How often do you reform your squad?

Maybe because this is a discussion forum?

Anyway, as I only sign senior players to one year deals it is not unusual for me to have a different 6-7 players in my squad a season due to losing players either by releasing or bowman.

Maybe because this is a discussion forum?

Anyway, as I only sign senior players to one year deals it is not unusual for me to have a different 6-7 players in my squad a season due to losing players either by releasing or bowman.

ah sorry just read it again i meant huge reform , for example i know want to just sign youth and i am letting quite a few players go like nani , rooney ,smalling, fabio and i also iam trying to heavily reduce the wage bill

Depends who i'm managing. I like continuity, but i also like keeping a squad fresh. I also much, much prefer smaller squads.

For instance, at Tottenham, i more or less leave it for the 1st season, then sell a few/buy a few, and do that every year if needed. If there's a youth player coming through, sometimes i will sell the senior player in his position to bring him through. Like i sold Agger to Real for £15m just so i could bring Wilson through. That's also the problem with ai clubs, they don't develop youth very well.

i sign everyone on frees, then tell them that im transferlisting them for bad attitude and then make about 30-40 mil then buy good players, i also like to have at least 3 16 yr olds in my starting XI AT ANY GIVEN TIME

i refuse to play anyone over 25

yeah too old by then , i had to sell messi cause he hit 25 and was aging, his mental stats started to drop like flies, i was happy to get 25 mil out of him , a great DEAL!!

yeah too old by then , i had to sell messi cause he hit 25 and was aging, his mental stats started to drop like flies, i was happy to get 25 mil out of him , a great DEAL!!

it's all about cash inflow

Yeah but surely your messing with the consistenty (sp) of the squad and how they work together, also what about leaders of the squad and experience , would you not want an experienced captain and not a 16 year old regen leading the team?

would you not be sacrificing experience for cash flow , does that not impact how you do in the cups/ league if not well done :p

I rarely buy less than 6-7 players per season. If the squad is in great need of change (like whenever you take over a new club), those 6-7 players are normally strengthening the first XI (2-3 players) and the rest are strengthening the squad. Later, when the squad is reformed, I sell off or release the weakest 3-4 players and replace them with 3+ star players. The rest are youth signings.

It depends...

In my current save I haven't had the chance to "settle down" at a club long enough to actually go through a radical turnover, but as a general rule I sell anyone who's over 28 and with two years left on their contract.

Basically I try NOT to lose players on Bosman and I sell the Top Players when they're close to their peak... Sure, I probably miss their last one-two good seasons, but at least I can get plenty of money for them and I don't risk getting stuck with a declining 32yo player on a 5M p/y contract nobody's going to afford.

Usually said transactions bring in enough money to buy an adequate replacement, if I didn't find him already on Free Transfer ;)

It's probably around every 2-3 years for me, or anytime that the wage bill gets really out of control. I'm managing Chelsea, so that's a fairly common occurrence. I like to keep my squads young, I prefer to develop regens and then sell them off when they're reaching their peak and are worth a good amount. I do keep some at the club long term, but as soon as they try and break the wage structure I like to work to (Nobody over £110k p/w) then they're out. It keeps the game interesting and challenging.

It's probably around every 2-3 years for me, or anytime that the wage bill gets really out of control. I'm managing Chelsea, so that's a fairly common occurrence. I like to keep my squads young, I prefer to develop regens and then sell them off when they're reaching their peak and are worth a good amount. I do keep some at the club long term, but as soon as they try and break the wage structure I like to work to (Nobody over £110k p/w) then they're out. It keeps the game interesting and challenging.

Yeahs i'm trying that now i guy wanted £30k pw to £130k pw, needless to say hes leaving in the summer :p

When managing lower league clubs, climbing up the leagues, I tend to have a revolving-door transfer policy, making wholesale changes each season. Mainly this is because I'll have players who may have been good enough in the previous division, but will struggle to compete at the higher level.

If managing one of the "big" teams for any length of time, then it's usually a more gradual thing. Where possible, I try not to introduce any more than two or three players into the first team each season. That's new signings, of course. Younger players promoted from the reserves or youth team, will already be settled at the club and used to the style of play I favour tactically, as I always employ the same tactical systems for first team, reserves and youth team. I do tend to sign a lot of young players though, as inevitably after a few years, there will be those that don't "make the grade" at my club, thus will be sold on eventually.

Yeah too, while rising the divisions you have to get rid of loads of players every season and bring in loads of new players, no choice, every season practically your entire first team squad gets replaced.

Now I'm in the Prem I've had to replace a load too as we improve and get more money/stadiumsize/everything, often signed 7 odd players per season. But now I've a young squad with only like five first teamers older than 25 and most around 21 and I dont expect to make massive changes from now on unless finances require it or there's a young player coming through who I believe I can train up easily and sell off one of my older players to make way.

I do tend to sign a lot of young players though, as inevitably after a few years, there will be those that don't "make the grade" at my club, thus will be sold on eventually.

This is also what happens to me a lot, I end up with a large number of good young players who just can't make the last jump to excellent and make it at my club. I make a good profit on transfers each couple of years though.

As it has been said before in this thread when coming up the leagues i tend to change a lot of the squad every year.

