Experience vs Youth

Just wondering if anybody knows for sure or has experience of how much a players performance is affected by his experience (i.e. number of games played).

Would it be better in the short term to have a team of average players with lots of experience in their late 20s early 30s or would a team of regens with better attributes but very little games under their belts be better in the short term. I say 'in the short term' in terms of winning games/trophies during the first couple of seasons. Obviously long term the younger players will grow but im asking about the short term.

Basically how much does the amount of games previously played (experience) affect the performance a player gives in FM? I assume their is an affect but how big is it in FM?

everyone will have their own opinion on this but if your purely looking at it from a short term point of view than the experienced players would be better. I remeber on fm 10 i played a save as AC Milan and Inzaghi was amazing despite being so old.

Older players tend to have much better mental attributes which makes a big difference imo. If you have a look around at some of the loder players at the start of the game, particularly old strikers, there are some such as van Nistelrooy who have amazing mental stats for certain roles.

As always though a mix would be the best way to go.

with inexperienced players, i've always found that they are more likely to put in an amazing performance in a game than lets say a more experienced player with average stats compared to the regen...but then the inexperienced regen is also more like to put in an awful display...

so in general, the average experienced team will likely be more consistent but may not put in those individual top class performances...

i hate to give the obvious answer but a mix of both would be more beneficial in my opinion...

i have always tended to go with young teams, its always been easier to pick up very good young players rather than seasoned players for reasonable prices, but for me it depends on the player and how important he is to the team, my average squad age is usually around 23/24, but i always keep one or two older players around for experience. As long as they still perform to a decent level i dont mind what their stats are like.

So is it just determined by the mental stats then, in that the ME doesn't factor in the previous amount of games played, it just determines how well a player plays through his mental stats. Im thinking Ryan Giggs (IRL), in that the experience he has (i.e. amount of games he has played) allows him to continue playing at them top, even though he may not be physically the player he once was! (Although if I could be half as fit as he is now in my twneties I would be very happy!!!). So in effect having really good mental stats becomes equally or even more important than having really good technial and especially physical stats.

So in looking for youngsters should I look for those with good mental stats? Obviously if they have poor technical/ physical they would be limited by these but are mental stats this important? So regens with good mental woul perform like seasoned pros then or at least be more consistent from the off with the potential to grow?

Mental attributes definitely make a difference here. I find it best to have a bit of a blend: young upstarts with decent technical attributes and the pace and stamina needed to put in a decent shift; and calm heads to read the game and keep focussed. If you have a team that is only full of old fogies, their experience won't make up for their lack of physical abilities at the higher levels. They might be able to read the game well, but if no one in your team can move fast enough to intercept passes or has the stamina to keep going for 90 minutes, you won't do well either.

If you can find young players with good mental attributes, they will definitely benefit and they do tend to play better. Don't forget that there are hidden mental attributes like consistency and ability to handle pressure that also play a big part in determining how well players play.

Good responses. It's definitely a matter of mental (including hidden personality) attributes. Generally young inexperienced players are weak in these areas and they improve with age and experience. however, if you find young players with good 'uns they'll do great. I've made up a squad of very young players with high determination and professional attitudes (although most appear to be very inconsistent). They are physically the weakest team in my non-league division and technically below the division average, but due to their mental strengths they're holding their own and improving all the time. I'm getting lots of 'youth triumphs over experience' post-match news reports.

If you're into mid- or long-term planning, note that determination, work rate and professionalism are key to player development. Good attributes here will aid the young player in getting the most out of his training schedules, whereas poor attributes here will mean he's lazy and won't increase his CA to get anywhere near his PA. An older player will generally redistribute declining physical attribute points to his mental attributes. Giggsy ought to have near-perfect hidden personality attributes, making him an ideal tutor for your youngsters.

So is it just determined by the mental stats then, in that the ME doesn't factor in the previous amount of games played, it just determines how well a player plays through his mental stats. Im thinking Ryan Giggs (IRL), in that the experience he has (i.e. amount of games he has played) allows him to continue playing at them top, even though he may not be physically the player he once was! (Although if I could be half as fit as he is now in my twneties I would be very happy!!!). So in effect having really good mental stats becomes equally or even more important than having really good technial and especially physical stats.

So in looking for youngsters should I look for those with good mental stats? Obviously if they have poor technical/ physical they would be limited by these but are mental stats this important? So regens with good mental woul perform like seasoned pros then or at least be more consistent from the off with the potential to grow?

Yes and no, take giggs as your example, he plays a different role to when he was younger, which has allowed him to carry on being a big influence in his team, you have to also react to the fact the player is getting on a bit, adjust his instructions to get the most out of him. Great physical stats are important, but experience can pull a player through in certain situations.

So with age and improved mental and hidden stats players will become more consistent but because they are young, generally their consistency will be poor even if they have decent mental stats. So its less about the amount of games played and more about the hidden stats and mental stats that will determine how consistent a regen will be when they start out.

So as a stat the amount of games played actually has no influence on how they play, just those hidden and mental stats, but generally speaking these start off low so games and tutoring is needed to bring them on.

So in theory then a regen could start with amazing mental and hidden stats and play like a player who has played for ten years?

So in theory then a regen could start with amazing mental and hidden stats and play like a player who has played for ten years?

I can't speak for FM2011 with authority, but in previous FMs this was definitely the case. In 2006 I had several very young players with excellent mental attributes and they kicked bottom. Note that these players also had excellent physical and technical attributes at early ages - a few wonderkids and others starting off with high CA.

In my current FM2011 team I have a 21 year old midfielder who is easily my best all round player and my playmaker. He's got good (great for my team) attributes across the board He's not quite as consistent as he could maybe be, but nothing terrible.

Archived