was playing, who was under-performing and why, who was "up for it", pre-match expectations, etc, etc...

there is no magic formula to what to do in any given situation because every single one of them is different in some way... whilst the hair-drier might work for one person, it may cause another player's team to capitulate still further and lose humiliatingly...

you are the manager of your team. You know your players, their capabilities, their motivations, their reactions to pressure, media attention, transfer speculation, etc etc etc... if you don't... you're in the wrong game or new to the job.

I make my tactical decisions on what is actually happening on the pitch... if the opponent's pacy winger is beating my slow full-back at will and whipping in crosses then obviously I'm going to do something about it... hopefully before they score and certainly before it gets to 3-0 (if possible ;) )

I have, with the same team, used practically every option available within the team-talk feature with varying degrees of success but chosen specific to the game in question not as a general "I'm losing 3-0 therefore I must do X, Y or Z" type approach.

There really is no substitute for watching the whole 90 minutes as you can see where things are going wrong before they cost you a goal!

You are talking about information the OP didn't give us, then flaming those who replied based on the idea that they didn't take into account enough factors. Obviously, if you read my reply, the OP needs to know his players. You are assuming that I didn't know which is utter bollocks.

Your reply isn't helpful at all, since you don't actually give advice, but rather say useless ******** like "you need to know your team" - like if the OP didn't already know that or haven't tried stuff before posting.

You, sir, are one of the reasons people stop replying to posts in forum. A self-righteous forum troll, nothing else.

Your advice could be thought out by a 5-year old and is known by everyone bothered to post here.

You are talking about information the OP didn't give us, then flaming those who replied based on the idea that they didn't take into account enough factors. Obviously, if you read my reply, the OP needs to know his players. You are assuming that I didn't know which is utter bollocks.

Your reply isn't helpful at all, since you don't actually give advice, but rather say useless ******** like "you need to know your team" - like if the OP didn't already know that or haven't tried stuff before posting.

You, sir, are one of the reasons people stop replying to posts in forum. A self-righteous forum troll, nothing else.

Your advice could be thought out by a 5-year old and is known by everyone bothered to post here.

I beg to differ as if it was so then nobody would need to ask for help...

the simple fact of the matter is that if you don't know your players then you will not know what to do, if you do know your players then you will (or at least you will have a better idea...). I know for example that if I were to give my players the hairdryer treatment at half-time I would not want to watch the second half...

My answer remains, there is no plug-and-play, one-size-fits-all, guaranteed fix to ANY situation in FM - one man's treasure is another's man's tears...

My answer remains, there is no plug-and-play, one-size-fits-all, guaranteed fix to ANY situation in FM - one man's treasure is another's man's tears...

This is true enough. I didn't attempt to try a one-size-fits-all team talk advice, though. Although I don't give hairdryer treatment very often (mostly because too many players aren't up for it yet), it is efficient at times. In this specific case, under 3-0 by half time, telling them that you expect better/letting the team down is risky but since the game is "already lost" that risk is worth it.

Since the OP simply asked what we would do if *certain situation arose*, your answer "it is impossible to tell" is even more worthless than my "magic formula" is in limbo. I, at least, said the equivalent of "when situation X arise, I do this".

This is true enough. I didn't attempt to try a one-size-fits-all team talk advice, though. Although I don't give hairdryer treatment very often (mostly because too many players aren't up for it yet), it is efficient at times. In this specific case, under 3-0 by half time, telling them that you expect better/letting the team down is risky but since the game is "already lost" that risk is worth it.

Since the OP simply asked what we would do if *certain situation arose*, your answer "it is impossible to tell" is even more worthless than my "magic formula" is in limbo. I, at least, said the equivalent of "when situation X arise, I do this".

The equivalent of what, sorry? In your original post you basically gave a 'guide' as to how these things should be approached "If you... give them...", "if you... [do this]", "x players should be told", etc.. and whilst it could work for some people the majority will find it either has no effect or not the desired one...

I also don't say that it is "impossible to tell", I know my players and I know what to do with my team. I don't know your players so wouldn't have the first clue at where to start as regards giving such detailed advice as you did to the OP. I wouldn't know what has motivated a player to turn in a quality second half in the past, I wouldn't know which players are OOF, I wouldn't know which of your subs is best to fulfil any particular role or who might make an impact from the bench, I wouldn't know which players respond best to encouragement/praise and who respond better to harsh words/criticism etc. I could go on but I think you should see my point...

