Coaches disagreeing with each other.

I have had a thought.

Generally, I skip my backroom advice meeting because the coaches never have anything half decent to say. However, one just came up and I decided to give it a shot.

A coach suggested that I put one of my promising young centre backs on an individual training regime to improve his speed, something I actually (for once!) agreed with. My ass man howver disagreed.

So I though, why are you disagreeing? I know backroom advice meetings are still in their infancy, so it is not like they are "broken" or anything. Generally, I dont take a coaches advice unless another coach agrees with him, which is rarely.

So my input here would be, it would be nice/beneficial/important if the coaches who disagree with any given advice would give us a reason for disagreeing with the decision, I think it would put us in a position to make a more informed decision, so maybe it is something for the future.

On another note, I keep getting the message "We struggle against 4-5-1" or "get overawed by teams with higher reps". It would be nice to get an explanation and a suggestion at a solution too!

Thoughts anyone?

The information is all there, but you're expected to use your managerial nous to work it out. Along with the advice your assman and coach give are their skills bars (on the right of the screen). Which one has better knowledge of the squad, better training skills etc? Your lads get overawed? You'd better take that into account in your pre-match press conference and team-talk, then!

The information is all there, but you're expected to use your managerial nous to work it out. Along with the advice your assman and coach give are their skills bars (on the right of the screen). Which one has better knowledge of the squad, better training skills etc? Your lads get overawed? You'd better take that into account in your pre-match press conference and team-talk, then!

i can see what the OP is saying though...

if the manager was to tell the ass man he was going to improve his speed, only for the ass man to say no, you'd want their opinion why!

if the manager was to tell the ass man he was going to improve his speed, only for the ass man to say no, you'd want their opinion why!

Perhaps he thinks it's easier to concede golazos when the center-halves are wearing boots encased in cement. :)

As Phnimoenhandy says, all the info is there. Hover the cursor above the skill bars and they give a % of the skill. Compare the two staff members skills of the one who agrees and disagrees, go with the highest % rating and use your management skills to suit and make the correct decision on the player.

This is actually a great feature as it shows that each staff member has his own opinion on the situatiion that comes up in the backroom advice screen as you staff arnt robots and will have opinions

As Phnimoenhandy says, all the info is there. Hover the cursor above the skill bars and they give a % of the skill. Compare the two staff members skills of the one who agrees and disagrees, go with the highest % rating and use your management skills to suit and make the correct decision on the player.
All the info is there, but we don't really know how the game interprets it. Like avoiding using the weaker foot, i usually train the ones labeled as "Right/Left only" to avoid it. But then there is my goalkeeper. I suspect training him to avoid using the weaker foot may cause a striker to snatch the ball in front of him from time to time, and the worst side effect from him using it is to concede a throw-in. I have no clue what so ever if the game handles weaker foot the way i imagine it, and that's where a little reasoning from the coaches would come in handy.

And I'm not really a fan of playing the "realism" card, but in real life, if the coaches told me to do something and couldn't give a reasoning behind it, i would sack them and get more competent staff :p

vlobben, that example is the kind of thing that a manager should be using their observation and judgment to determine. You don't know how a one-footed goalkeeper behaves? Observe. Many of your oppo gks in matches are one-footed; use the OI to force them onto their weaker feet and see how they behave. I repeat, the information is all there!

vlobben, that example is the kind of thing that a manager should be using their observation and judgment to determine. You don't know how a one-footed goalkeeper behaves? Observe. Many of your oppo gks in matches are one-footed; use the OI to force them onto their weaker feet and see how they behave. I repeat, the information is all there!

I dont disagree the information is there. It is just hidden behind many other factors. When i observe a player behaving in a certain way, i can never know if it is because he is one-footed, is his morale is low, if any of his attributes is at play, if the opponent manager gave a bad team talk, and so on. You can still say "but all the information is there!", and yes. However, when there is not one, but hundreds of issues that would be nice to resolve by observation, the workload becomes staggering. There are elements of the game that people have not yet found out how works, and that is despite some of the brightest and most patient minds doing months worth of research. The info is there, but it's sometimes damn hard to get to :p

vlobben, I'm not disagreeing with you at all over the facts, rather the interpretation. Right now, in real football life, the 50 million pound question is 'Why had Torres lost his form?' So much speculation, but no answers. FM replicates that marvelously. I encourage you to peruse my favourite forum, the Tactics and Training forum where real FM gurus such as wwfan, SFraser and heathxxx have worked out a heck of a lot about how the game works through their micro-management and fine attention to detail. They demonstrate that if you approach the game casually, your success will be at a certain level, but the more effort you put into it, the more you will get out of it. But there will always be uncertainties especially when it comes to personality, preferences and human judgment, which I believe is reflected very well in the game now.

Right now, in real football life, the 50 million pound question is 'Why had Torres lost his form?' So much speculation, but no answers. FM replicates that marvelously.

I agree completely with your example. When it comes to human reactions to ingame events, the "mystery" part of FM does a good job. However, the starting point of this thread was for coaches to give reasons when disagreeing with eachother, because they basically leave you guessing. In real life you would ask "why?" and receive an opinion as to why coach A doesn't think the player needs to focus his efforts on pace. Why is this not in the game? Your argument is that the info is in there, and can be found if you know what to look for. I don't disagree with this, but it seems a little strange having to dig through a bunch of statistics to find the answer (actually, what you will find is what you guess is the answer, since there is no way to know why the opinion is formed), when in real life you would walk up to the guy and ask :p

An "Accept" advice option would also be a helpful option, rather than clicking through the list just to say you have read them and then dismiss the ones you disagree with with no option to do anything with a lot of the entries. Of course there are many items that you can agree with or not but only having the "Dismiss" option just leads to more confusion in my opinion.

Archived