I hate winning at half time

Because I know that however well my team has played in the first half, and even if the opposition have played like eleven monkeys for 45 minutes, all it takes is a few choice words from the manager at half time for the opposition to be magically reinvigorated and become supermen.

Basically, what Im suggesting is that the influence of team talks is absurd.

Because I know that however well my team has played in the first half, and even if the opposition have played like eleven monkeys for 45 minutes, all it takes is a few choice words from the manager at half time for the opposition to be magically reinvigorated and become supermen.

Basically, what Im suggesting is that the influence of team talks is absurd.

It all depends on your squad personality.

If you are lucky enough to have "Highly professional" then you can basically shout as often as you like and they won't mind being whipped into shape, actually they prefer it.

Ambitious/highly ambitious is the worst.

Bunch of tossers.

Well put & I totally agree -

I just lost a game I was leading 2-0 at the half at West Ham with my 3rd year premier league Hull team. West Ham scored within 1 minute after the half - I went defensive, they quickly scored again. I went back to normal, I scored to lead 3-2, then they score 2 in a row to win 4-3.

Afterwards, they all congratulate Alan Curbishley on his wonderful words at the half. Every shot West Ham took they scored. In those 15 minutes, he must have told his team to never miss if they shoot, and they followed his instructions perfectly. This game can be so much fun!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Soccer Manager:

Well put & I totally agree -

I just lost a game I was leading 2-0 at the half at West Ham with my 3rd year premier league Hull team. West Ham scored within 1 minute after the half - I went defensive, they quickly scored again. I went back to normal, I scored to lead 3-2, then they score 2 in a row to win 4-3.

Afterwards, they all congratulate Alan Curbishley on his wonderful words at the half. Every shot West Ham took they scored. In those 15 minutes, he must have told his team to never miss if they shoot, and they followed his instructions perfectly. This game can be so much fun!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Perfect example.

i don't hate winnig at half time. if i'm 1 up, i try not to change anything. if i'm two up, i may try and slow the game down a little. more than that up and i slow the game down a lot, and counter attack in numbers coming from either flank. i guess it's all about keeping your opponents guessing. at half time, they go in, and their manager may change things about, and it's how you react to it that makes the difference between comparing you to alan curbishely and alex ferguson

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by turn it upto 11:

dont follow wolfsong, i did it , i was winning 2-0 i followed his instructions and lost 3-2 i learnt thats day i have to just do waht i want to succeed.at least you konw now thouggh its possible for you to comeback by saying th right thing </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You mean to say you tried Wolfsong's advice in one game, and lost, so you suggest no one use it. It may not work every time, as sometimes, yes, the other team do just play like gods, but on the whole his advice is very good.

Try it a bit more often, try to perfect it (you may have done it slightly wrong), as it can work.

Note also that the team-talk None is perfectly acceptable at half-time with a lead. It works pretty well for me with 1-0 and 2-0 leads:

All players on a 6: Disappointed

All players on a 7: Team (None)

All players on an 8: Pleased

Seems to work wonders for me.

Of course, all team talks depend on the players you have; if you notice that X isn't working for your group of players, don't do X anymore! icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cameron1911:

I never get this, except for the odd one.

I follow Wolfsongs guide to team talks and find that that works wonders. Especially when 1-0 up.

Give it a try, might help. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the suggestion but Ive been following Wolfsong's team talk guide religiously.

It's not so much a problem with my tactic, it's just that the opposition manager takes on the role of Pacino in 'Any Given Sunday'.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dirty1982dec:

i don't hate winnig at half time. if i'm 1 up, i try not to change anything. if i'm two up, i may try and slow the game down a little. more than that up and i slow the game down a lot, and counter attack in numbers coming from either flank. i guess it's all about keeping your opponents guessing. at half time, they go in, and their manager may change things about, and it's how you react to it that makes the difference between comparing you to alan curbishely and alex ferguson </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same here, that guide has been brilliant for me when judged over a decent period, say a season. Very few second half reverses anymore and even some comments from players saying how inspirng the halftime teamtalk was after a come back.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CookieColeman:

Because I know that however well my team has played in the first half, and even if the opposition have played like eleven ******* monkeys for 45 minutes, all it takes is a few choice words from the manager at half time for the opposition to be magically reinvigorated and become supermen.

