What exactly does the 'Tackling' attribute do?

How does it tie in with Anticipation, Strength, Balance, etc etc?

I've read for other stats it works in some kind of priority system. With the technical attributes usually being last. So usually, you need to have enough mental and physical stats to be in the position to do the action. Obviously with passing and finishing it is easy to see how that purely relates to how accurately they can do these actions.

Is it the same for tackling? The stat is essentially how 'accurate' their tackles are? Or does it maybe include other things such as being able to recover quicker from a slide tackle, maybe being able to win the ball back from more difficult angles. Being able to make tackles more quickly.

If you gave a defender 20 everything, apart from tackling which was 0, what would happen? Would he just foul everytime? Would he miss completely?

So the only difference between a player with 0 tackling and a player with 20, is that the one with 0 will commit more fouls?

Not necessarily. He might just miss the tackle without even touching the player or ball.

It does what it says on the tin- how good is this player at dispossessing an opponent who has the ball?

Tackling is just one part of winning the ball though. Strength is an obvious one that also influences it. Just like how Composure and Decisions affects Finishing.

With most technical stats, it reflects final accuracy. So how close the cross, finish, corner, penalty etc is to the intended target. But for tackling I don't know exactly what it relates to. Is it how accurate their tackles are? So a high stat means they hit the ball more often, and a low stat means they hit the man or air? Does that apply equally to slide tackles and simply nicking it away from the player?

I have a very young squad. Most of them have very low physical attributes - especially strength and stamina, but the defenders have decent tackling.

What I notice in the 3D engine is that whereas they will often make a clean tackle, other times they are just steam-rollered by a stronger opponent.

Tackling is just one part of winning the ball though. Strength is an obvious one that also influences it. Just like how Composure and Decisions affects Finishing.

With most technical stats, it reflects final accuracy. So how close the cross, finish, corner, penalty etc is to the intended target. But for tackling I don't know exactly what it relates to. Is it how accurate their tackles are? So a high stat means they hit the ball more often, and a low stat means they hit the man or air? Does that apply equally to slide tackles and simply nicking it away from the player?

You're massively over complicating things. It's how good a player is at tackling. It really is that simple.

You're massively over complicating things. It's how good a player is at tackling. It really is that simple.

Its not as simple as that though is it. When somebody makes a thread about their strikers with 20 finishing not being able to score, everybody jumps on the composure bandwagon. Also off the ball, technique and so on. How is that any different from tackling? I dont think there is one technical attribute that isnt linked somewhere to either a mental or physical attribte so its a perfectly reasonable question to ask what is linked to the tackling attribute.

i would say, without being obvious, that it means how good a tackler the player is, so after everything else has been taking into consideration, ie anticipation, decisions, determination ect, then how good is he at actually putting his foot in to retrieve the ball. So if he is in the right place, right time, right position, how good is he at actually getting the ball off the opponent.

You're right - that's all it is! It is just one bit that determines how a player performs on the pitch.

Tackling is just the ability of a player to make tackles. Nesta and Maldini are two examples of good tacklers (in their prime), where they rarely made messy tackles, and basically won the ball rather effortlessly. Ferdinand is another example, where he basically just nicks the ball off defenders all the time. A worse example would be Koscielny, who is relatively clumsy at tackling.

A player with high Tackling attribute will tackle more often as well. That is the main benefit.

This seems most likely actually.

Yeah, definitely. I reckon the reason SI are kinda vague about things is because a lot of it works like that. It doesn't really indicate how good they are. Everyone is fairly equal. But the higher the stat, the more likely they are to do it in the game. So by the end, the outcome looks fairly realistic.

If that is wrong though, does tackling not have any relation to dribbling? For example, maybe a player with 10 tackling has a good chance of tackling someone with 10 dribbling, but he has next to no chance of getting it off someone with 20 dribbling

Archived