other nationalities

On FM2011 I am the manager of Wales. I have a few players at Welsh clubs who have gained Welsh nationality but I can not call them up to the Welsh national side. Does anybody know why? These players on there first nationality say they are not declared for that national team so why cant I call them up? If anybody needs the names of the players they are Dorus de Vries, Fedderic Bodde, Angel Rangel and Albert Serran and they all play for Swansea. The first two are both Dutch and the last two are both Spanish. I have had other players who have got another nationality but these players I have been able to call up straight away. These players though were both English if that matters. If you need there names they were Zak Ansah and Jake Caskey. It has been really annoying as I have had limited midfielders due to injuries recently. Can anybody help me?

Cheers, harriesss

Cheers for the help.

but why would they take up Welsh nationality if they had already got European nationality if they didn't want to play for Wales? I had something come up with a Swedish player when I was manager of Millwall which said he had gained English nationality because he thought he was good enough to play for England. It then said something on the lines of that he would have to spend 5 more years in England to be able to play for the national team. The player was Alexander Kacanilic (different surname spelling) if that helps. It really confuses me.

Cheers for the help.

but why would they take up Welsh nationality if they had already got European nationality if they didn't want to play for Wales? I had something come up with a Swedish player when I was manager of Millwall which said he had gained English nationality because he thought he was good enough to play for England. It then said something on the lines of that he would have to spend 5 more years in England to be able to play for the national team. The player was Alexander Kacanilic (different surname spelling) if that helps. It really confuses me.

Because they can count towards the players trained in England thing I think. I could be wrong on that though.

I think sometimes even if they haven't declared for a nationality they may not be interested in playing for Wales. So the four players have already declared for nationality but it's not saying that. So they aren't interested. Sorry for the bad description.

On my game though Wales are first in the world rankings having won the World cup and European Cup so why wouldn't they want to play for the best nation in the world?

I think it could be something to do with the 'Gentlemen's Agreement' thingy, that doesn't allow players who gained nationality through residence to represent the respective national teams in the UK.

Similar to why Mikel Arteta and Manuel Almunia won't be allowed to play for England, even though they can qualify for a British passport through residency.

I think it could be something to do with the 'Gentlemen's Agreement' thingy, that doesn't allow players who gained nationality through residence to represent the respective national teams in the UK.

Similar to why Mikel Arteta and Manuel Almunia won't be allowed to play for England, even though they can qualify for a British passport through residency.

Alumunia was being talked about being called up to the English squad at one point so it was different with him

Alumunia was being talked about being called up to the English squad at one point so it was different with him

Talk is one thing. Whether it'll be actually allowed is still up for debate.

There was much hoo-ha about potentially calling on Arteta once too, but I think somehow someone found a loophole that said he can't.

Archived