Oh for crying out loud...

You've got to laugh. You'd cry otherwise!

I am in my third season of a save in which I got Southampton to the Prem, only for Chelsea to headhunt me. I took the reins at Stamford Bridge, but find myself 6 points behind Man City with 8 games to go in the season. Man City's manager is Rafa Benitez...or at least he was. He's just been appointed manager of 12th-placed Newcastle United...

I know this is not a "new" thing - I've seen others post examples of it before - but it still deserves a mention in the hope that someone at SI towers will make sure this farcical eventuality an impossibility in future versions of the game.

On my save liverpool rehired rafa just to sack him again 5 month later. I thought that was a bit strange.

Chelsea rehired ranieri and hes been there 4 years.

Arsenal hired carlo ancelotti? yep, that will happen.

Man city aslso had carlo ancelotti and rafa at some point.

Rafa @ City is no surprise since he is one of the highest reputation managers available and he has no preference against City set in the editor. Also, City are not set as a rival of Liverpool to prevent him from joining on that basis.

I don't see why he has one of the highest reputations available. Apart from the season where Liverpool won the Champions league under him I can't think of any other major achievements :confused:

My issue is not the managerial merry-go-round as such, it's that a manager would leave a club he had guided to a 6 point lead in the title race, then leave with 8 games to go to join a lesser club in 12th place.

Frank Rijkaard took over from Rafa at Man City and managed to lose more games in the final 8 matches than Rafa had all season. Unfortunately my team faltered so they still won the title. I did chuckle when "Rijkaard has been labelled the mastermind behind the success." came up on the news feed. If my team hadn't wobbled he'd have probably thrown it away!

I looked on Rafa's profile after he left and the description of him was "Under-fire manager." and under General Happiness it said "Disappointed with how things are going." Well why did you take the job then you MORON! It is a bit ridiculous...

I don't see why he has one of the highest reputations available. Apart from the season where Liverpool won the Champions league under him I can't think of any other major achievements :confused:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rafael_Ben%C3%ADtez

Inter Milan are a blip on his CV. Mourinho worked his players in to the ground physically and mentally to achieve that treble last season. He warned in pre-season that the team needed 'fresh blood' because of the age of the players will most likely mean lack of motivation to repeat last seasons success. Moratti, being as scrouge-like as a chairman you could ever meet, basically told him to like it or lump it.

Injuries took their toll, having 12 players out at one point. Surprised he didn't walk, but why would you being paid that much?

Leonardo has said the same thing. The players motivation just isn't there, and fitness is a real issue.

You've got to laugh. You'd cry otherwise!

I am in my third season of a save in which I got Southampton to the Prem, only for Chelsea to headhunt me. I took the reins at Stamford Bridge, but find myself 6 points behind Man City with 8 games to go in the season. Man City's manager is Rafa Benitez...or at least he was. He's just been appointed manager of 12th-placed Newcastle United...

I know this is not a "new" thing - I've seen others post examples of it before - but it still deserves a mention in the hope that someone at SI towers will make sure this farcical eventuality an impossibility in future versions of the game.

Yes, it's ridiculous, no, i don't think there is any logical explanation as to why it happens. In my save, Fergie retired in 2012, only to be replaced by Christian Gross. Although someone tried to justify this( a man utd fan of all things), there is no justification. Rafa moving to Newcastle from a title chasing City is just pretty hilarious.

I love this game, i really do, but the manager situation(appalling appointments/merry-go-rounds) and some of the AI squad building are in my opinion the worst aspects of this game. Really awful.

the problem is that bad managerial appointments can affect the competitiveness of the game. I just used fmrte and replaced Gross with Guardiola, and gave Barca the young Porto boss Villas-Boas. I also used it to replace Tottenham's(one of the worst run ai clubs) mind boggling Allardyce appointment with David Moyes, who i think is an acceptable target for Spurs.

its not that much of a bug is it? i mean its not crashing the game

Oh, sure it's not "crashing" it in the "game stops working and crashes to desktop" meaning, but for sure it affect heavily the long-term gameplay...

Top Clubs hiring mediocre managers, Top Managers jumping ship at the drop of an hat for no reason, Clubs hiring managers who have been sacked more than a mediocre quarterback... if that's not an issue I don't know what it is...

