11.3 Match Engine Slow/Stuttery?

Ever since the new patch has come out, I've found that the ME hasn't been "flowing" like it did before.

I've tried updating my graphics card drivers, but still have the same problem.

Does anyone else have this happen to them or have any suggestions on how to get it back to normal?

Thanks in advance.

I think that's just the way it is. I haven't noticed any difference between patches.

I watch games with commentary only, and with FM10 the commentary was smooth and flowed well. With FM11, I find the commentary on passages of play can end abruptly, and in a couple of cases, didn't even register a goal (i.e. the opposition scored but the commentary never told me! I only noticed when I glanced at the score). All in all it's a bit jerkier I feel.

Yes.

Having played a few matches in full mode I will agree that there seems to be something slowing down the ME. Prior to 11.3 I didn't have any temporary freezes (running on the spot) or jumpy highlights but since the patch I do, every match, and a lot of it too... gets annoying when you can't actually see what's happening cos the ME is jumping...

I am running a fairly high spec system and the problem wasn't there pre-patch so it is probably patch-related...

It has always been smooth for me, but I sometimes suffer from the freezing/running on the spot problem. I'd love to know what causes it as it seems to happen really randomly.

Have you tried changing the graphical detail? Reducing this or switching it to auto usually makes things a lot smoother.

I have the frozen to the spot but still running issue at least once every couple of matches. I was going to search for this but I see a new thread on the main page and here I am... hopefully ironed out in the next game.

I wouldn't say it's every match, and I don't think it's the match engine per se, more of a computer limitation thing and how Windows manages memory and threads.

You can definitely mitigate things somewhat by making sure FM has maximum resources, and not switching/swapping out.

I get the running on the spot thing sometimes, but not every match - I'm more likely to see if I've alt-tabbed out for some reason. It doesn't really faze me, at least the game's well-programmed enough to handle memory and thread management without crashing (usually :D ).

I had this problem previously but it would always freeze the screen leaving me no option but to reboot my PC. It was intermittent and at first I thought it was caused by my Comodo AV updating during a match and found that I could set Comodo to game mode when playing. This didn't change anything and after a period of trial and error I found out it was the non default skin I was using that caused it. since changing back to the default skin I have had no further crashes but do get the occasional running on the spot incident which tends to sort itself out after 15-20 seconds or so.

I had this problem but sorted it by deleting some hidden files that FM had installed on my computer after i did that it ran smoothly again plus i started using a game booster aswell. I am sorry but i can not remember the exact files you need to delete, i think they may of been Cache files but i am not sure. There was a thread on here somwhere explaining what to do

I have the frozen to the spot but still running issue at least once every couple of matches. I was going to search for this but I see a new thread on the main page and here I am... hopefully ironed out in the next game.

I never had this problem till lately, I didnt see it as a direct correlation to the new patch, because it didnt start immediately after the update, but its definitely annoying. Can sometimes freeze for as much as a minute at a time, click the game screen (I play windowed) and the whole thing goes fadeout white then just suddenly starts up again after a period of time. Mildly annoying.

I have to say that mine never frooze at all. The only thing that happened was that it was very stuttery and i was unable to watch in full screen, but once i deleted the hidden cache files and started using a game booster it ran nice and smooth. I did all this before the latest patch came out and have had no problems as yet.

I had this problem but sorted it by deleting some hidden files that FM had installed on my computer after i did that it ran smoothly again plus i started using a game booster aswell. I am sorry but i can not remember the exact files you need to delete, i think they may of been Cache files but i am not sure. There was a thread on here somwhere explaining what to do

That makes sense actually, deleting the cache can often solve graphical problems. Just a shame we lose all our custom views when we do it, we could really do with the ability to export those.

I had this problem as well. I found that downloading and running ccleaner help quite a bit. I still get the 'running on the spot' thing occasionally but not as frequently as before and the freezing issue, where the game just stops for 10 seconds or more sometimes, has gone completely.

If you want to try this then download ccleaner from http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

I've had this intermittently since 11.3, or since updating my graphics drivers (both around the same time).

Interestingly, starting the task manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del) generally solves the problem. Yes, just opening it, I don't actually do anything.

(Windows 7 in windowed mode and affects both 2D and 3D, FWIW).

I have this issue with FM11 too.

My PC specs are:

3ghz dual core processor

6gb ram

8800gt graphics card.

Windows 7 ultimate 64bit

FM10 runs completely smooth all the time in the 3d on the same PC but with FM11 i have random freezes and periods in the matches when it just runs really slow and jerky, then suddenly is fine again. My PC is clean as a whilstle with all latest drivers, windows patches ect.