When i manage a higher profile club i like to buy players that are young and gradually work them into the first team. I prefere to have players that have been at the club for a long time work there way through. Every now and then i will spalsh out on a big name/price signing to replace someone in my squad but it would always have to be a vast improvement or a player that will offer something different to what i already have!

At Palermo I have signed about 40 players and released/sold 45-50 in four seasons. The co-ownership of some of those somewhat made things tricky but I changed the style of play and formation and some were either too robust or lacking in something else. I only had two CB's too that were decent enough and I conceded too many goals from set pieces. The squad also had no width and little flair so I gradually introduced it on a limited budget and of course, some of the players you pick up in those circumstances are either hit or miss.

They also had no youth system so I developed that and brought in several from all over Europe to supplement my own.

This is my strategy for any team though unless you're a big club who already has a versatile squad and thiving youth system. That's why I enjoy the game.

At Palermo I have signed about 40 players and released/sold 45-50 in four seasons. The co-ownership of some of those somewhat made things tricky but I changed the style of play and formation and some were either too robust or lacking in something else. I only had two CB's too that were decent enough and I conceded too many goals from set pieces. The squad also had no width and little flair so I gradually introduced it on a limited budget and of course, some of the players you pick up in those circumstances are either hit or miss.

They also had no youth system so I developed that and brought in several from all over Europe to supplement my own.

This is my strategy for any team though unless you're a big club who already has a versatile squad and thiving youth system. That's why I enjoy the game.

You signed 40 players!!! do you intend on using all of them???

You signed 40 players!!! do you intend on using all of them???

Haha, I meant that over four years, I had signed them and that was for the first team, youth team etc. Many were "filler" material and loan deals (on 1-2 year deals at the most) because my board are so tight financially with low stadium turnouts and a weak youth academy. Now I am in the Champions League and contenders for the Serie A, I finally have some serious funding and am able to buy quality to supplement the youth I have farmed and also my more established first team players. So I average 10-11 signings but outgoing, there are 12-15 per season also. Hopefully next season onwards, I can streamline a bit!

Usually when I get promoted. If I struggle to survive, it'll happen again the next season most likely. In my first season in the PL I brought in 9 and sold 6. My second season brought in 10 and sold another 9. Since then I've been pretty comfortable so I keep it to about 3 or 4 now.

When i play as liverpool i try to bring in as much quality as i need in the first few seasons to make the squad good enough to challenge for trophies, after that i mainly sign youth and bring them through to replace players who are ageing.

I have no age limits for my players, i basically keep them until they stop performing, if they've been a good player for me i'll probably even keep them until they retire and try to make them a coach or something.

I try to keep the squad mixed with quality first team players as well as giving opportunities to promising youngsters and i don't mind selling a player in their peak if they become unsettled.

Not a bad question to be honest,

Suppose it depends I like my long term Lower League games and usually when moving up a division I have one or two players who I know will not be good enough for the level I get to therefore I usually look to replace maybe 4 of my squad per preseason.

In my current Halifax game I know my Evo-Stick squad is good enough for Blue Square North so I know radical changes will not be needed to win Promotion or Challenge in the second season therefore I might for instance bring in a couple of loans to cover injuries.

I have a question though how many signings do you usually bring in during the transfer windows?

I tend to evaluate the squad at the end of the season. Anyone who hasn't played much or hasn't played well is moved on, unless they're young, and I normally have a young player waiting to take their place. I rarely buy players over the age of 25 because it seems like a waste of money. If my squad's average age is above 21, I know I'm doing something wrong.

I tend to be pretty loyal - I'll transfer players if they're really not good enough, but if a player's had a great career with my club, I'll keep them on as rotation/backup players until retirement date, assuming they're realistic about their compensation.

On my first season, I sign a few existing talented players around age 20-23 if I don't like my existing 1st team squad. Then, I slowly sell out my existing players on my 2nd and 3rd season, and start using my new signing. But from my 2nd season and forward, I don't sign any players who's older than 17. When those players reach around age 20-22 and is good to be a 1st team player, I start using them :) My whole transfer policy is to get 25 trained by club players for the CL :D

And I never sell any of my existing players if they are on my 1st team squad even if they grew old. I just give them coaching role or let them retire until they reach age 35-36. But I do sell those youngsters who I think won't be good enough for 1st team when they reach around age 22, because I usually sign 3-4 players each season.

Most of the time, if I've had several years of success, I'll sell off the older players and bring in a bunch of talented youngsters, though try and keep the balance about right, so that we're still capable of winning things. It's how I make most of my money. On one save, I sold Dzeko, Agger, Robben, Ronaldo(I took advantage of the transfer glitch,), Modric and Tevez (Modric, Dzeko and Robben were free)off, to make way for the talented youth I had. This was about 4-5 years into the game as Liverpool, made over 100 million profit from selling them, and the talented youth did the job.

Once I get a solid "core" of players, I usually start dumping all of my money into snapping up good youth prospects; if you sell a player for 10 million, that's probably four or five brand new youth prospects, and I just start to develop those. It works really well when it comes time to deal with homegrown players (but it usually means there are a few seasons where you have undermanned squads in Europe, which can suck).

Archived