Let's be honest, AI managers leave a lot to be desired as they are (due to inherently poor judgment/squad building dynamics), so when you have Top Clubs managed by sub-par personnel, things get 2x worse.

What is fmrte?

Football manager real time editor. It is a godsend for sorting out nonsense like christian Gross becoming Man utd manager.

Oh, sure it's not "crashing" it in the "game stops working and crashes to desktop" meaning, but for sure it affect heavily the long-term gameplay...

Top Clubs hiring mediocre managers, Top Managers jumping ship at the drop of an hat for no reason, Clubs hiring managers who have been sacked more than a mediocre quarterback... if that's not an issue I don't know what it is...

Let's be honest, AI managers leave a lot to be desired as they are (due to inherently poor judgment/squad building dynamics), so when you have Top Clubs managed by sub-par personnel, things get 2x worse.

I do agree. As i've said, it's the only part of the game i can't stand, which is why i use fmrte and give these clubs the managers they deserve, and therefore increasing the challenge. managers don't seem to move so often in 11.3 however.

The best thing about my particular example, is that 3 months into the following season, Rafa got sacked for being in....12th place! And after spending £157m during the summer* I might add, so at least that part was realistic... :D

*Newcastle got taken over if you're wondering why they have so much money. And it partly explains why Rafa joined them, but you still wouldn't leave during the title run-in. I wouldn't, anyway.

• 2 months later...
I use fmrte and give these clubs the managers they deserve, and therefore increasing the challenge.

You use the "swap position" option after the club has hired a random klutz, or is there a better way to do so? I'd like to "prevent" a pre-arranged appointment but I can't find a way to change it... I don't like to mess with the biographies though... Swapping managers would leave the "hired as ____ manager on dd/mm/yyyy" biography line in Mr. Average's profile...

Not that I'd look at it again, but still...

Oh, for the record...

In 2 game-days Fiorentina are going to hire this guy... who has been doing nothing at all since he had retired 6 years ago after a rather unremarkable career in lower leagues... ZERO DAYS as a manager, zero days as staff member...

whosthisa.th.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Really FM?! Really?!

What's wrong with Rafa to Newcastle? they've got a reputation for hiring completely incompetent and out-of-their-depth managers in real life so........

Naw, seriously, it's a real issue, one I've witnessed myself constantly. Also seen plenty of times where I have a huge number of trophy wins and an absolutely obscene win percentage, but I'm passed over by some run-of-the-mill club for some guy who has complete garbage for attributes, hasn't won a single thing in his career, and whose last job was as a goalkeeping coach for some Armenian 4th division pub team.

Yes, it's ridiculous, no, i don't think there is any logical explanation as to why it happens. In my save, Fergie retired in 2012, only to be replaced by Christian Gross. Although someone tried to justify this( a man utd fan of all things), there is no justification. Rafa moving to Newcastle from a title chasing City is just pretty hilarious.

I love this game, i really do, but the manager situation(appalling appointments/merry-go-rounds) and some of the AI squad building are in my opinion the worst aspects of this game. Really awful.

the problem is that bad managerial appointments can affect the competitiveness of the game. I just used fmrte and replaced Gross with Guardiola, and gave Barca the young Porto boss Villas-Boas. I also used it to replace Tottenham's(one of the worst run ai clubs) mind boggling Allardyce appointment with David Moyes, who i think is an acceptable target for Spurs.

As you are using the FMRTE why not bump up the attributes (ambition & patience particularly) of the top team's Chairmen. It should delay it happening again and could give you more of a challenge.

I am the year 2031 in my save and I have seen a lot of changes at rival clubs the best example i have is when I took the Valencia job.

Roberto Mancini was the previous manager but was fired and moved to city. Six years later after watching my Valencia side win the league every year Real Madrid signed Mancini to try and wrestle the title back.

After staying unbeaten and destroying every other team in the league, including a humilating 5-0 away victory against my valencia, Mancini was sacked. Real Madrid signed kaka as the new boss with a 6 point lead and 6 games to go including a home match vs valencia and a champions league final against Valencia.

Well some great decision making by the Madrid board led to my 7th consecutive title and my 3rd champions league as madrid became a shadow of there former self and imploded.

Got to be me my most memorable season of this save.

Archived