Will I be approached by higher clubs if I do well?

Then my game is seriously f***** up...

I am 4 years at Merelinense in Portugal, lowest division in Portugal.

I started the game unemployed with auto reputation.

Relegation candidates no.1 all 4 seasons, but however I got them to the Highest Division: Liga ZON Sagres.

Me being Dutch I am linked to several Dutch teams, never the favourite ofc. Never been linked to any Portugese club...quiete odd.

So maybe you lads can explain to me what it is with my game, but I haven't had great experience with starting unemployed.

I always start with semi-pro, because this reflects real life for me. But I never could get a job, getting no job-offers.

Anyone can tell me?

Then my game is seriously f***** up...

I am 4 years at Merelinense in Portugal, lowest division in Portugal.

I started the game unemployed with auto reputation.

Relegation candidates no.1 all 4 seasons, but however I got them to the Highest Division: Liga ZON Sagres.

Me being Dutch I am linked to several Dutch teams, never the favourite ofc. Never been linked to any Portugese club...quiete odd.

So maybe you lads can explain to me what it is with my game, but I haven't had great experience with starting unemployed.

I always start with semi-pro, because this reflects real life for me. But I never could get a job, getting no job-offers.

Anyone can tell me?

Auto rep with the first club you took (lowest Portugese league, favourites for relegation) would probably mean a lower rep then starting with semi-pro.

Auto rep with the first club you took (lowest Portugese league, favourites for relegation) would probably mean a lower rep then starting with semi-pro.

Even so, after 4 years getting promoted to the highest league, wouldn't that mean I got some attention from higher rep. clubs?

In my save, only Dutch clubs being linked to me, no Portugese, which IMO doesn't make sense.

The nation I work in, doesn't even notice I have achieved so much with so little, that kinda puts me off.

Even so, after 4 years getting promoted to the highest league, wouldn't that mean I got some attention from higher rep. clubs?

In my save, only Dutch clubs being linked to me, no Portugese, which IMO doesn't make sense.

The nation I work in, doesn't even notice I have achieved so much with so little, that kinda puts me off.

How many managers have been sacked/have resigned in Portugal since you got promoted?

Which other nations do you run in your save?

I think the main issue isn't that you're being overlooked by Portuguese clubs... it might just be a matter of you not being considered "good enough" for the clubs in need of a new manager.

Let's say Porto or Benfica sacked their managers, surely you wouldn't be a viable candidate, even though you've done well at a smaller club.

Unfortunately, much like real life, the FM universe is very elitist, so you'll see mediocre EPL managers landing prestigious jobs despite them having been barely ok, while you can win left, center and right in Belgium or Denmark (even kicking some Top Club's ass in European Cups) and still get laughed at by Bolton if you apply for the job there...

This is how my journeyman save is unfolding...

* Jubilo Iwata (Japan). 16 months. Domestic treble (J-League, Nabisco Cup, Emperor's Cup), Asian CL semis.

* Aalesunds FK (Norway). 3 years. 2 league titles, 1 3rd place. 2 Supercups. Europa League Quarter Finals (via CL group stage)

* Cameroon. 9 months. Won Africa Cup of Nations

[Patch 11.3]* Palmeiras. 11 months. Won the league

* Sunderland. 11 months. 8th place in EPL

* Chelsea. 6 months ongoing. currently 8th, FA Cup semifinals to be played. Took over when the club was 15th.

So I started with Auto reputation and it took me a lot (and the 11.3 patch) to get sort of noticed, DESPITE having achieved a lot with a small club like Aalesund... To be fair my stint at Sunderland was far from stellar, and it shouldn't have earned me a shot at Chelsea.

I suspect it's all about the LEAGUE REPUTATION, and little about how well you do considering the standard of the league/players...

When I was managing Aalesund I defeated Wolfsbutg, Olympiacos and Rubin, just barely lost to Juventus and Villareal... now those were remarkable displays... yet I needed to relocate to Brazil to then get a shot at EPL mediocrity...

This needs more revamping for FM2012

I think the problem comes if you start low and perform too well too quickly. Your rep increase can't keep pace with the way your club is progressing up the table. Therefore the only clubs getting interested in you are ones who are higher than where you started but lower than where you are now.

However i don't think it's just about the league rep but the competition rep because a Euro cup final and victory in the League cup in england has seen me take a big leap in reputation

In a season and a half my rep has gone from

6139-----7549

6260-----8091

5498-----6607

despite not finishing near the top 4 with a team expected to come 6th to 8th.

What could be another problem is the other managers reps not taking a big enough hit once they get sacked/underperform. Or there needs to be a change in CA if that is what is also looked at.