Basically, what Im suggesting is that the influence of team talks is absurd. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, you just have to get the system right. You also have to pay attention to any tactical changes the AI makes at the half and react to them. So, for example, if in the first half, they played a 4-4-2 with wingers short f-arrowed, and they come out with wingers long f-arrowed, you have to respond by becoming more defensive - more defensive mentality, and make sure your wings are set to forward runs and RWB on never.

Playing against a top team, 2-0 up at half-time and playing against a poor side and 2-0 up at half-time need very different team talks. Not surprisingly getting it wrong is hugely destructive.

Team 2-0 up in a match they were expected to lose:

Manager: Don't let the performance drop.

Not a word of praise. Players feel under pressure to continue playing well. Morale drops. As a result, team likely to play badly for opening 15 minutes of second half. Opposition gets a boot up the backside and comes out fired up. Combination of the two leads to a quick goal, shifts in morale and increased pressure. Manager should have said 'Pleased' to keep morale up.

Team winning 2-0 in a match they should be winning 2-0:

MAnager: Don't let the performance drop.

Players realise that they have performed as well as expected but no more. Morale doesn't need a boost. Players don't need to be praised or punished. Look to finish off the professional job they started and performance to remain at roughly the same level. Likely to win three or four nil.

It's all about matching the type of talk to the match situation and the quality of the opposition. Fail to do that and you will deservedly get punished.

I would also add to what wwfan said by saying that what you say in the media can also have an effect.

If you publicly say your going to hammer the opposition and your two up at half time, if the other manager has high ratings for Man Management, Determination etc then his team talk could fire his team to victory after being a goal or two down despite what you say in your team talks.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Playing against a top team, 2-0 up at half-time and playing against a poor side and 2-0 up at half-time need very different team talks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And yet your examples were exactly the same.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by glamdring:

This is my biggest complaint about FM08 - when winning by 2-0 or more at half time it doesn't matter what I say at HT, we very rarely score or play as well in the 2nd half icon_mad.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, but doesn't that same letdown happen a lot IRL?

This is one area in which my IRL coaching experience doesn't help too much...we were almost never ahead at the half.

It's funny, because my assman is pretty unremarkable statistically (except for judging player ability and potential). I think he has a 10 or 12 determination and a low single digit in motivation, but for some reason, he's worked a treat. Most of the time he suggests "You can win today." and it works pretty regularly. I have a Lincoln City side that won League 2 in the first year and are in a fight for the top spot in League 1 through about 16 matches. As usual, I play with the real players box unticked. My team looks as if the Netherlands invaded Sincil Bank. One goalkeeper and 3 of the 4 at the back are Dutch as well as a midfielder, and a couple of bench players. Only a couple of English lads and those guys are on loan.

I do agree with wwfan. When you are playing a team you shouldn beat, don't give your lads a moment's respite, unless they are destroying your opposition. They need a little love when playing the Arsenal's and Man U's of the world if they are up.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gunnerfan:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by glamdring:

This is my biggest complaint about FM08 - when winning by 2-0 or more at half time it doesn't matter what I say at HT, we very rarely score or play as well in the 2nd half icon_mad.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, but doesn't that same letdown happen a lot IRL?

This is one area in which my IRL coaching experience doesn't help too much...we were almost never ahead at the half. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Quite possibly, but I don't know what real managers say at half time. I'm pretty sure it isn't a one line soundbite, but that's another matter!

Maybe most real life managers, when leading 4-0 at half time tell their team to just keep the ball, pass it around and hold the lead for a 4-0 win, I don't know. What I want to be able to tell my players when they are 4-0 up at half time (as my Werder Bremen team have been on 3 occasions so far this season) is to go out and try to score another 4 in the second half because I want them to win 8-0. Sure they may not manage it and the HT rollocking the opposition probablt got from their manager will have an impact, but not that much if they are vastly inferior to us.

I don't care if we end up losing 4-5 (Ok so I'd probably hurl a few things around the room, but we'll gloss over that icon_razz.gif) by trying to win 8-0, I'd rather that than just dossing around the whole 2nd half. And I know very well what my players did because I have watched almost every Werder Bremen game in full match mode this season icon_mad.gif

When I'm in front at half time, I've experienced that telling players that they shall enjoy the rest of the game, makes the players go out on a high on the 2nd half. Works almost all the time.

Archived