From what i can gather from a thread that i read a while back alot of the stuutering etc is caused by programes running in the background such as virus protecton. If you are using a laptop always make sure it is plugged in and that it's power saving setting is on the highest setting available. This increases the amount of power being used by the processors etc i was a bit skeptical but after doing it i was suprised at the results and by deleting the cache files and installing a game booster i have had no problems since. I must say that i never had any problem with freezing my major problem was with stuttery animation but that has corrected it's self after the above changes. I will try and find the thread regarding deleting cache files

I could not find the thread on these forums but i managed to find this hope it helps

We often advise people suffering FM graphic issue to "Clear the cache" without really explaining how to do that.... so here it is:

How to delete your Cache files

(First you may need to enable hidden files/folders, in Windows this is done through Control Panel -> Folder Options -> View -> Advanced Settings, then select 'Show hidden files and folders' you may also need to untick 'hide protected Operating System files')

Windows XP:

1. Open "My Computer"

2. Navigate to : "Documents and Settings\<Username>\Application Data\

3. Go into the "Sports Interactive" Folder.

4. Go Into the "Football Manager 2011" Folder.

5. Delete the "Cache" folder inside.

Wndows Vista/7:

1. Click "Start"

2. Click your username on the start Menu

3. Click on "AppData" and then "Roaming"

4. Go into the "Sports Interactive" Folder

5. Go into the "Football Manager 2011" Folder.

6. Delete the "Cache" Folder inside.

Mac OSX

1. Open Finder.

2. Select <User>

3. Navigate to Library\Caches\Sports Interactive

4. Delete the the "Sports Interactive" Folder.

5. In the Library folder find the folder called "Preferences"

6. Delete the "Sports Interactive" Folder.

Hope that clears up your problem.

I have a quad core cpu with 4gb ram and pre-11.3 I had no issue with the same apps/browser windows/etc open and running. Now, with the only change being to update to 11.3 I have issues...

whilst I'm not convinced that the issue is because of the patch, it does seem likely to have been a factor...

Pretty obviously a ME bug and not anything external as the problem has been re-introduced with a patch.

This is similar to the problems I had with FM09/10 freezing randomly for a couple of minutes (a few others had it too, it was never fixed in a patchbut went away with FM11). Disabling security services or telling them not to scan the FM folder or FM.exe makes no difference - it's a bug in the game and not elsewhere. Fwiw, FM 11.3 has re-introduced the game not responding randomly at any time (switching between profile screens, pressing continue etc) but on a completely different rig than I had FM09 running on.

Pretty obviously a ME bug and not anything external as the problem has been re-introduced with a patch.

This is similar to the problems I had with FM09/10 freezing randomly for a couple of minutes (a few others had it too, it was never fixed in a patchbut went away with FM11). Disabling security services or telling them not to scan the FM folder or FM.exe makes no difference - it's a bug in the game and not elsewhere. Fwiw, FM 11.3 has re-introduced the game not responding randomly at any time (switching between profile screens, pressing continue etc) but on a completely different rig than I had FM09 running on.

I agree with this. I've tried running the C Cleaner and deleting the cache files, but still have the same problem. I've got a new computer with a decent spec and as I mentioned before, the graphics drivers are up to date.

I didn't have this problem before the 11.3 patch. Is there anyway SI could release a hotfix to sort this problem out. It's very annoying not being able to watch the 2d match without it stuttering. The only solution I have at the moment is switching it from the default resolution to windowed every time.

I am not sure what else to suggest as i have said above i have not had any problems regarding freezing since i have downloaded the latest patch. Just one more idea i am sure that i read somewhere that some people had problems with stuttering and game freezing after they had updated their drivers, i have also heard that it can be to do with updating to windows 7.

well at some point today I am going to be updating my Win7 install... I'll report back on whether it fixes the ME or not :)

Reporting back...

I updated my Windows 7 to SP1 fully patched, updated my graphics card drivers to the latest (31st march) release and then played a match.

and the stuttering is gone! :D

however...

probably totally unrelated but the performance in said match was probably the worst I've had to endure - how it finished 1-0 was down to my keeper's brilliance rather than anything else...

I get a bit of jerky gameplay from time to time, it seems to happen to me mostly in cup games, my theory is the game is processing a lot of fixtures in the back ground, it usually smooths out around the 20 minute mark (game minutes)

I'd love to know what causes the players to run on the spot though.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had enough of the stuttering in the ME. Every time I want to play FM I have to switch it from windowed to default to windowed in order to watch the 2D ME without a hitch.

Shocking that SI can't sort a problem like this in 3 patches. I can play FIFA 11, which is far more graphic intensive and have absolutely no problems at all.

I won't be playing it for a while now. I really hope FM12 can sort this problem out because other than this, I don't have an issue with the game.

Archived