Closing in for the title team talk

My team just battered somebody 5-0 at home and there are two games of the season left. I've won the previous two matches but lost the game before that, generally speaking our form is a bit erratic, we'll be on a good run then lose to relegation fodder. In this case, should my post match team talk be 'delighted' or 'why can't you play like this every week?', with individual comments for a few players? This is by far my biggest win of the season, we've looked out of the title race for a while but could be top if results go our way.

I would say well done to the team and those with 8.0 or above 'delighted'

I do the same but have the 'delighted' threshold at 8.5 or over instead, because 7.5 to 8.5 is "had a fine game", and 8.5-10.0 is "made a real difference" or "turned in a performance of the highest quality"

Anyone below 6.5 ("quiet game") I also single out as being disappointing. Below 5.5 ("didn't play well") I single out as being angry at them.

If it's a home game, I will never say 'delighted' unless the player has a 9.0 + rating.

If it's an away game, I will say 'delighted' to anyone with a rating of 8.0 and above.

I use 'Why can't you play like this every week?' when I've lost the previous game but one this one.

Yep, well done team and delighted on those over 8. I've never tried on this version but older versions 'why cant you play like that every week' upset the players.

I find it crazy we are even having this conversation though. What has this game become? When half a dozen multi choice questions have become so important it starts to overshadow almost everything else. Yoiu know if you get it wrong your screwed.

I'm just very wary of complaceny issues as a result of the team talk, I've ruined seasons off the back of one casually applied team talk. Several of the comments above have made a good point though, I tend to get carried away with big results so 'pleased' would be more appropriate I reckon, cheers guys.

My problem is I'd wn like 10 games in a row then I'll start to notice my team talk fading (we can win) and I'll get a lucky win, then about 3 draws, then I will start losing every game. It happens all the time at some point. In those situations I go about 4 games using another team talk (usually for the fans) to power my main team talk back up, but that team talk will probably lose those 4 games. Its a nightmare if it happens at an important stage of the season.

I'm never sure what to do in those situations and its a bit irratating knowing I will have to lose a few to get back to a winning run.

The only one that seems to have the best long term success is we can win and there doesnt seem to be any other options.

When i do my team talks, i go by the policy...

6.0 and below = Angry

6.6 and below = Disappointed

6.7 and 6.8 = none/pleased

6.9 to 8.0 = Pleased

8.1 to 10.0 = Delighted

I also take into account how the other players have done. So if everyone played a 6.5 and a single player played a 7.5 id be delighted with that player.

I don't know if this effects consistancy, but my teams often have some long runs of consistant results (when winning and losing).

If you lose a match that you should be winning, selecting no team talk actually does have an effect also. I've actually won games with no team talk at half time with a come back. And don't forget to Interact with your players, praising them or telling them they should do better, as well as warn/fine if they are below 6.0.

Also don't be afraid to rotate a fringe player or two into your squad in matches you should be winning, as they as well as younger players your bring up will perform to try and gain a place in the first team and the other players won't be as complacent.

Archived