'The save game could not be loaded'

Firstly, apologies if this belongs in another forum but I've read the FAQs and this didn't seem to be explicitly covered so thought it was worth asking here.

Basically, after using the game for just a couple of weeks I've gone to load my saved game tonight and the above message comes up, meaning I cannot play the game. Ignoring the fact that this it is shambolic to get such a fundamental error weeks after buying the game, I was wondering if anybody could suggest ways of overcoming this? In addition, I've had a couple of errors whilst playing the game before which have messed up the allignment of the screen and made the writing go longer (something about a file extension, perhaps?).

Hopefully someone can assist me with this as it's a real problem. I must say that although I've really enjoyed the game so far (think it's a big improvement on FM10) simply reading the FAQs and realising just how many problems you can face when buying the game is preposterous. I know you'll always have problems with a new game and it's hard to discover them until customers have started using it but not only is this not exactly the first FM game, the game's been out for a good few months and has had several new patches (the latest of which I have) and still such basic problems are being flagged up.

Appreciate anyone who can help.

Niall

The most likely cause is that you shut down your computer before the game had fully closed and so the game hadn't quite finished saving when it was closed.

A FARRRR more likely scenario is that his computer crashed while the game was saving. Lets not be so quick to blame the victim.

actually you don't need to start a new game. If your on Win 7 go onto the same game file and click restore to previous version. You will find it in documents - sports interactive - football manager 2011 - games - and then your selected file. Right click it and go to restore prevous version and it will restore your game

Ok, thanks for your replies. A couple of questions, if I may:

1) Unfortunately, Brobs17, when I followed your instructions it says 'there are no previous versions available'. Is there something I may have done wrong to prevent there being any backup files available? I repeatedly saved the game whilst playing (pretty much after every game) so it isn't that. Seems there's no way of retrieving the saved game, which is a shame.

2) How can I avoid this happening in the future? As stated, I don't appear to have any backup files saved, so if this happens again I can't restore a previous save as most seem to be able to. Obviously I can change the name of the file every time I save it (so if one ever corrupts, I can go back to a previous one) but that's an effort and presumably will take up loads of space (I'd be saving hundreds of different files). It's a possibility that I had a faulty shutdown whilst the game was saving but cannot be sure of that, so am wary of the same thing happening again. Anyone any suggestions?

• Administrators

I'd suggest having incremental auto saves on weekly, then after say a week (in real life) of playing, go through and delete every other one so they don't take up too much hard drive space. That's what I do with my games to be honest.

I'd suggest having incremental auto saves on weekly, then after say a week (in real life) of playing, go through and delete every other one so they don't take up too much hard drive space. That's what I do with my games to be honest.

Is '10 file Rolling Auto Save Every day' the best option?

• 2 months later...
actually you don't need to start a new game. If your on Win 7 go onto the same game file and click restore to previous version. You will find it in documents - sports interactive - football manager 2011 - games - and then your selected file. Right click it and go to restore prevous version and it will restore your game

ive just tried this with my save game that has been corrupted,,,,,,,,,,,,IT WORKS!!!!!! and its only a couple of months behind my old save so i can just do what i did in the previous save again and thats better than losing it all and starting again. Thanks for this knowledge

Archived