I'm still managing Rangers and quite recently played Hibs at home.

3-1 down in the 90th minute and game over as far as I'm concerned - but managed to score 2 injury time goals to draw 2-2.

It was probably the most dramatic result in my game so far.

The equivalent of what, sorry? In your original post you basically gave a 'guide' as to how these things should be approached "If you... give them...", "if you... [do this]", "x players should be told", etc.. and whilst it could work for some people the majority will find it either has no effect or not the desired one...

I also don't say that it is "impossible to tell", I know my players and I know what to do with my team. I don't know your players so wouldn't have the first clue at where to start as regards giving such detailed advice as you did to the OP. I wouldn't know what has motivated a player to turn in a quality second half in the past, I wouldn't know which players are OOF, I wouldn't know which of your subs is best to fulfil any particular role or who might make an impact from the bench, I wouldn't know which players respond best to encouragement/praise and who respond better to harsh words/criticism etc. I could go on but I think you should see my point...

I wasn't saying much more than what everyone of us gets through tool tips in-game. I know perfectly well that knowing the players and how they react to team talks is paramount in this game - and nothing of what my first post said could be interpreted as "do this regardless of what kind of players you have" unless you really wanted to. The situation was 0-3 at half time, played terribly - of course the team talk was bad! Are you really saying that if a player is nervous you put more pressure on him, and if he is complacent you sometimes ease the pressure on him? Do you put a lot of pressure on players with low morale?

Bottom line is, I assumed the OP knew his team - you assumed he didn't. I replied, as the OP requested, with what I'd do when I play a terrible first half. You didn't.

Lol no, unleash the fury just sounded cool in my head, I didn't even know a song with that title existed :D

I was actually thinking of the classic tape recording of him going off on a flight attendant while he was drunk. He told her he would "Unleash the f'in' fury" on her. FUNNY STUFF!!! Also I totally spelled his name wrong. Yngwie. (I think). If you get a chance look for the audio of the flight. I'm sure it's on the internet somewhere. He was ****ed. Literally and figuratively.

I wasn't saying much more than what everyone of us gets through tool tips in-game. I know perfectly well that knowing the players and how they react to team talks is paramount in this game - and nothing of what my first post said could be interpreted as "do this regardless of what kind of players you have" unless you really wanted to. The situation was 0-3 at half time, played terribly - of course the team talk was bad! Are you really saying that if a player is nervous you put more pressure on him, and if he is complacent you sometimes ease the pressure on him? Do you put a lot of pressure on players with low morale?

Bottom line is, I assumed the OP knew his team - you assumed he didn't. I replied, as the OP requested, with what I'd do when I play a terrible first half. You didn't.

I didn't assume anything... nobody can tell the OP what to do with HIS team when they are losing as nobody would know the correct "formulae" to use to make a difference. I don't know his players, I know mine! I also know that what works for me is unlikely to work for others as well as it does for me simply because what I do is aimed at MY players, those who I know it will affect and how (or at least I think I know ;) ). Usually something like a 3-0 HT deficit results in me making at least one sub at HT, shouting at certain players, encouraging others whilst ignoring some. I do whatever I feel is necessary to make a difference, my team-talk/tactics will reflect and be affected by what is happening on the pitch - it is that simple!

I'm still managing Rangers and quite recently played Hibs at home.

3-1 down in the 90th minute and game over as far as I'm concerned - but managed to score 2 injury time goals to draw 2-2.

It was probably the most dramatic result in my game so far.

How did you manage to draw 2-2 when they were 3-1 up! lol :)

I remember I read in one of the dirty scumbag tabloids once, (not sure which one now, but i think it was NOTW -BRITISH MEDIA, spreading filth since 1950s)

anyway back on topic the article was about how ROY KEANe used to behave when his team were not performing whilst he was at charge of Sunderland...

Long story short, he used to apaprently karate kick the blackboards, and try and headbutt the players.

Therefore I feel that FM should implement these new 'strategies; for half time for the next version, who knows, perhaps you might even be able to come back from 5-0

Archived