For example in my save Moyes has been sacked by Mallorca, Fulham, Atletic, then got birmingham relegated yet was hired as Scotland manager.

His Ca is = to his PA which is hella high.

However i don't think it's just about the league rep but the competition rep because a Euro cup final and victory in the League cup in england has seen me take a big leap in reputation

There you go...

England... ;)

When you manage an English side (EPL is 4.5* competition) your results are ipso facto better than anything achieved in smaller countries...

3 years of domestic dominance and European fairytale with a Norwegian midtable act --> Palmeiras

8 months of unremarkable midtable mediocrity at Sunderland --> CHELSEA!!!

got Southampton into the premiership in 4 years, first season in the prem i finished 15th...nothing spectacular but flooded with offers from other clubs...most recently Spurs and Bordeaux!

Another triumph for EPL superbias ;)

What could be another problem is the other managers reps not taking a big enough hit once they get sacked/underperform. Or there needs to be a change in CA if that is what is also looked at.

For example in my save Moyes has been sacked by Mallorca, Fulham, Atletic, then got birmingham relegated yet was hired as Scotland manager.

His Ca is = to his PA which is hella high.

Indeed...

Reputation and attributes should reflect the managers' career... it's stupid seeing the likes of Mowbray, Aguirre and Mancini taking over at one big club after another despite them being sacked and/or underachieving.

To be fair in south africa the manager who won the league 2 years in a row with an unfancied team isn't getting offers from bolton or Fulham either.

South African clubs don't have visibility outside the country/continent, and, with all due respect, squaring off against Etoile du Sahel and Zamalek isn't exactly the same as reaching European Cups' latter stages.

Back to Europe... I think it'd be an interesting story should a manager turn, say, Jablonec or SonderjyskE from "domestic filler" to "international outsiders"... and some clubs from bigger countries could definitely be interested.

Sure, I wouldn't expect one of the Big Four to hire him straight away, but at least SOME INTEREST from clubs that in FM go for unproven former players or for accomplished inepts...

I've been offered a couple of higher rep team jobs after starting in the BSN with Sunday league rep. Most are from "bigger" teams in the same league, but also had the odd offer from teams a division higher. Just that they looked like they were doomed and we were on for promotion, so I wasn't interested.

I've been linked with absolutely loads of other clubs, but I've never applied or expressed interest in the job. All the clubs have been in England.

I've not had any offers from teams several divisions higher, like I did on FM2005. Started in L2 and quickly moved to Preston before replacing Keegan at Man City a few years into the game. Two offers from teams in higher divisions, despite never really achieving that much until I'd been at City for a few years.

South African clubs don't have visibility outside the country/continent, and, with all due respect, squaring off against Etoile du Sahel and Zamalek isn't exactly the same as reaching European Cups' latter stages.

Back to Europe... I think it'd be an interesting story should a manager turn, say, Jablonec or SonderjyskE from "domestic filler" to "international outsiders"... and some clubs from bigger countries could definitely be interested.

Sure, I wouldn't expect one of the Big Four to hire him straight away, but at least SOME INTEREST from clubs that in FM go for unproven former players or for accomplished inepts...

I really don't think anyone in the (big 3/5) leagues would care if someone took an average norwegian team to the europa league quarter finals...possibly a move to a mid table portuguese or dutch team might be realistic.

I really don't think anyone in the (big 3/5) leagues would care if someone took an average norwegian team to the europa league quarter finals...possibly a move to a mid table portuguese or dutch team might be realistic.

Fair enough, but then explain how an 8th place with Sunderland can be enough to win me a big fat contract at Chelsea :D

The thing is: while long-lasting impressive (yet "unsung") success at random 2nd-rate clubs in 3rd-rate nations means diddly-squat in the big picture, unimpressive results at a 3rd-rate club in Top Nation mean a lot.

I just take exception to that disparity.

I don't remember Sven Göran Eriksson or José Mourinho needing a season or two at mid-table acts before landing top-flight jobs once they had shown what they could do with "lesser material"

P.S. it's like being snubbed during a job interview because you have a Community College degree, just to see they hired a guy who attended a handful of classes at Harvard.

I stand corrected...

earlier I replied that I haven't got any job-offers and such.

Yet yesterday a relegated Dutch team approached me, for the first time in 4 years, maybe I jumped to conclusions.

I still find it odd, that no Portugese club shown any interest in my ability's. I've done great domestically.

I don't remember Sven Göran Eriksson or José Mourinho needing a season or two at mid-table acts before landing top-flight jobs once they had shown what they could do with "lesser material"

What do you mean by that?

Archived