Run away!!

Has anyone else noticed since 11.3 a marked increase in the number of times that players run away from the ball and get hit in the back of the head?

I honestly never really noticed it before 11. 3 but now it seems to happen all the time. The scenario is usually the same - the player is standing facing another player about to cross the ball. As the he hits the cross, the receiving player turns and runs away from it toward where the pass will land. Because they're not facing the ball, it hits them in the back of the head and then bounces off in a random direction - usually into an own goal if its from a defending corner.

Anyone else been noticing this a lot?

Yup. Worst instance I've had of it is an attacking free-kick in my favour. Taker kicks it, hits the receiver (who turns away) in the back of the head. Then suddenly my whole defence charges forward as though I have the ball whilst everyone on my team ignores the ball completely. Opposition attacker picks the ball up, takes 3 seconds for my team to finally realise what's gone on, and by then their striker has 20 yards of space to run almost the length of the pitch and slot it home.

I know some of you are going to disagree but I am of the opinion that a lot of the "back of the head" ME issues and many others are actually down to the players themselves rather than the ME. Some matches my team is awesome, with no obvious flaws in the ME, in others my team are garbage, can't pass, can't defend, can't tackle, get hit with rather than attacking the ball, etc etc.. I put it down to my motivational skills (or lack of them) more than calling the ME broken...

When would you ever see a professional footballer, a split second away from heading the ball, turn and run away from it as though he didn't know it was there? Especially from a set piece - I could understand it more in open play perhaps.

Yup. Worst instance I've had of it is an attacking free-kick in my favour. Taker kicks it, hits the receiver (who turns away) in the back of the head. Then suddenly my whole defence charges forward as though I have the ball whilst everyone on my team ignores the ball completely. Opposition attacker picks the ball up, takes 3 seconds for my team to finally realise what's gone on, and by then their striker has 20 yards of space to run almost the length of the pitch and slot it home.

haha that almost seemed as bad as the ridiculous scenes being played out in The Manager...

I know some of you are going to disagree but I am of the opinion that a lot of the "back of the head" ME issues and many others are actually down to the players themselves rather than the ME. Some matches my team is awesome, with no obvious flaws in the ME, in others my team are garbage, can't pass, can't defend, can't tackle, get hit with rather than attacking the ball, etc etc.. I put it down to my motivational skills (or lack of them) more than calling the ME broken...

You are probably right about that. If only it was realistic that a mere chat in the dressing room before the match and at half-time could cause 11 brains to melt...

You are probably right about that. If only it was realistic that a mere chat in the dressing room before the match and at half-time could cause 11 brains to melt...

I don't think it's about melting brains, just the ME isn't able to accurately portray what IS happening and so opts for the nearest animation...

In FM 09 similar things happen, like my midfielders are passing to each other - not under so much pressure or anything, suddenly a player runs in the opposite direction, the ball hits the backs of his legs and the opposition comes in and gets it. Annoying.

however, I do manage some lowly teams, so I put it down to poor ball control stats, or low composure on behalf of most of my team ;) I'll have to train them harder

Archived