Team Talks 11.3

How often do you fire up or motivate your players?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. How often do you fire up or motivate your players?

• Every game
    • Sometimes
    • Never
    • When I get lucky

Does this seem right by you guys?

Pre-Match team talk

None: low nervousness, low complacency, low motivational bonus

You Can Win This: low nervousness, medium complacency, medium motivational bonus

Wish Luck: Medium nervousness, medium complacency, medium motivational bonus

For the Fans: High nervousness, low complacency, high motivational bonus

No Pressure: low nervousness, high complacency, medium motivational bonus

Half-time team talk

Encourage: medium nervousness, low complacency, medium motivational bonus

Letting the Team Down: high nervousness, low complacency, high motivational bonus

Expect Better: high nervousness, low complacency, high motivational bonus

Pleased: low nervousness, medium complancency, low motivational bonus

Thrilled: ?

...Every Match...: ?

Player-specific team talk

You Have Faith: medium nervousness, low complacency, high motivational bonus

Disappointing: high nervousness, low complacency, high motivational bonus

Expect a Performance: high nervousness, low complacency, high motivational bonus

Expect better (last match): ?

Pick Up Where Left Off: medium nervousness, medium complacency, medium motivational bonus

Whether any of these actually results in either motivation, nervousness or complacency (or have no effect) depends on the player's Determination, Professionality, Pressure, as well as the other hidden mental stats being illustrated by his personality type. Not to mention numerous other influences such as how big a favourite you are for the match, the opposing team's reputation, player morale, win or loss in previous match.

So if your player has 15+ determination and is a Driven/Model Professional/Resolute/Determined individual, he will be easy to motivate and difficult to de-motivate.

If he has 14 or less Determination and is a Balanced/Average/Run-of-the-mill/Fairly Professional or Fairly Determined person, his reaction to your team talk may begin to be difficult to predict.

-------------

This is probably not the first time someone have posted something like this here, but the reason I do it anyways is because there is no general discussion on team talks in 11.3 currently - not that I have seen at least - and I really think this could be an interesting thread.

Experiences negative or positive with team talks, problems, suggestions and solutions, or simply a response to my view above - I hope this thread won't die, as both I and my friends are struggling to make sense of the system.

Saying "wish luck" or "you can win" when the morale is very good or above can very often lead to complacency, i normally only use it when the odds are close or against me when playing away and on players which morale is good or less, to all the others i say "none".

I've been using the "none" team talk a LOT lately and it's working fine specially when the morale is high and there's no complacency reported by the ass.man pre-match.

If i'm expected to win at half-time and only have 1 goal lead, i say "don't let your performance drop" to all players below 7.0 and "you have faith" to all players above that rating.

Using "sympathise" when you are a goal down by half-time but it was a really unlucky goal and you've been dominating can really fire up a team as well.

Doesn't really seem right to me on the basis that it doesn't take into account any other circumstances.

I do all the team-talks and have a very young squad who need constant encouragement and I hardly ever criticise the kids (at worst they get 'none'). As a result my talks don't vary all that much. What I find is that after a few matches, a lot of the regular players "don't seem to be listening" on the basis that they've heard the same talk too many times.

On the other hand, if I drop a player for a few games, when he returns he is far more likely to respond.

One that I like is the individual 'pick up where you left off' - for most they get a motivational boost. On the other hand my best striker always gets nervous when I say that, so even if he had a stormer, the next game I'll give him the 'no pressure'.

By the way, you missed out 'half-time team-talk: none' - very important one, that! If I'm 1-0 up against inferior opposition at home that'll be 'encourage'; if I'm 2-0 up it'll be 'none' with individual talks such as 'faith' for the goalscorers.

Well, as you have noted, the OP wasn't meant as a complete guide to -what to choose- but rather an attempt at analyzing risk vs benefits of the different choices you have.

Each individual player will react differently to each one of them depending on the circumstances, but the risk of nervousness or complacency is different for some team talks than for others. The idea is that the correct choice depends entirely on the match and the players, but you risk less if you reduce pressure than when you increase it, while the benefits of the latter is generally greater.

As phnompenhandy said, although a bit differently in my version, if in doubt reduce pressure!

in FM10-11.2 complacency was the worst. Now I believe nervousness is much worse, as their Decisions, Concentration and Composure attributes drops to 1, in my experience. I therefore rarely use For the Fans and never Expect a Win.

Archived