Most disappointing striker signing?

Has anybody ever signed a striker, either on a great/exciting deal or on a Bosman only to find they have performed like a bunch of tosh?

I brought in Eugene Seleznykov to Palermo on a free and saw his stats, his goalscoring record and figured he would fit right into my team as a target man or a lone striker.

34 Serie A appearances later, he has scored once from open play and lost the plaudits to the younger players like Abel Hernandez, Vaclev Kadlec and Damien Le Tallec. Even in the reserves, he doesn't seem to contribute a lot.

He is of Billy Paynter-esque proportions. A great goalscorer seemingly, but just so ineffective and unlucky perhaps? He is now restricted to sub appearances either when killing time or to cover for Hernandez as the spear on my 4-2-3-1 formation for the last ten minutes.

I can't start him because my team will look less potent.

Oh wow, 11 mil. Sorry to hear that. I have been reluctant to fork that out on anybody. For one I cant justify leaving a striker on those figures on the bench in favour of Abel Hernandez, who is a great talent. Given I favour one up front, it's a catch-22 as I can't expect him to play every game.

Jovetic. Signed him for newcastle on fm10. Never scored for me when he played as a striker so i shoved him on the wing. He was gone after a season and a half!

That's because Jovetic is not either a striker or a winger :) Especially not in Premier League...Advanced playmaker IMO.Never owned him though...

Jovetic. Signed him for newcastle on fm10. Never scored for me when he played as a striker so i shoved him on the wing. He was gone after a season and a half!

I tried him as a deep lying forward but had little joy.

That's because Jovetic is not either a striker or a winger :) Especially not in Premier League...Advanced playmaker IMO.Never owned him though...

I liked him on the left flank, cutting inside but I had Gareth Bale behind him to overlap (for Man City)

played him both on the wing and upfront in a 4-4-2 system, never did much good, kept screwing up 1 on 1's and clearcut chances. it was really disappointing to me cause i was exstatic when i managed to sign him..

unfortunately his mentality really didn't mix with the rest of the team so i had to sell him for a considerable loss :(

Petar Skuletic on my Galatasaray save on FM10. I had managed him at Celtic on a loan spell earlier in the game but was benched in favour of Marc-Antoine Fortune. I went to Porto and then Galatsaray where I found Skuletic had already been signed permanently. He was back-up for my main striker (Ignacio Scocco) and he could barely score, I was playing 4-5-1 with all the support he needed, players like Lucas Biglia and Diego Buonanotte were oncstantly giving him the ammo but he gave me missed chances.

Petar Skuletic on my Galatasaray save on FM10. I had managed him at Celtic on a loan spell earlier in the game but was benched in favour of Marc-Antoine Fortune. I went to Porto and then Galatsaray where I found Skuletic had already been signed permanently. He was back-up for my main striker (Ignacio Scocco) and he could barely score, I was playing 4-5-1 with all the support he needed, players like Lucas Biglia and Diego Buonanotte were oncstantly giving him the ammo but he gave me missed chances.

Yeah, Seleznykov can be the same. Missed a few open goals that I can remember, and also hit a few shots on the run nearer to the corner flag...

Giuseppe Morello and Glynor Plet made quite a craptacular attacking duo at Aalesund... I signed both for free with solid expectations...

Plet scored 2 in 10 games before being shipped to Pamplona for 1M

Morello scored 5 in 23 games (spanned over two seasons) and then was sold to Frosinone for 250k

Luckly I had Dawid Janczyk as first-choice striker, but the horrible performances of BOTH potential partners forced me to go for a 4-2-3-1 instead.

I played Jovetic at AML in FM10 he was class

Not technically signing, but I started a Liverpool save excited at the prospect of Carroll and Suarez. They were rubbish. 2 in 27 for Carroll, 10 in 35 for Suarez. Awful.

for me they both got around 15 goals in the EPL each and only suarez reached 20 goals all comps .. and as I posted before I bought in podolski to get goals but he did worse than carroll

Also from what I see on other saves Ai manager never plays carroll ..

Brought a 20 year old from PSV called Joop Plet for 11 million, his record there was almost a goal a game, he got 5 in 16 in the 6 months till the end of the season, not bad as he came off the bench for a few, then none is 13 games, about 8 starts, so I loan him out and he gets 11 in 16, why cant he score for me

Marko Pantelic on FM09 for Ajax. Shudder

Wow, Serbian strikers seem to be causing the most problems (no attempt to be racist).

Isn't it the worst feeling when you sign a player...and you expect, actually, you know they will be the missing piece, the transfer that people will remember for years to come...only for them to bomb out...

Mine was a regen back in FM10 in around the year 2025...I had a great York City team, i had taken them from conference football to title challengers...but i could not win the title...coming second every year started to grate on me...i needed a bona fide goal scorer...the rest of my team was very solid but i just lacked the fire power to really push on...and being a tight a*** i'd never forked out big bucks for a player...

Untill this regen came along...at the age of 19, he had stats of 18 for finshing, composure and off the ball...plus the speed of cheetah...he was tearing up the dutch league and in his last season there, broke the most goals in a season record...so for once, i forked out £30m+ to get this guy...

Well what a waste of money he was...scored like 10 league goals in about 150 appearances (i kept playing him as i hoped he would come good) and the one time i do drop him, he throws a paddy and ruins the morale of my whole team!

Mattia Destro. I bought him to Bayern in spring window to replace Gomez at 7 million. He played 20+ matches and scored 2 goals. However, he contributed to the team by allowing Robben to top the scoring chart. Thankfully, this season he's starting to score almost every game.

I got Benzema in first season on FM11 with Tottenham. He was terrible, played pre season games and was banging goals in left right n centre but then started season and scored 5 goals (3 in a game) in 20 games in all. He also had 2 long spells of injuries, so is now on season long loan at Juve.

Archived